Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted by Joss…
798None11,457 (4.06)14

I'd already read the Warren Ellis part of this series of X-Men. It comes later on. I read the first book after belatedly getting around to Joss Whedon via the films The Avengers and Cabin in the Woods, and then belatedly getting to Firefly, and then reading the comics, after all of which I was advised to check out Whedon's run on X-Men. I enjoyed this OK. It's much more of a comic, rather than a TV script in comics form, than were two of the three Firefly comics I read. There's a lot of wide-angle panels that suggest it as a movie, and as with The Avengers, Whedon proves himself adept at ensemble pacing. I'll be reading the full set. It plays on the part of the X-Men I particularly enjoy: a more modest vision of Wolverine, a conflicted Cyclops, an active Kitty Pryde, Jean Grey more as a background subject, and a missing Professor Xavier.
  Disquiet | Mar 30, 2013 |
STORYLINE: The X-men struggle for acceptance at the same time a scientist has "found" a cure for mutant powers. The cure is part of an alien pact. An X-men will destroy Breakworld, so if all mutants aren't "cured", they will declare war on Earth. A small episode in a much grander story arc.

ART: Tone overall dark, with lots of primary colours. ( )
  ktoonen | Mar 7, 2013 |
really enjoyed it. love the x-men stories and love joss whedon's take on it all. ( )
  shannonkearns | Jan 8, 2011 |
Atonishing and X-men, a sopa opera in paper. ( )
  AVerneda | Jan 4, 2011 |
Oh, X-Men, how do I love thee? I shall not bore anyone by counting the ways, but suffice it to say I love 'em. However, my introduction to the X-Men did not come in the form of a comic book, but instead from the Saturday morning cartoon show that used to run on FOX and, later, the big budget movies. I wasn't a comic book reader as a kid (mainly due to lack of access--there were no bookstores in my small rural town) and discovering that the X-Men had been around forever did not exactly encourage me to begin reading. I assumed that I would have to start at the beginning and the idea of doing so was overwhelming.

What finally inspired me to begin reading this series is that it's written by Joss Whedon (oh, Firefly, how do I love thee?). Whedon plus the X-Men is an irresistable combination. There's definitely some trademark Whedon going on here, most notably in the snappy dialogue and the clever scenes (my favorite is when Ord breaks into the school, only to find the X-Men aren't there--just the students, thus leading to an amusing "would you like to leave a message" dialogue). However, overall, it didn't grab me. I think this is mainly because the X-Men involved (Cyclops, Kitty Pryde, Beast, Emma Frost, and, of course, the ubiquitous Wolverine) just aren't among my favorites. All in all, though, it was a pretty good book and I'll definitely read the others in the series. ( )
1 vote snat | Oct 28, 2009 |

Joss Whedonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassaday, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Mommy is screaming."
Volume 1 softcover (Gifted) and the hardcover omnibus of 1-2 are separate works.

Dream-team creators Joss Whedon (TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and John Cassaday (Planetary, Captain America) present the explosive flagship X-Men series - marking a return to classic greatness and the beginning of a brand-new era for the X-Men! Cyclops and Emma Frost re-form the X-Men with the express purpose of "astonishing" the world. But when breaking news regarding the mutant gene unexpectedly hits the airwaves, will it derail their new plans before they even get started?

Collecting:

Astonishing X-Men #1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:13 -0400)

Dream-team creators Joss Whedon (TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and John Cassaday (Planetary, Captain America) present the explosive, all-new flagship X-Men series, marking a return to classic greatness and the beginning of a brand-new era for the X-Men! Cyclops and Emma Frost re-form the X-Men with the express purpose of "astonishing" the world. But when breaking news regarding the mutant gene unexpectedly hits the airwaves, will it derail their new plans before they even get started? As demand for the "mutant cure" reaches near-riot levels, the X-Men go head-to-head with the enigmatic Ord, with an unexpected ally, and some unexpected adversaries, tipping the scales!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible