The Hell You Say by Josh Lanyon

The Hell You Say (2007)

by Josh Lanyon

English (23)  Italian (1)  All (24)
Story: 9
Ridiculousness: 4
Annoying: 2
Audio: 10 (8h 14min)
To re-read: 9

This book of the series is a bit different. It's a solid read.
I like:
-The MC don't suddenly shift personalities to better serve a story
-It is not full of unnecessary sex every other chapter.
-The part where there is sadness and despair felt real to me. Suicide?
-Extensive research was done for the book.
-Secondary characters were not there as page fillers, but solid

Didn't like:Do people put themselves in such danger over and over in real life? (other than professionals) ( )
  lulumiami | Sep 3, 2017 |
4.5 stars

I can't slow down with this series. It's addictive! I love the mystery and suspense. The relationship drama Jake causes gets me fired up also. And I love Adrien's brand of humor. I'm jumping right into the next one. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
4.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
The third novel in the Adrien English series brings a lot of conflict and new characters. The case revolves around Satanism and Adrien gets swept up in it due to his assistant, Angus. Through the case we get introduced to one of Angus’ professor’s Guy Snowden, who, I’ll admit, I’m not altogether fond of. I’m not sure if that’s down to his personality, or just because of the situation with Jake.

Speaking of Jake…the relationship (if you want to call it that) with Jake has even more conflict here, due to Jake’s own issues and his attempt to be *normal*.

We also get to me the Dautens. Adrien’s mother, Lisa is getting married and her new husband has three daughters who try to welcome Adrien into their family with enthusiasm. To the point where Adrian says he’s trapped in a “Perry Como Christmas Special” when he spends the holiday with them. He’s not wrong. Still, I like the daughters.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, and while parts are kind of difficult, I think it’s an important misstep on the journey.
  saohicwitch | Apr 21, 2016 |
Review coming soon :) ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
To Nick (the other one), who keeps me on the straight and narrow. Well, on the narrow, anyway.
Sincere thanks also to B.W.B. and Drewey Wayne Gunn.
And finally, special thanks to the readers who kept pushing and pleading for a new Adrien English novel. This one’s for you.
The voice on the phone rasped, “Bones of anger, bones of dust, full of fury, revenge is just. I scatter these bones, these bones of rage, enemy mine, I bring you pain. Torment, fire, death the toll, with this hex I curse your soul. So mote it be.”
There is nothing new under the sun but there are lot of old things we don’t know. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary

The long anticipated third novel in the Adrien English series finds the “ill-starred and bookish” mystery writer and bookseller battling demons—maybe literally.

After bookstore clerk Angus flees following terrifying death threats, Adrien must contend with a mysterious Satanic cult, a hot and handsome university professor, and his on-again/off-again relationship with closeted LAPD Homicide Detective Jake Riordan.

And, oh, yes, murder....

PRAISE FOR THE ADRIEN ENGLISH SERIES.

“Written in a terse and laconic style, this is an exciting and entertaining read.”
—Colin Spencer, gaytimes on A DANGEROUS THING

“Lanyon’s second book is a riveting romp, moving along at an incredible pace. Detective Jake Riordan’s coming to terms with his first relationship with a man manages to be touching without being cliche-ridden.”
—Scott Matthewman, Gay.com UK on A DANGEROUS THING

“The second Adrien English murder mystery, A Dangerous Thing, is a likable, fast-paced detective story featuring a gay bookseller/novelist turned amateur sleuth. Enjoyable enough to have fans old and new clamoring for a third.”
—Gary M. Kramer, Lambda Book Report on A DANGEROUS THING

“Funny, filled with great thumbnail characterizations…a thoroughly satisfying read.”
—Eden Embler, I Love a Mystery on FATAL SHADOWS

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

Adrien English isn't really a detective, he's a bookseller and mystery writer who has a knack for attracting real life mischief and mayhem -- much to the displeasure of his sexy, sometimes-boyfriend, closeted homicide detective Jake Riordan. When bookstore assistant Angus falls afoul of a Satanic cult, Adrien falls afoul of Jake -- but despite the fact that his amateur sleuthing is playing hell with his love life, Adrien can't help but delving into this case of kooks, cults, devil worship, and human sacrifice. (A Lambda Literary Award finalist)… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,005,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible