Bleak House by Charles Dickens

Bleak House (original 1853; edition 2009)

by Charles Dickens

9,632188299 (4.2)5 / 1279
Member:jujuvail
Title:Bleak House
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Digireads.com (2009), Paperback, 560 pages

Bleak House by Charles Dickens (1853)

Satire (151)

English (181)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All (188)
The only way I can comprehend the length of this book is that it was serialized...?

Not only is the plot way overdrawn, but it is predictable and pointless, unless you care about Chancery.

The characters are either way too precious and good or utterly stupidly unbearable.

It's hard to believe that the same man wrote A TALE OF TWO CITIES. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jul 3, 2017 |
Wow. Does this book EVER end? It's occasionally humorous, but none of it really reached out to me or made me invested in the characters or events. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 20, 2017 |
After running out of renewals (twice!) before I opened the book, I finally just went out and purchased Charles Dickens' "Bleak House." (I check out too many long books from the library at once.) I did enjoy reading "Bleak House" but I'm pretty sure I'll never read it again -- it definitely wasn't my favorite novel by Dickens.

The novel, published serially, tells the story of a variety of characters mainly associated with the Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce lawsuit -- a battle over a succession of wills that has dragged on so long, the original parties are deceased. As the lawsuit winds it way slowly through court, those who might benefit from its conclusion continue on with their lives in London.

I mostly liked the story, even though the characters weren't the strongest. Dickens' way of neatly wrapping things up at the end of the story always irks me and this book was no exception. There are a few twists in the book that were unexpected, which pushed this up to a 3.5 rating for me, rather than a 3. ( )
  amerynth | Mar 11, 2017 |
Classic
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Weirdly, this was my first Dickens, except Christmas Carol, Loved it then, still love it best. I saw a funny reference the other day to someone who thought Jarndyce v. Jardyce was a real case, and how smug that made me. No story that includes spontaneous human combustion can be to dull, though, can it?

2001/01/05 ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Bleak House represents the author at a perfectly poised late-middle moment in his extraordinary art.

You have to embrace Bleak House for what it is – a rambling, confusing, verbose, over-populated, vastly improbable story which substitutes caricatures for people and is full of puns. In other words, an 800-page Dickens novel.
added by tim.taylor | editThe Millions, Janet Potter (Jan 31, 2011)

Charles Dickensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Page, NormanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sitwell, Sir OsbertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solomon, AbrahamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zabel, MortonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated, as a remembrance of our friendly union, to my companions in the guild of literature and art

Dedication of the 1853 edition
London. Michaelmas term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln's Inn Hall.
This world of ours has its limits too (as Your Highness shall find when you have made the tour of it, and are come to the brink of the void beyond).
His family is as old as the hills, and infinitely more respectable. He has a general opinion that the world might get on without hills, but would be done up without Dedlocks. He would on the whole admit Nature to be a good idea (a little low, perhaps, when not enclosed with a park-fence), but an idea dependent for its execution on your great county families.
Indeed, he married her for love. A whisper still goes about, that she had not even family; howbeit, Sir Leicester had so much family that perhaps he had enough, and could dispense with any more.
He is of what is called the old school - a phrase generally meaning any school that seems never to have been young.
He must confess to two of the oldest infirmities in the world: one was, that he had no idea of time; the other, that he had no idea of money.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439726, Paperback)

Bleak House is a satirical look at the Byzantine legal system in London as it consumes the minds and talents of the greedy and nearly destroys the lives of innocents--a contemporary tale indeed. Dickens's tale takes us from the foggy dank streets of London and the maze of the Inns of Court to the peaceful countryside of England. Likewise, the characters run from murderous villains to virtuous girls, from a devoted lover to a "fallen woman," all of whom are affected by a legal suit in which there will, of course, be no winner. The first-person narrative related by the orphan Esther is particularly sweet. The articulate reading by the acclaimed British actor Paul Scofield, whose distinctive broad English accent lends just the right degree of sonority and humor to the text, brings out the color in this classic social commentary disguised as a Victorian drama. However, to abridge Dickens is, well, a Dickensian task, the results of which make for a story in which the author's convoluted plot lines and twists of fate play out in what seems to be a fast-forward format. Listeners must pay close attention in order to keep up with the multiple narratives and cast of curious characters, including the memorable Inspector Bucket and Mr. Guppy. Fortunately, the publisher provides a partial list of characters on the inside jacket. (Running time: 3 hours; 2 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:42 -0400)

Bleak House, Dickens's most daring experiment in the narration of a complex plot, challenges the reader to make connections - between the fashionable and the outcast, the beautiful and the ugly, the powerful and the victims. Nowhere in Dickens's later novels is his attack on an uncaring society more imaginatively embodied, but nowhere either is the mixture of comedy and angry satire more deftly managed. Bleak House defies a single description. It is a mystery story, in which Esther Summerson discovers the truth about her birth and her unknown mother's tragic life. It is a murder story, which comes to a climax in a thrilling chase, led by one of the earliest detectives in English fiction, Inspector Bucket. And it is a fable about redemption, in which a bleak house is transformed by the resilience of human love.… (more)

Current discussions

Group Read: Bleak House by Charles Dickens in 75 Books Challenge for 2017

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439726, 0141199091

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102642, 1400109086

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,065,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible