Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis

Lunar Park (2005)

by Bret Easton Ellis

English (42)  French (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (48)
Ellis is the king of unreliable narrators.

There's a dog in a BEE story. Spoilers ahead.

So, I almost stopped because there's a dog and I know from the beginning that things will not end well for this dog. My feelings of dread increased every time the dog survived an encounter with the "thing". By the time I neared the end I just couldn't deal. I skipped over the dog's part even though it was during the climax of the book. I had to. My sympathy for the main character was already stretched thin from the way he treated Victor the dog.

But the rest of the book was awesome. Bret Easton Ellis does horror. And a fictional memoir. And a psychological thriller. And satire.

With a Furby. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
What started as a meta-fictional autobiography became a surreal horror novel. The only other book by Bret Easton Ellis I'd read before had been 'Less Than Zero' so I did not catch all of the references at first before some were explained in-book, others you have to figure out for yourself.

The novel begins with a fictional Ellis attempting a life of peace in the suburbs with his actress wife, estranged son and step-daughter. He does not seem to be coping well with normalcy and in the middle of his doubts he sees someone at his and his wife's Halloween party that shouldn't be there, someone he made up.

I don't want to give anything away, some may not be satisfied with this novel as it does not as closely resemble Ellis' other works, and it is hard to feel sympathy for characters like Ellis' who seem intent on self-destruction, but I feel that this novel set a different pace for him and there are moments of true, unnerving horror. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Irgendwie fühlte ich mich ein wenig an From Dusk til Dawn erinnert. Es fängt ganz normal an und gleitet dann irgendwann ins Phantastische ab.
Dafür habe ich aber auch seit langem zum ersten Mal wieder sämtliche Gliedmaßen unter meine Bettdecke gezogen, damit mir kein Monster reinbeißt. ;) ( )
  EkiTeebi | Apr 16, 2018 |
Si legge (se gli altri Ellis sono piaciuti), ma senza particolare entusiasmo.
Era più divertente nella fase "I don't wanna grow up".
Anche lui sembra cercare una via di fuga da stesso. Vediamo a cosa porterà questa metamorfosi (da farfalla a larva, pare :-P) ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
Darkly comic and genuinely horrific in places, this novel is Ellis's best work since his debut, Less Than Zero. Writing in the first person as a bizarre alcoholic, drug-addicted parody of himself, Ellis takes us on a dark journey into his celebrity lifestyle: married to an A-list Hollywood actress, father of a son he's estranged from, living in upstate New York

There are various plot strands ranging from Ellis's troubled relationship with his dead father, the disappearance of a number of boys from his son's school, to the activities of a serial killer who is apparently copying the killings from Ellis's earlier novel American Psycho.

The book is a fantastic read, easily the most enjoyable Ellis novel I've read. Yes his trademark cynicism is there along with the sense of fear and dislocation, but there is a new maturity to some of his writing, especially at the end, which is both moving and elegiac.

This is not a novel for a first timer to dive into. You'd be better off starting at the beginning with Less Than Zero. But for those who have read his earlier stuff, I'd recommend this. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Le risque du métier en faisant de soi un spectacle qui n'en finit pas, c'est qu'à un moment donné, on achète soi-même un billet.
Thomas McGuane, Panama
Les gens qui se sont fait une idée à propos d'un homme n'aiment pas devoir changer d'opinion, réviser leur jugement en raison d'une preuve nouvelle ou d'arguments nouveaux, et l'homme qui tente de les forcer à changer d'avis est, pour le moins, en train de perdre son temps et peut-être de chercher des ennuis.
John O'Hara
Des tablettes de ma mémoire
J'effacerai tout ce qui y fut inscrit de futile et de tendre
Tout adage livresque, toute forme,
Toute impression passée
Que ma déférente jeunesse y a copiés
Hamlet, I, v, 95
Pour Robert Martin Ellis 1941-1992 et Michael Wade Kaplan 1974-2004
"You do an awfully good impression of yourself."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375727272, Paperback)

Book Description:
Imagine becoming a bestselling novelist, and almost immediately famous and wealthy, while still in college, and before long seeing your insufferable father reduced to a bag of ashes in a safety-deposit box, while after American Psycho your celebrity drowns in a sea of vilification, booze, and drugs.

Then imagine having a second chance ten years later, as the Bret Easton Ellis of this remarkable novel is given, with a wife, children, and suburban sobriety--only to watch this new life shatter beyond recognition in a matter of days. At a fateful Halloween party he glimpses a disturbing (fictional) character driving a car identical to his late father's, his stepdaughter's doll violently "malfunctions," and their house undergoes bizarre transformations both within and without. Connecting these aberrations to graver events--a series of grotesque murders that no longer seem random and the epidemic disappearance of boys his son’s age--Ellis struggles to defend his family against this escalating menace even as his wife, their therapists, and the police insist that his apprehensions are rooted instead in substance abuse and egomania.

Lunar Park confounds one expectation after another, passing through comedy and mounting horror, both psychological and supernatural, toward an astonishing resolution--about love and loss, fathers and sons--in what is surely the most powerfully original and deeply moving novel of an extraordinary career.

A Tale of Two Brets: An Amazon.com Interview with Bret Easton Ellis
In his novel Lunar Park, Bret Easton Ellis takes first-person narrative to an extreme, inserting himself (and a host of real characters from the publishing world) into the haunting story of a drugged-out famous writer living in the suburbs trying to reconnect with his wife and son and reconcile his damaged past. Ellis is at the top of his game in Lunar Park, his first novel since 1999's Glamorama, delivering a disturbing and delirious novel about celebrity, writers, and fathers and sons (not to mention a cameo from notorious Ellis creation, Patrick Bateman). Amazon.com senior editor Brad Thomas Parsons spoke with Ellis in a Seattle to Los Angeles phone call to talk about the fact and fiction behind Lunar Park, New York versus LA, '80s music, and the whole "American Psycho thing."

Read the Amazon.com interview with Bret Easton Ellis
Less Than Zero (1985)
Published when Ellis was a junior at Bennington, Less Than Zero is the mesmerizing first-person chronicle of Clay, our laconic, zoned-out guide to a subculture of over-privileged nihilism in early '80s Los Angeles. He travels back home from Camden College (a thinly veiled Bennington) for Christmas break and re-enters his circle of jaded friends--including his ex-girlfriend Blair, and his best friend Julian, who's now hustling to support his drug habit--and a parade of Porches, late-night parties, cocaine, and casual destruction.

Ellis on Ellis: "I don't think it's a perfect book by any means, but it's valid. I get where it comes from. I get what it is. There's a lot of it that I wish was slightly more elegantly written. Overall, I was pretty shocked. It was pretty good writing for someone who was 19."

The Rules of Attraction (1987)
A line-up of Camden College students share the narrating duties in The Rules of Attraction, Ellis' sex-fueled, drug-baked second novel. There's Lauren (who's in the midst of losing her virginity as the book opens), who longs for her boyfriend Victor, currently traveling through Europe; Lauren's ex, Paul, a bisexual party boy who hooks up with hard-drinking closet-case Sean (surname Bateman--that's right, younger brother of Patrick), who also has the hots for Lauren. Less than Zero's Clay makes a cameo appearance as well as a passing glimpse of Ellis' Bennington classmate Donna Tartt's murderous Classics majors from The Secret History.

Ellis on Ellis: "It might be my favorite book of mine. I was writing that book while I was at college. Sort of like the best of times, the worst of times. There was a lot of elation, there was a lot of despair. It was just a really fun book to write. I loved mimicking all the different voices. The stream of conscious does get a little out of hand. I kind of like that about the book. It's kind of all over the place. It's casual. It's scruffy. That's the one book of mine that I have a very, very soft spot for."

American Psycho (1991)
Shopaholic sociopath Patrick Bateman's killer grip drags readers into a bloody, brand-name, urban nightmare as the 26-year-old Wall Street yuppie executes his grooming habits and eviscerates strangers with equal élan. Simon & Schuster dropped the too-hot-to-handle American Psycho which was then published as a paperback original by Vintage Books. Ellis received death threats while the book was boycotted, sliced up by reviewers, and went on to become a bestseller. Mary Harron's 2000 film version starred then little-known British actor Christian Bale, who would later suit up as the Dark Knight in 2005's Batman Begins.

Ellis on Ellis: "It was good. It was fun. It was not nearly as pretentious as I remember I wanted it to be when I was writing it. I found it really fast-moving. I found it really funny. And I liked it a lot. The violence was... it made my toes curl. I really freaked out. I couldn't believe how violent it was. It was truly upsetting. I had to steel myself to re-read those passages."

The Informers (1994)
Ellis returns to early '80s Los Angeles ennui with The Informers, a loosely connected collection of stories of the bored, rich, and morally depraved, written around the same time as Less than Zero. Sex, drugs, and gratuitous violence take center stage, with characters including an aging, predatory anchorwoman, a debauched rock star tearing through Japan, and a pick-up artist vampire. While some of the vignettes echo better Ellis works, ultimately the stories don't add to much as a whole. Book critics are less than receptive to Ellis' post-American Psycho offering.

Ellis on Ellis: "Those were written while I was at Bennington. I wrote a lot of short stories between 1981 or 1982 or so... The Informers more or less kind of represented probably the best of those stories. I wrote a lot of really bad ones, but those are the ones that worked the best together."

Glamorama (1999)
Actor-model Victor Ward (who first made an appearance in the Ellis oeuvre in The Rules of Attraction) is the narrator of Glamorama, Ellis longest novel yet. Ellis offers bold-faced names and celebrity skewering in the first half of the book as Victor tries to open a Manhattan club while cheating on his supermodel girlfriend and double-crossing his partner, but the second half takes a violent, paranoid turn as Victor is sent to England and unwittingly lured into a sadistic ring of international terrorists (posing as supermodels) leaving a bloody trail across the globe.

Ellis on Ellis: "[T]he book wasn't necessarily about terrorism to me. It was about a whole bunch of other stuff. It's definitely the book that I can tell--I don't know if other people can tell but I can tell as a writer--is probably the most divisive that I've written. It has an equal number of detractors as it does fans. It doesn't really hold true with the other books. It was the one that took the longest to write, and the one that seemed the most important at the time. It's an unwieldy book... I like it."

Ellis on DVD

Less Than Zero

American Psycho
The Rules of Attraction
Will the Real Bret Easton Ellis Please Stand Up?
Visit the author's Web site at www.2brets.com.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:15 -0400)

Part comic memoir, part thriller, part heartbreaking saga of fathers and sons, the highly anticipated and exquisitely executed tour de force from the legendary Bret Easton Ellis. NATIONAL BESTSELLER. First time in paperback. 416pp PUBLISHER ANNOTATION, c2007.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible