Requiem Mass by Elizabeth Corley

Requiem Mass (1998)

by Elizabeth Corley

English (4)  Dutch (2)  All (6)
Requiem Mass by Elizabrth Corley
Andrew Fenwick series Book #1
3.5 ★'s

What's It About?
When young mother Debbie Fearnside goes missing, police interest is minimal. Then DCI Andrew Fenwick notices a curious set of coincidences with the case of murder victim Kate Johnstone. It becomes clear they have both been murdered, revenge for a long-forgotten death.

What I Think?
It doesn't carry much of a surprise. It is the first book in the series and I know they can sometimes be a bit awkward but there was just some points that were a bit fuzzy and not cleared up very well. I have read the second book and found that it's plot was more tightly construed. I still need to post the review for it but I will give this series the chance that I feel it deserves. ( )
  Carol420 | Jul 1, 2017 |
Requiem Mass by Elizabeth Corley was a mass of contradictions for me. I quite liked the story but had to overlook some parts that stretched my imagination to the breaking point. I also liked the characters, especially the main one, DCI Andrew Fenwick, and would be interested in continuing to read about his life. The book was long for a mystery, being over 400 pages, but it read quickly and certainly kept my attention. The story is about revenge and was quite the thriller.

A few things however, that I found hard to believe made it difficult to take the book seriously. Obviously set in the days before computers were widely used in crime investigations, there were still many items that were difficult to swallow. For example, at one point the investigative team were interviewing current and ex-school teachers and pupils and no one remembered or brought up the tragic falling-from-the-cliffs death of a schoolgirl (a close friend of the current victim) even though it happened twenty years ago. I also found that the elaborately detailed plan that the killer used to abduct his first victim included more than a few incidents of sheer luck, such as his intended victim reading the classified ads and applying for the job that he was advertising. Also, the fact that the disappearance of this young wife and mother was not investigated further and was simply accepted as a voluntary disappearance even though her husband was loudly calling for a police investigation just struck me as wrong.

This is the first book in a series, and I do have the second on my shelves so I will continue on with the next one, but the stories will have to get tighter and the details a little more believable before I commit to the whole series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Finally a book I can get into! I have read a few too many chick-lit's lately which are not my thing. I thought it was time to get back into my old favourites - crime thrillers. This books did not disappoint. It was fast paced and with enough twists in the plot to keep you guessing until the end. I kept deciding on who the 'bad guy' was, then changing my mind again! Would like to read more by this author. ( )
  moosenoose | Apr 25, 2011 |
The second DCI Fenwick story I've read and set earlier than the first, explaining some of Fenwick's back story. I found myself unable to put down this book until I'd finished it. A group of former school friends is targeted by a tough ex-army attacker, but what is the link and what secret has lain hidden for so long that has made them the target of his apparent hatred? The plot develops at a cracking pace as Fenwick struggles to find the attacker, whilst trying to keep his fragile family together. Highly recommended. ( )
  edwardsgt | Jan 14, 2011 |
To my parents, Robert and Yvonne Trown, with love
The old man was dying.

When young mother Debbie Fearnside goes missing, police interest is minimal. Then DCI Andrew Fenwick notices a curious set of coincidences with the case of Kate Johnstone. It becomes clear they have been murdered, revenge for a long-forgotten death.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,090,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible