507 Mechanical Movements by Henry T. Brown

507 Mechanical Movements (1868)

by Henry T. Brown

Recently added byprivate library, cec4242, tyggerjai, WilliamHopkins, siandra11, InnoviaTech, noonaut, csteiner, Ressy

To add to the understanding of this book and my special love of it, I submit this, which is not meant to be academic; I am not an engineer, although my father was, my copy was published in 1873 although originally published in 1868. It was likely purchased new by my great grandfather in 1875. Complex mechanical devices we consider common today were not in the 1800s, understanding different mechanical movements helped you create the complex movements needed to create new machinery necessary for the mechanical age of the 1800s. By 1875 my grandfather had a number of patents for mechanical devices, the concept of which are still incorporated and in use today. I imagine this book was of use, interest and mind expanding to him. I treasure it. ( )
  Newmans2001 | Jan 5, 2012 |
Like many Dover books, this is a reprint of a much older book. Unfortunately the older book is meant for trained mechanics in the 19th century. The drawings are great, but if you want to actually know what all these gears, etc. do and you don't already have extensive knowledge in that area, this book isn't going to help you. ( )
  aulsmith | Jan 27, 2008 |
The want of a comprehensive collection of illustrations and descriptions of Mechanical Movements has long been seriously felt by artisans, inventors, and students of the mechanic arts.

Over five hundred mechanisms and devices from the first century of the Industrial Revolution. Starting from simple pulleys and levers, this classic book works its way through basic engineering principles to Otis’s elevator safety stop, Colt’s revolver action, and Ferguson’s mechanical paradox (Why is it a paradox? Buy the book and find out!) Each mechanism is illustrated with a clear diagram, and a description of its use and operation. Fascinating and addictive reading for anyone with an interest in mechanics or engineering.

This 1868 compendium of ingenious mechanisms employs simple drawings to explain 507 of the small components that constitute complex machinery. Left-hand pages feature illustrations, and facing pages offer brief descriptions of  use and operation. Ranging from simple to complex, the mechanisms include cranks, pulleys, drills, wheels, and screws.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:41 -0400)

This 1868 compendium of ingenious mechanisms employs simple drawings to explain 507 of the small components that constitute complex machinery. Left-hand pages feature illustrations, and facing pages offer brief descriptions of use and operation. Ranging from simple to complex, the mechanisms include cranks, pulleys, drills, wheels, and screws.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible