Bleak House by Charles Dickens

Bleak House (original 1853; edition 2010)

by Charles Dickens

9,180184325 (4.21)4 / 1163
Member:LiterateHousewife
Title:Bleak House
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Vlg. (2010), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Audio Book
Tags:#bleakalong, to post here

Bleak House by Charles Dickens (1853)

English (176)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (183)
Reading this in sections the way it was released...first four chapters, then take a break as if I were reading it in serial form as it was originally published.
  BooksForDinner | Jul 18, 2016 |
I've been a fan of Dickens since eight-year-old me discovered that "Marley was... as dead as a doornail;" in fact, I fully blame Dickens for several of my Victorian era lit classics binges throughout the years. A love, burgeoning or fully grown, for Dickensian wit and social satire is oft the struck chord that creates a distinct urge to reach out for more (and more). The heady simpatico taste of a Dickens' tome certainly has a lot to do with a logomania camaraderie. Oh, the words. The words! However, Word Lovers United™* aside, what I truly love about the Dickens' works I've experienced so far is that I'm constantly getting something new out of them. Like the Hans Brinker from folklore, I tend to get the sense that I'm standing at the side of a dam with my finger on the flow and I'll end up with whatever I'll allow through. Or, for a modern take, I'll go with Shrek's take on onions: they have layers!

That's the merit factor for me; the depth of the story, of Dickens' empathy and opinions, of the references that flesh out the world of both author and characters. All of which culminate in a work that makes you truly feel the weight of it as an experience had - as if each word simply bulges with it. It's this that keeps such a work relevant in my opinion.

So, in this reading of Bleak House since I hope there will be several more to come, I found myself most captivated by Jo's plight of moving on and the rippling riptide of Chancery. Jo was my emotional Twist twist. "Please sir..." where should I move, sir. Dickens knowing how to haunt both the soles and souls of even the modern human:

"'My instructions are that you are to move on. I've told you so five hundred times!'
'But where?' cries the boy.
'My instructions don't go to that...move on!'
Do you hear, Jo?... The one grand recipe remains for you- the profound philosophical prescription- the be all & end all of your strange existence upon earth. Move on! You are by no means to move off, Jo, for the great lights can't at all agree about that. Move on!"

He's also quite the master of encapsulation and metaphor. From character to character we have these revolving spheres of motion, action, inaction, emotion that give us insight to the whole. It's this interconnected style that I find absolutely fascinating (and that keeps my list of characters pretty well thumbed through).

Not wanting to emulate Dickens in a review of, well, Dickens, I'll keep it short and sweet. This is an easy new favorite. The wit and wisdom being balanced with a plot that I found pretty interesting as we encounter characters arcs diverging and a bit of a caper-esque (timing, timing, timing) climax that, though not the crux of the work, certainly adds intrigue. While not all characters made a significant impression on me this time around - that's kind of the beauty of want I've rambled about so much here. On another read through I'm sure I'll find even more to sink into.

*A fascinating group, really. We never get anywhere though; everyone talks too much. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
Had it's good moments but overall it suffers from the same problem as all Dickens, it's too long. ( )
  askajnaiman | Jun 14, 2016 |
Bleak House – Charles Dickens
Audio version performed by Simon Vance
4 stars

Bleak House is much lauded as Dickens’ most innovative novel. There are at least 57 characters moving about the stage set of the Chancery lawsuit of Jarndyce and Jarndyce. The elaborate plot design is even more extremely convoluted than in Dickens’ other novels. The story is told partly by an omniscient narrator and partly by Esther Summerson, the novel’s heroine. The novel is an overt attack on the British judiciary system, but has numerous underlying themes. As usual, Dickens lampoons the aristocracy, but he shows surprising empathy for the final tragedy of Sir Leicester Deadlock. Dickens showcases the appalling conditions of the poor and he seems to be making a case for the rising working class. There is an embedded murder mystery that introduces what may be the first fictional detective, Mr. Bucket. One particularly annoying character, Harold Skimpole, is said to be based on Dickens’ friend Leigh Hunt. Another, more or less, evil character dies of spontaneous combustion! The book is dense with subplots and long, long descriptions.

I’m a huge Dickens fan, but even though this was my second time through this novel, it was hard for me to follow. I found it difficult to believe in Esther Summerson. The perfect Victorian female, she’s just too good to be true. I found her saintliness distracting during the parts of the book that were told in her voice. There are any number of humorous characters sprinkled through the complex plot: Caddy Jellyby and Prince Turveydrop, (19th century dance instructors), Mrs. Jellyby and Mrs. Pardiggle (the competing do-gooders), Miss Flite and Mr. William Guppy (the crazy spinster and the crazed law clerk). However, in the end, the title states the overall atmosphere of this book. It’s a masterpiece, but it is bleak.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I’ve been meaning to read Bleak House ever since I watched the Masterpiece Theatre miniseries last summer. I finally got to the book in May, and it took me about a month to read, but it was excellent. I’ve always loved Dickens –I grew up reading Oliver Twist over and over again — but Bleak House seemed daunting both because of its length and its title. Who wants to read about a house called “bleak”?

It turned out to be a wonderful book. It was very long, and very detailed, but that is what makes Dickens such a masterful storyteller. His characters are all so beautifully developed, even if they have certain qualities that are sometimes outrageously exaggerated. (The mother who devotes herself entirely to philanthropic work while ignoring her own children, the grown man who completely lacks all common sense and sense of duty as a citizen or father, etc. Typical Dickensian humor.) The main character, Esther, is almost heartbreakingly kind and self-sacrificing. Each character — and there are many — is so unique.

As you might imagine, a lot of the more subtle nuances of Dickens’s style went over my head when I was a young reader — particularly his humor. I found myself laughing out loud at Bleak House more than once. His plays on words, the ridiculous things his characters say, and the satirical representation of a convoluted legal system were all very amusing.

The story itself, of course, is masterful in the way it slowly unfolds. It is part tragedy, part comedy, part murder mystery, part courtroom drama all in one. Bleak-House-charles-dickens-743354_1600_1200-425x318

At times I found myself wishing it was two hundred pages or so shorter, but most of the time I just enjoyed the leisurely ride through London and the English countryside and the beautiful language that delivered the picture to us. If I ever read this again, I’m going to map the story out. I’d love to see the character arcs and plot points illustrated. And it would help me keep track of the characters. (So many!)

If you’re not up for reading it, I highly recommend the television series. It’s exciting and suspenseful and dark! And it has the beautiful Gillian Anderson as Lady Dedlock. ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
Bleak House represents the author at a perfectly poised late-middle moment in his extraordinary art.

You have to embrace Bleak House for what it is – a rambling, confusing, verbose, over-populated, vastly improbable story which substitutes caricatures for people and is full of puns. In other words, an 800-page Dickens novel.
added by tim.taylor | editThe Millions, Janet Potter (Jan 31, 2011)

Charles Dickensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Page, NormanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sitwell, Sir OsbertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solomon, AbrahamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zabel, MortonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated, as a remembrance of our friendly union, to my companions in the guild of literature and art

Dedication of the 1853 edition
London. Michaelmas term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln's Inn Hall.
This world of ours has its limits too (as Your Highness shall find when you have made the tour of it, and are come to the brink of the void beyond).
His family is as old as the hills, and infinitely more respectable. He has a general opinion that the world might get on without hills, but would be done up without Dedlocks. He would on the whole admit Nature to be a good idea (a little low, perhaps, when not enclosed with a park-fence), but an idea dependent for its execution on your great county families.
Indeed, he married her for love. A whisper still goes about, that she had not even family; howbeit, Sir Leicester had so much family that perhaps he had enough, and could dispense with any more.
He is of what is called the old school - a phrase generally meaning any school that seems never to have been young.
He must confess to two of the oldest infirmities in the world: one was, that he had no idea of time; the other, that he had no idea of money.

Widely regarded as Dickens’s masterpiece, Bleak House centers on the generations-long lawsuit Jarndyce and Jarndyce, through which “whole families have inherited legendary hatreds.” Focusing on Esther Summerson, a ward of John Jarndyce, the novel traces Esther’s romantic coming-of-age and, in classic Dickensian style, the gradual revelation of long-buried secrets, all set against the foggy backdrop of the Court of Chancery. Mixing romance, mystery, comedy, and satire, Bleak House limns the suffering caused by the intricate inefficiency of the law.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439726, Paperback)

Bleak House is a satirical look at the Byzantine legal system in London as it consumes the minds and talents of the greedy and nearly destroys the lives of innocents--a contemporary tale indeed. Dickens's tale takes us from the foggy dank streets of London and the maze of the Inns of Court to the peaceful countryside of England. Likewise, the characters run from murderous villains to virtuous girls, from a devoted lover to a "fallen woman," all of whom are affected by a legal suit in which there will, of course, be no winner. The first-person narrative related by the orphan Esther is particularly sweet. The articulate reading by the acclaimed British actor Paul Scofield, whose distinctive broad English accent lends just the right degree of sonority and humor to the text, brings out the color in this classic social commentary disguised as a Victorian drama. However, to abridge Dickens is, well, a Dickensian task, the results of which make for a story in which the author's convoluted plot lines and twists of fate play out in what seems to be a fast-forward format. Listeners must pay close attention in order to keep up with the multiple narratives and cast of curious characters, including the memorable Inspector Bucket and Mr. Guppy. Fortunately, the publisher provides a partial list of characters on the inside jacket. (Running time: 3 hours; 2 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:42 -0400)

Bleak House, Dickens's most daring experiment in the narration of a complex plot, challenges the reader to make connections - between the fashionable and the outcast, the beautiful and the ugly, the powerful and the victims. Nowhere in Dickens's later novels is his attack on an uncaring society more imaginatively embodied, but nowhere either is the mixture of comedy and angry satire more deftly managed. Bleak House defies a single description. It is a mystery story, in which Esther Summerson discovers the truth about her birth and her unknown mother's tragic life. It is a murder story, which comes to a climax in a thrilling chase, led by one of the earliest detectives in English fiction, Inspector Bucket. And it is a fable about redemption, in which a bleak house is transformed by the resilience of human love.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439726, 0141199091

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102642, 1400109086

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,551,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible