Mortal Stakes by Robert B. Parker

Mortal Stakes (1975)

by Robert B. Parker

Recently added byprivate library, Spgfldman, dm13, amyem58, Hardboiled, junks

Spenser and the Rex Sox. This one took a few turns I didn't expect but it was great. Lots of Boston and I forget that Sepnser is also a cook. It's like the Swallows and Amazons book, I get real hungry!.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Vintage Parker. "See, being a person is kind of a random and arbitrary business.... And you need to believe in something to keep it from being too random and arbitrary to handle....I don't know if there is even a name for the system I've chosen, but it has to do with honor." Beams fall on Spenser in this one.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
Okay so this is the third book in the series. It's a case involving fixing baseball games. Spenser gets hired by the team manager but ends up sticking up for the ball player and his wife.
The book is very much a 70s flashback. Spenser is Mr. Player in this one with two love interest. Maybe one love interest and one lust interest. Spenser is still as sarcastic as ever.
In this book Spenser crosses the line. It bothers him. It would bother me if it didn't bother him. He is old school and more than a little macho but it does matter to him about doing the right thing. Spenser has to do the wrong thing for a very right cause. This is a nice quick read series.
  luvamystery65 | Jul 19, 2013 |
I don’t know why it took so long to read such a small book, but it did. This is still early days in this series for me and while it is definitely dated, that doesn’t interfere with the storytelling. I do think that Spenser was a “foodie” before the term even was born . That’s the distracting part for me—he makes me so damned hungry when he’s cooking/eating! ( )
  debavp | Jan 26, 2013 |
Spenser is hired by the Boston Red Sox to find out if a player is throwing games. His investigation leads him to discoveries about the player and his wife which prompt him to fight for them, rather than simply turn his findings over to his client. For the first three quarters, this is just regular Spenser fare (good, but not super special), but in the last fourth, Spenser must decide what to do when his own moral code sends him conflicting messages and the resulting character development is stellar. One ten-page section of this book makes it my second all-time favorite Spenser (behind [Early Autumn], which is just aces from start to finish). ( )
2 vote lycomayflower | Jun 19, 2011 |
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes.

Robert Frost
This, too, is for Joan, David and Daniel
It was summertime, and the living was easy for the Red Sox because Marty Rabb was throwing the ball past the New York Yankees in a style to which he'd become accustomed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440157587, Mass Market Paperback)

Everybody loves a winner, and the Rabbs are major league. Marty is the Red Sox star pitcher, Linda the loving wife. She loves everyone except the blackmailer out to wreck her life.

Is Marty throwing fast balls or throwing games? It doesn't take long for Spenser to link Marty's performance with Linda's past...or to find himself trapped between a crazed racketeer and an enforcer toting an M-16.

America's favorite pastime has suddenly become a very dangerous sport, and one wrong move means strike three, with Spenser out for good!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:44 -0400)

Spenser investigates when the wife of the Boston Red Sox star pitcher is being blackmailed.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,499,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible