Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah

Magic Hour (2006)

by Kristin Hannah

English (34)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
I had no expectations when I picked up this book. I liked the cover and the story sounded interesting. It was a wonderful book! Two sisters had led very different lives and remembered their childhood in different ways. Julia left their small town to pursue her studies and became a well-respected child psychiatrist. Ellie stayed in their small town and became the town sheriff. An unusual incident brought Julia back to Rain Valley where both sisters work together to help a 6 year old girl who seems to have appeared out of nowhere. There are the requisite childhood friends, hidden pasts (and not so hidden ones), and love interests, but that is not what makes the story. It is the 6 year old girl - Alice - I couldn't help but be pulled in to her life and her story. I will definitely read more books by Kristin Hannah! ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
Dr. Julia Cates is a renowned child psychiatrist in L.A. who's been laid low by a scandal: one of her patients went on a shooting spree at her church and killed three teenagers. Julia's sister Ellie is police chief of fictional Rain Valley, WA, on the Olympic Peninsula where a wild girl has been discovered in the company of a wolf cub. The town, including Ellie and handsome Dr. Max Cerrasin aren't sure what to do with the girl who apparently cannot speak or communicate. Although Ellie and Julia have been estranged, Ellie knows that Julia may be able to help the girl. Julia agrees to work with the girl, whom she soon comes to love and name Alice. As Alice makes progress, Julia begins adoption proceedings but the girl's father appears, a man infamous for having murdered his wife and daughter...or so it appears.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Love this. ( )
  ThilW | Jan 26, 2016 |
Love this. ( )
  ThilW | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is the 3 book I've read by Kristin Hannah, and I actually won a signed copy of the book through a facebook giveaway she had. All 3 books I have read of hers are in my all time favorite list. A young child suddenly appears in a small town in the Pacific Northwest. She seems unsocialized and unable to speak. The story follows the therapist that begins working with her and those trying to find out who she is and what has happened to her and what the future holds for all involved. Beautifully written, great characters, wonderful plot and somewhat familiar setting in that it takes place in a town near Forks and La Push from the Twilight series. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real." "Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit. "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was truthful.  --The Velveteen Rabbit Margery Williams
This one is for my son, Tucker. It seems like only a few years ago I could hold you in my arms. Now we're touring colleges and talking about your future. I am so proud of the boy you were and the man you are becoming. Soon you will be leaving your dad and me to find your own way in the world. Know that whatever you do, wherever you go, we will always love you.
It will all be over soon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345467531, Mass Market Paperback)

Deep in the Pacific Northwest lies the Olympic National Forest– nearly one million acres of impenetrable darkness and impossible beauty. Even in this modern age, much of it remains undiscovered and uncharted. From the heart of this old forest, a six-year-old girl appears. Speechless and alone, she can give no clue as to her identity, no hint of her past. . . .

Until recently, Dr. Julia Cates was one of the preeminent child psychiatrists in the country, but a scandal shattered her confidence, ruined her career, and made her a media target. When she gets a desperate call from her estranged sister, Ellie, a police chief in their small western Washington hometown, she jumps at the chance to escape.

In Rain Valley, nothing much ever happens–until a girl emerges from the deep woods and walks into town. She is a victim unlike any Julia has ever seen: a child locked in a world of unimaginable fear and isolation.

When word spreads of the “wild child” and the infamous doctor who is treating her, the media descend on Julia and once again her competence is challenged. State and federal authorities want to lock the girl away in an institution until an identification can be made.

But to Julia, who has come to doubt her own ability, nothing is more important than saving the girl she now calls Alice. To heal this child, Julia will have to understand that she cannot work alone and must look to others–the people in the town she left long ago, the sister she barely knows, and Dr. Max Cerrasin, a handsome, private man with secrets of his own.
Then a shocking revelation forces Julia to risk everything to discover the truth about Alice. The ordeal that follows will test the limits of Julia’s faith, forgiveness, and love, as she struggles to ascertain where Alice ultimately belongs.

In her most ambitious novel to date, Kristin Hannah delivers an incandescent story about the resilience of the human spirit, the triumph of hope, and the mysterious places in the heart where love lies waiting.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:12 -0400)

Dr. Julia Cates child psychiatrists whose career was ruined and confidence shattered is called back to her hometown by her sister Ellie, a police chief, when a six year old girl emerges from the heart of the Olympic National Forest. The child is locked in a world of unimaginable fear and isolation. The media descend on Julia and once again her competence is challenged, but nothing is more important to her than saving the child.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible