Double Deuce by Robert B. Parker

Double Deuce (1992)

by Robert B. Parker

Series: Spenser (19)

For my review please see my blog: Martin's View: Double Deuce. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
Since I have already reviewed about a dozen Robert B. Parker authored books featuring the intrepid Boston private eye, Spenser (with an “s”), I won’t bother describing the dramatis personae who appear in many of the other books as well as in this one.

Here is a book in which we actually get a peek at Hawk’s psyche. Hawk enlists Spenser’s help in getting the gangs out of a housing project, the address of which is 22 Hobart Street [hence the name, “Double Deuce”], after the murder of a young black mother and her 3-month-old baby, presumably by gang bangers. Hawk’s fee for the job is (as is often the case in Spenser novels) zero, but Spenser demands half.

The redoubtable duo’s “plan” for ridding the Double Deuce of gangs is to sit in Hawk’s Jaguar while parked in the middle of the project, thereby acting as bait. Sure enough, the local gang can’t abide their presence, and the gang attempts to intimidate Spenser and Hawk. Good luck! These dumb gang bangers obviously haven’t read any of Parker’s other novels.

When Hawk and Spenser aren’t rousting the gang, they are busy eating at elegant restaurants and puzzling with Hawk’s latest (and most serious) girlfriend about how Hawk got to be the way he is. Answer: a hard childhood.

In any event, before solving the murder and making the Double Deuce (relatively) safe for its residents, Hawk develops a kind of relationship with the leader of the gang, who has heard of Hawk and admires him. In the process, Parker gets to try his hand at writing in black gang argot. I think he does quite a good job, but then I am neither black nor a gang member.

Evaluation: Parker’s books are almost always fun and well constructed. This one is no exception.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | Jun 10, 2016 |
A cracker of a Spenser - he and Hawk in a standoff with a youth gang, he and Susan trialing moving in together. Great stuff. ( )
  AmberMcWilliams | Oct 24, 2015 |
Double Deuce is standard fare for Robert B. Parker – meaning that it will be defended by his fans and disliked by those who find no attraction to his brand of light fiction. Following the murder of a 14 year old girl and her infant daughter, protagonists Spenser and Hawk accept the challenge of cleaning up a gang – plagued housing project in Boston. Hawk takes charge on this one, and we get insights into what makes him tick. Most of the story consists of a stand-off between the gang and the fearless duo, but it’s all tied up neatly at the end with discovery of the perpetrator and the (none – too credible) resolution of the housing project issue. The book really is less a novel than a novella, with ~130 short pages of text (not counting 10 text- free pages and the extra space between each of the 45 chapters). That translates to an hour or so of escapism, a nice if unchallenging way to spend a bit of leisure time. ( )
4 vote danielx | Nov 23, 2011 |
Sort of a period piece, but not an unenjoyable mystery. I found couldn't really connect with any of the characters, even though they were interesting enough to keep me reading. It's one of those undemanding beach-read kind of mysteries, and it gets a lot of points for not trying to make bold statements about public housing or the youth these days. ( )
  upstairsgirl | Apr 21, 2011 |

Parker, Robert B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dukes, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Earle, JohnBack cover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karen Panasevich, who taught me about youth gangs, and about commitment. And for my wife and sons, who have taught me everything else that matters.
(Prologue) Her name was Devona Jefferson.

(Chapter 1) Hawk and I were running along the river in April.

When two people are shot outside of a housing project, Spenser and Hawk battle street gangs and lethal drug dealers in order to track the killer

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,647,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible