Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah

Magic Hour (2006)

by Kristin Hannah

English (44)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
This was an earlier Kristin Hannah book that was on my bookshelf for awhile. I enjoyed the premise, but the writing was not up to what she has written recently. There were a lot of cliches about small towns, sisters not getting along growing up, the homecoming queen, etc. that were a bit oversimplified. The story about the young girl that shows up in small town Rain Valley, dubbed the wolf girl is the real story. She is about 5 or 6 years old, doesn't talk, has a pet wolf and no one is able to find out who she is. Town sheriff, Ellie, contacts her sister, fallen child psychiatrist Julia, to come home and help with the girl. The story is about "Alice" coming out of her shell and developing a relationship with Julia and what will happen if her real parents ever show up. There are also some romantic story lines for both Ellie and Julia as well as healing. A nice story. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Another great book by Kristin Hannah. Plus 5 stars ( )
  tamarack804 | Jul 21, 2018 |
I have read a lot of Kristin Hannah's books, loved them all, and this one definitely did not disappoint.

This book was well written, and the flow of the story was very satisfying. It's a wonderful, magical story about the love between several pairs/groups: mother and child, father and child, two sisters, and some long-time friends. There was just enough mystery to keep me intrigued and engrossed in the story, and Julia's relationships were well-crafted and beautifully developed.

I did get into the story a little slower than most of her books, I think because the character development was a bit more complicated than others - but I'm OK with that. Once I got into it, it was hard to stop! It's definitely a great romantic beach read and a wonderful escape from reality that I enjoyed very much.
  Bookapotamus | Jun 27, 2018 |
I enjoyed the story line but it moved a little slow for my taste. ( )
  Derby75 | May 8, 2018 |
This was one of her more heartfelt and deep stories. Alice broke my heart and put it back together again. ( )
  Cfo6 | Mar 19, 2018 |
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real." "Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit. "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was truthful.  --The Velveteen Rabbit Margery Williams
This one is for my son, Tucker. It seems like only a few years ago I could hold you in my arms. Now we're touring colleges and talking about your future. I am so proud of the boy you were and the man you are becoming. Soon you will be leaving your dad and me to find your own way in the world. Know that whatever you do, wherever you go, we will always love you.
It will all be over soon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345467531, Mass Market Paperback)

Deep in the Pacific Northwest lies the Olympic National Forest– nearly one million acres of impenetrable darkness and impossible beauty. Even in this modern age, much of it remains undiscovered and uncharted. From the heart of this old forest, a six-year-old girl appears. Speechless and alone, she can give no clue as to her identity, no hint of her past. . . .

Until recently, Dr. Julia Cates was one of the preeminent child psychiatrists in the country, but a scandal shattered her confidence, ruined her career, and made her a media target. When she gets a desperate call from her estranged sister, Ellie, a police chief in their small western Washington hometown, she jumps at the chance to escape.

In Rain Valley, nothing much ever happens–until a girl emerges from the deep woods and walks into town. She is a victim unlike any Julia has ever seen: a child locked in a world of unimaginable fear and isolation.

When word spreads of the “wild child” and the infamous doctor who is treating her, the media descend on Julia and once again her competence is challenged. State and federal authorities want to lock the girl away in an institution until an identification can be made.

But to Julia, who has come to doubt her own ability, nothing is more important than saving the girl she now calls Alice. To heal this child, Julia will have to understand that she cannot work alone and must look to others–the people in the town she left long ago, the sister she barely knows, and Dr. Max Cerrasin, a handsome, private man with secrets of his own.
Then a shocking revelation forces Julia to risk everything to discover the truth about Alice. The ordeal that follows will test the limits of Julia’s faith, forgiveness, and love, as she struggles to ascertain where Alice ultimately belongs.

In her most ambitious novel to date, Kristin Hannah delivers an incandescent story about the resilience of the human spirit, the triumph of hope, and the mysterious places in the heart where love lies waiting.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:12 -0400)

Reluctantly giving up her California practice working with troubled children, Julia Cates is forced to draw on all her skills to deal with a young mute girl found abandoned and terrified in her Pacific Northwest hometown.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,418,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible