Battle Angel Alita, Volume 1: Rusty Angel by…

Battle Angel Alita, Volume 1: Rusty Angel

by Yukito Kishiro

Series: Battle Angel Alita / Gunnm (1)

Read this in Japanese ( ' Gun Dream ' ) ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
I'm sure by my avatar you can see how much I love this series. This volume was my first introduction to manga, eight or nine years ago. Every time I read this series, I'm struck by Kishiro's amazing attention to detail--all the side references, the expressions, the world that he creates... ( )
  idyllwild | Jun 25, 2010 |
A cybernetician in a dystopian future finds a 300 year old cyborg head on the massive rubbish pile beneath the floating city of the elites. The brain is still alive and he reactivates the girl, cobbles together a new body for her and names her Alita (Gally in the Japanese) after a dead pet.

And Gally begins her journey to recover her memory and her identity. This plays out as the drama of adolescence: finding herself, first love, rebellion against parents: but hidden in her past and her memory are powerful battle techniques. What was she?

The story plays out over nine volumes, covers many additional plots including a mad scientist, rollerball-like sports, hyperviolent battes -- just about every manga trope you could ask for -- and finally, the shocking secret of the elites' city, and a mystical revelation. ( )
  nillacat | Oct 13, 2007 |
This seems to be a bit more along the lines of 2000AD or even Heavy Metal, as far as the style of story goes.

A scientist and mad mutant/robot bounty hunter finds a cyborg head, and decides to repair it by way of adding a new body a bit at a time.

Along the way they run into the scariest sewer and poo dwelling brain sucking mutant robot madman of them all, the one other hunters are too scared to face.

Add in a cute brave dog and you are set.

http://graphicsf.blogspot.com/2007/07/battle-angel-alita-1-rusty-angel.html ( )
2 vote bluetyson | Jul 2, 2007 |
I've become a very different creature. It's over ten years now since I discovered this brutal, wonderful creation in a Tower Records store in Berkeley, California. I was an undergraduate then, formless and pink and 1500 miles from my nuclear family. Now I'm a scientist and a husband. Everything's evolved, like Pachelbel's Canon; some themes have come to the fore, some have faded away. It would be disingenuous to say that this manga was the source of all, but it has been a seed crystal for me. It will be for you, too.

This, then, is the story of a female burned of everything: her name, her identity, her history, left only as a cybernetic head in a dystopian scrapyard. Her savior, a doctor named "Ido", gives her a name--"Alita"--a body and a home. But her identity comes to her through the "Panzer Kunst", a martial art she retains in her mind. Is it a clue? Merely a suggestion? Or Pandora's Box? Over the course of the saga, Alita must decide, and decide again, what Panzer Kunst means to her sense of self and vice versa.

Kishiro-sensei is a provocative artist and a strong--if occasionally didactic--storyteller. But it is the characters, again and again, that carry Battle Angel Alita. We learn about ourselves through our identification with them. If you grow as I have, then Kishiro--and with him, Alita--have succeded. Your winds rest on your shoulders now. Read and learn to fly. ( )
1 vote xenacanthus | Nov 14, 2006 |

Yukito Kishiroprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, SterlingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burke, FredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorn, MattTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Der Schrottplatz... Heimat aller menschlichen und künstlichen Überreste von Zalem, der Himmelsstadt.

Daisuke Ido, a cybernetic doctor, rebuilds a cyborg he found in a junk heap, but the machine's deadly fighting instincts cause Daisuke some serious problems.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,259,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible