Mortal Stakes by Robert B. Parker

Mortal Stakes (1975)

by Robert B. Parker

Series: Spenser (3)

For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: Mortal Stakes. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
I got this one at the public library. I'm not doing them in order, although this one is from the early days.
Much better story than the last one I read. Hard decisions for good people, including our hero who did what he had to and then felt guilty. I could relate to that.

His relationship with Susan is making me uncomfortable, and I mostly try not to think about it. They are good for each other, that is clear, but they are not examples that fit my moral code. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
Not vintage Parker. He was still trying to find his Spenser voice... Things get better in later volumes, specially in terms of the dynamics between Spenser and Susan , which here are only in an embryonic state.
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
another early Spenser novel (book3), with Susan Silverman, and Brenda Loring ? ( )
  jwals | Jan 27, 2015 |
Spenser and the Rex Sox. This one took a few turns I didn't expect but it was great. Lots of Boston and I forget that Sepnser is also a cook. It's like the Swallows and Amazons book, I get real hungry!.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes.

Robert Frost
This, too, is for Joan, David and Daniel
It was summertime, and the living was easy for the Red Sox because Marty Rabb was throwing the ball past the New York Yankees in a style to which he'd become accustomed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440157587, Mass Market Paperback)

Everybody loves a winner, and the Rabbs are major league. Marty is the Red Sox star pitcher, Linda the loving wife. She loves everyone except the blackmailer out to wreck her life.

Is Marty throwing fast balls or throwing games? It doesn't take long for Spenser to link Marty's performance with Linda's past...or to find himself trapped between a crazed racketeer and an enforcer toting an M-16.

America's favorite pastime has suddenly become a very dangerous sport, and one wrong move means strike three, with Spenser out for good!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

Spenser investigates when the wife of the Boston Red Sox star pitcher is being blackmailed.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,895,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible