Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah

Magic Hour

by Kristin Hannah

English (29)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
After a patient of hers goes on a killing spree, psychologist Julia Cates is dragged through the mud by the media. When her sister, the chief of police in a small Washington town, finds an abandoned child, she calls in her sister to help. The child is filthy and wild. Once Julia begins working with her, she realizes that Alice, as she calls the girl, is a feral child, one she speculates was raised in the woods without human companionship.

This was a very intriguing book. I find the idea of feral children interesting. I thought that the author treated the subject with compassion and realism. I am falling in love with this author and can't wait to read more of her books. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
A very compelling story that had me captivated from start to finish even though the romances played secondary roles. The heroine was fantastic and had me near tears at the end. Psychiatrist Julia's career is ruined and she returns to her hometown to help an extraordinary little girl with unimaginable fear.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
I love Kristin Hannah, and this book was no exception. I was a little skeptical at first, reading the description of the book, but I'm glad I gave it a try. ( )
  carebear10712 | Jan 8, 2015 |
Another good effort by Hannah but I was disappointed that we didn't delve deeper into the reasons behind the estrangement of Julia and Ellie. There were hints of their history but it was never fully developed. The rest of the story was very well done and believable, however. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
It will all be over soon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345467531, Mass Market Paperback)

Deep in the Pacific Northwest lies the Olympic National Forest– nearly one million acres of impenetrable darkness and impossible beauty. Even in this modern age, much of it remains undiscovered and uncharted. From the heart of this old forest, a six-year-old girl appears. Speechless and alone, she can give no clue as to her identity, no hint of her past. . . .

Until recently, Dr. Julia Cates was one of the preeminent child psychiatrists in the country, but a scandal shattered her confidence, ruined her career, and made her a media target. When she gets a desperate call from her estranged sister, Ellie, a police chief in their small western Washington hometown, she jumps at the chance to escape.

In Rain Valley, nothing much ever happens–until a girl emerges from the deep woods and walks into town. She is a victim unlike any Julia has ever seen: a child locked in a world of unimaginable fear and isolation.

When word spreads of the “wild child” and the infamous doctor who is treating her, the media descend on Julia and once again her competence is challenged. State and federal authorities want to lock the girl away in an institution until an identification can be made.

But to Julia, who has come to doubt her own ability, nothing is more important than saving the girl she now calls Alice. To heal this child, Julia will have to understand that she cannot work alone and must look to others–the people in the town she left long ago, the sister she barely knows, and Dr. Max Cerrasin, a handsome, private man with secrets of his own.
Then a shocking revelation forces Julia to risk everything to discover the truth about Alice. The ordeal that follows will test the limits of Julia’s faith, forgiveness, and love, as she struggles to ascertain where Alice ultimately belongs.

In her most ambitious novel to date, Kristin Hannah delivers an incandescent story about the resilience of the human spirit, the triumph of hope, and the mysterious places in the heart where love lies waiting.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:55 -0400)

Dr. Julia Cates child psychiatrists whose career was ruined and confidence shattered is called back to her hometown by her sister Ellie, a police chief, when a six year old girl emerges from the heart of the Olympic National Forest. The child is locked in a world of unimaginable fear and isolation. The media descend on Julia and once again her competence is challenged, but nothing is more important to her than saving the child.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,857,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible