The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the…

The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and… (edition 2012)

by Cory Doctorow, Charles Stross

309None36,007 (3.4)9
Member:jdayrutherford
Title:The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and awkward social situations
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Other authors:Charles Stross
Info:Tor Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Hong Kong Collection
Rating:***

The Rapture of the Nerds by Cory Doctorow

English (18)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (20)
It was special.

Took me forever to read. Mostly due to changing jobs and schedules, but also just because it took a lot of effort to digest. Was really expecting a Doctorow book, but it felt a lot more like stross.

I'm not really sure I processed most of it, especially really the very end.
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
This crazy, almost phantasmagorical, novel seems to have been conceived as a vehicle for the unconstrained self-indulgence of its highly intelligent authors. Many of the ultra-intriguing conceptual ingredients -- tech singularity, transhumanism, mind uploading, conversion of stellar systems into Matryoshka brains, etc -- are the same as in Stross's _Accelerando_, but the story line is very different.
  fpagan | Jan 7, 2014 |
Tons of neat ideas. Started out well, then felt thrown together some in the middle, but sorted out nicely again in the end. ( )
  skraft001 | Dec 10, 2013 |
A fun romp. ( )
  SChant | Sep 18, 2013 |
This was holding my attention at first, full of cool ideas, etc. But now I'm thinking of abandoning it. The main character is just ticking me off too much. He's a doormat. And the only comparison I can think to make is to Arthur Dent, but I'm sure there's other characters like that (other British everyman chars?). Thrown into a situation not of his own choosing and ordered about by everyone around him. He doesn't seem to have any agency of his own. And maybe there's a point to that, but it makes for a very annoying read. I like Doctorow's young adult characters better, and especially the girl ones. I haven't read enough Stross to know if this is typical for him.

update: I gave up
1 vote Jellyn | Aug 14, 2013 |

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stross, Charlesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wirth, MaryDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cory: For Alice. I renew my vow not to fork any new instances without your permission.

Charlie: For Feorag. Just because!
Huw awakens, dazed and confused.

A tale set at the end of the twenty-first century finds the planet's divided hominid population subjected to the forces of a splintery metaconsciousness that inundates networks with plans for cataclysmic technologies, prompting an unwitting jury member to participate in a grueling decision.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible