The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the…

The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and… (edition 2012)

by Cory Doctorow, Charles Stross

Member:jdayrutherford
Title:The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and awkward social situations
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Other authors:Charles Stross
Info:Tor Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Hong Kong Collection
Rating:***

The Rapture of the Nerds by Cory Doctorow

English (25)  Italian (1)  French (1)  English (27)
It's been a half-century or so since the advent of the Singularity, and most of humanity now exists as disembodied simulations in a solar system-spanning computational cloud. Huw Jones is one of those still stubbornly clinging to a low-tech meatspace existence, but that existence gets badly disrupted when he's selected for a jury empowered to decide whether the Earth should adopt or reject a weird piece of technology sent back by the uploaded masses, only to discover that he himself has been infected with, well, a weird piece of technology sent back by the uploaded masses.

It's a fun book, at least if you have a particularly geeky sense of fun, which I do. There's lots of wild imaginings, lots of silly jokes and sly references. I will say that by the time I got to the halfway point, I was starting to think, OK, this has been entertaining enough, but it feels like it's all flash and no substance, and another 150 pages of this is probably going to be entirely too much. But then, for the second half of the novel, things shifted a bit, not dramatically, but just enough to make me wonder if the two authors had split the writing just there at the midpoint, and I found myself actually engaged in the story, as well as entertained by all the creativity and ridiculousness. I did find the resolution a bit anticlimactic, or at least a bit too abstractly presented to be satisfying, but overall I enjoyed the novel for the crazy, nerdy romp it was. ( )
  bragan | Nov 23, 2016 |
It was OK...it did feel like it took a while to get going, and then when it got there it felt a little slight as a story. Fun enough while reading, and it wasn't obvious who wrote which bit to me, but I do prefer Stross's solo authored books to this. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I struggled with this book I think my dyslexia made it worse. Its a good book,for me it moved around a lot and I struggled to keep up with it. If your a fanof C D then read it I'm sure you will love it. ( )
  troyka | May 5, 2016 |
Doctorow, Cory and Charles Stross. Rapture of the Nerds. 2012. 349 pp. $24.99. Tor Books. 978-0-76532-910-3. Ages 14 & Up.
In this post-singularity world, much of the world’s population has decided to upload their consciousness to the cloud. Huw Jones, a technophobic resident of Wales who spends his days throwing pots on earth, still choosing to be bound to his “meatsack” body, is asked to participate in Tech Jury Service and embarks on an adventure that leads him across what remains of the world, in the course of which he falls in love, swaps genders, is slaughtered by his mother and uploaded to the cloud, and must serve as an unwilling ambassador to an alien nation who is contemplating the preemptive destruction of earth. The book is heavily-tech ridden but sometimes hard-to-follow. The relationship with love interest Bonnie is particularly underdeveloped. For lovers of Sci-Fi and Doctorow’s previous work, the story will be a hit, but it may be inaccessible to those unfamiliar with higher level technological concepts. Recommended. Ages 14 & Up. ( )
  alovett | Nov 20, 2014 |

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stross, Charlesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wirth, MaryDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cory: For Alice. I renew my vow not to fork any new instances without your permission.

Charlie: For Feorag. Just because!
Huw awakens, dazed and confused.

A tale set at the end of the twenty-first century finds the planet's divided hominid population subjected to the forces of a splintery metaconsciousness that inundates networks with plans for cataclysmic technologies, prompting an unwitting jury member to participate in a grueling decision.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible