The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the…

The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and… (edition 2012)

by Cory Doctorow, Charles Stross

Member:jdayrutherford
Title:The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and awkward social situations
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Other authors:Charles Stross
Info:Tor Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Hong Kong Collection
Rating:***

The Rapture of the Nerds by Cory Doctorow

English (20)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (22)
I've read two of Cory Doctorow's other books, and I normally like his writing. But I just couldn't get through this one. He and coauthor Charles Strauss do technobabble in this one the way Tom Clancy used to go overboard on the weaponry techspeak in his books. Dense, dense, dense. And I didn't really care about any of the characters, which might have pulled me through it. Disappointing. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
Brilliantly inventive, totally original and unique, technically breathtaking and never. ever boring. Also very funny. What more could you want in a science fiction book? ( )
  EnidaV | May 14, 2014 |
It was special.

Took me forever to read. Mostly due to changing jobs and schedules, but also just because it took a lot of effort to digest. Was really expecting a Doctorow book, but it felt a lot more like stross.

I'm not really sure I processed most of it, especially really the very end.
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
This crazy, almost phantasmagorical, novel seems to have been conceived as a vehicle for the unconstrained self-indulgence of its highly intelligent authors. Many of the ultra-intriguing conceptual ingredients -- tech singularity, transhumanism, mind uploading, conversion of stellar systems into Matryoshka brains, etc -- are the same as in Stross's _Accelerando_, but the story line is very different.
  fpagan | Jan 7, 2014 |
Tons of neat ideas. Started out well, then felt thrown together some in the middle, but sorted out nicely again in the end. ( )
  skraft001 | Dec 10, 2013 |

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stross, Charlesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wirth, MaryDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cory: For Alice. I renew my vow not to fork any new instances without your permission.

Charlie: For Feorag. Just because!
Huw awakens, dazed and confused.

A tale set at the end of the twenty-first century finds the planet's divided hominid population subjected to the forces of a splintery metaconsciousness that inundates networks with plans for cataclysmic technologies, prompting an unwitting jury member to participate in a grueling decision.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,748,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible