Looking for Rachel Wallace by Robert B.…

Looking for Rachel Wallace (original 1980; edition 1987)

by Robert B. Parker

Series: Spenser (6)

When Spencer is hired by a book publisher to protect Rachel Wallace, one of their hottest properties, he finds himself butting heads with her until he's dismissed. When Rachel is kidnapped, though, it's Spencer who they call to save the day.
Member:benfulton
Title:Looking for Rachel Wallace
Authors:Robert B. Parker
Info:Dell (1987), Paperback, 224 pages

Looking for Rachel Wallace by Robert B. Parker (1980)

For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: Looking for Rachel Wallace. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
Rachel Wallace is not the easiest person to get along with. Prickly is a mild description. Due to her stand on Feminism, her outspoken Lesbianism, and the fact that she has written a book naming names of those who practice unequality in the workplace, she needs a bodyguard. The last thing she wants in her life is a macho, smart-aleck bodyguard. Introducing Spencer. He is all that, but he is also more if you have eyes to see.

Spencer is a thoughtful man who hides behind a wise-cracking exterior (my favorite kind of hero). The issues in the book were tough. Feminism, lesbianism, human rights and what makes up the identity of a man. It could all have been trite or preachy, but it never was.

As for the mystery, well, it was more of a noir crime novel than a mystery. Some great literary references in there, and new word or two to me. This is an author I am happy to have found, and I look forward to reading more of his books. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Dec 29, 2016 |
An early Spenser story. I think it is set in the late 70's, and a snow emergency that shuts down Boston is part of the story. I lived in Boston when a blizzard occurred that pretty much shut down the city for a day or two. The story sort of put me in a nostalgic frame of mind. Regarding the book and Spenser, he is a bit over the top for me(super-macho tough and smart and sensitive, my god, he even cries after he kills people.) I have an image in mind that may have no basis in reality of the author being mildly obese and I tend to focus on how Spenser is a pretty serious foody. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Private Detective Spenser grows up some in Looking for Rachel Wallace, the 6th book in the series. The setting is 1978, a time when being openly lesbian or gay was often a political statement, if not personally dangerous. Rachel Wallace is lesbian and an avowed feminist, and she hires Spenser as a bodyguard as she travels to various venues to speak. Spenser is his smart-alecky self, and she quickly fires him. When she then disappears, he fears that she’s been kidnapped, and feels obliged to find her. Spenser is intrepid and dogged in his search (despite a snow storm that paralyzes Boston). The main weakness of the story is that the plans and actions of the kidnappers are just not plausible. However, we get to see an unexpectedly sensitive side of Spenser, and the ending is satisfactory. ( )
2 vote danielx | Mar 22, 2015 |
Along with Early Autumn, one of his very best. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 31, 2015 |

Robert B. Parkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holleman-Mast, M.J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Joan, David and Daniel---my good fortune.
Locke-Ober's Restaurant is on Winter Place, which is an alley off Winter Street just down from the Common.
"S-p-e-n-s-e-r. like the English poet"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,771,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible