The Godwulf Manuscript by Robert B. Parker

The Godwulf Manuscript (1973)

by Robert B. Parker

Series: Spenser (1)

Recently added byrena75, Shadow_Sandy, joeldinda, Lauconn

Don't let the title fool you. This has very little to do with the Godwulf manuscript, or any other ancient tomes. It is all about life in the 1970s in a college town. Sex, drugs, murder and the various subversive groups on a college campus in those days. A real flashback in time.

I like Spencer's sarcastic wit, and this is a fun romp through time. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 2, 2018 |
Great Book. My favorite Robert Parker book.
  resuttor76 | Jun 22, 2017 |
For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: the Godwulf Manuscript ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
This was the first book of the Spenser series. If I had read it first, I might never have read any of the others.
We are introduced to Spenser, Joe Broz and Lt. Quirk of Homicide. Not yet appearing are Hawk and Susan, and I felt their absence.
As usual, we get lots of descriptions of what people (including Spencer himself) are wearing and how the places he visits are decorated. The slightly ironic humor is there.
But the language sometimes distracted me from the story, and the sex was kind of raunchy. Not that the descriptions were overly explicit, just that I did not need to read about "mother and
daughter on the same day."

Anyway, I bought it at Half Price books and plan to give it away. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
This book is so much tosh, Librarything didn't even want to let me add to my library! An unusual case of reverse-first book syndrome - most series debuts make me want to buy the rest of the set in one go, but this one bored me silly. I'll play fair, though, and try a later title from the series.

I think my main problem was the 1970s setting - the dialogue (I'd check the word count on 'sonova bitch' if I could be bothered), the sleaze and dear lord, the fashion (which Parker describes in detail, for some reason)! Please stop! Also, Spenser - with an s - tries way too hard. His tough guy narration is pathetic, paling in comparison with Marlowe or even my pet detetctive Archie Goodwin. He boffs a mother and daughter, gets beaten and shot, drinks and drives (yeah, I know, me and my modern sensibilities), and is just generally skeevy. Plus - not as funny as Parker obviously thinks he is. My favourite line? 'I am a horse's ass'. Because it's true.

The 'mystery' is nonsensical too. Don't expect Inspector Morse at Oxford, despite the title - the manuscript is just a plot device. What we actually get is drugs and gangsters, hey ho. Nice try, though, Mr Parker. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Apr 12, 2016 |
This, like everything else, is for Joan, David, and Daniel.
The office of the university president looked like the front parlor of a successful Victorian whorehouse.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440129613, Mass Market Paperback)

Spenser earned his degree in the school of hard knocks, so he is ready when a Boston university hires him to recover a rare, stolen manuscript. He is hardly surpised that his only clue is a radical student with four bullets in his chest.

The cops are ready to throw the book at the pretty blond coed whose prints are all over the murder weapon but Spenser knows there are no easy answers. He tackles some very heavy homework and knows that if he doesn't finish his assignment soon, he could end up marked "D" -- for dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:36 -0400)

A private detective's investigation into the theft of a rare manuscript from a university library brings him face to face with clues to a young man's murder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,574,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible