Man and Boy by Tony Parsons

Man and Boy (1999)

by Tony Parsons

The Best a Man Can Get by John O'Farrell (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Same family-based theme, plenty of humour

English (26)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (28)
An interesting perspective on the perils and proud moments of parenting; and the crucial role of the parent–child relationship in the development of every individual involved. A blind (book) date courtesy of @rhaimiefications An 'easy listening' (easy reading) of the literary world. 🌕🌕🌕🌑🌑 #ManAndBoy #TonyParsons #Book #Review #LifeLessons #Parenthood #Parenting #FatherAndSon #AFYReviews ( )
  l_affinity | Apr 18, 2017 |
I really wanted to read this book and finally got round to it. I felt it started with a bit of promise but kind of didn't get better.

Meet Harry, happily married with a little boy and a good job. He cheats on his wife and she leaves him and also his contract isn't renewed at work. His wife is very upset as she gave up her dream to go to Tokyo to be with Harry and decides that she's going to go as a result. She leaves their son behind and Harry now has to be a parent to his son, a job that took him 10 minutes a day previously. He does step up to the plate and makes a go of it but still feels like the injured party in the whole situation. This was annoying. I mean, Harry seems like a nice enough guy but apologise to your wife and accept you did wrong. And no, you don't get a medal for being a single father for a short time. Gina annoyed me to an extent too, she just left her son and went to Tokyo, Seriously? Harry's parents were likable though and added a nice tough. I'm glad Harry accepted the challenges in raising his son, but he had little choice anyway. And the book ended the way I thought it would so there is an element of predictability.

One this I didn't like was - they are in England but mum is 'mom' in the book. And they talk about soccer. It would have been good to use the English terms and spellings. My book is a US version but everyone knows that mum and Football are the same as mom and Soccer. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Feb 26, 2017 |

Nataliec7 | Feb 26, 2017 |
This intriguing novel will pull at your heart-strings as a man learns to become a father to his son and a son to his own father, finds new love and makes the toughest decision of his life.
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jul 2, 2016 |
Harry Silver is on the verge of his thirtieth birthday, and is having a bit of a breakdown. He married young, and now has a four-year-old son with his wife. He works long hours as a television producer, which gives him even less time to be with his family. After making a wrong move, Harry finds himself raising his son alone while his wife tries to follow the dreams she gave up when they first married. The writing is so well-done that you're sucked into the story immediately, even if there is a slight lack of emotion when it comes to Harry's relationships with women. His relationships with his son and parents are extremely vivid, however, and they make up for his passive romantic relationships.

It's an amazing book and I'm excited to read the next two in the trilogy. The trilogy is: Man and Boy, Man and Wife, and Men From the Boys. I say this because if you want to read the trilogy, do NOT look it up on Goodreads. If you're like me, your eyes will scan the blurbs and you'll know spoilers about what happens in book two that kind of messes up your reading of book one. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
For my mother
The Most Beautiful Boy in the World - It's a boy, it's a boy! It's a little boy.
Love is what's left when being in love has gone, okay? It's when you care about someone and you hope they're happy, but you're not under any illusions about them. Maybe that kind of love is not exciting and passionate and all those things that fade with time. All those things that you're so keen on. But in the end it's the only kind of love that really matters.

Harry Silver has it all: a beautiful wife, a wonderful son, a great jobin the media - but in one night he throws it all away. Then Harry must start to learn what life and love are really about.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:05 -0400)

A fabulously engaging and exciting novel about a man who has to learn about life and love the hard way. Harry Silver has it all. A successful job in TV, a gorgeous wife, a lovely child. And in one moment of madness, he chucks it all away. Man and Boy is the story of how he comes to terms with his life and achieves a degree of self-respect, bringing up his son alone and, gradually, learning what words like love and family really mean. It is very well written, pacy, funny, and heart-breakingly moving.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible