Our Three Selves: The Life of Radclyffe Hall…

Our Three Selves: The Life of Radclyffe Hall (1985)

by Michael Baker

931129,846 (4)12

When I began this book I knew absolutely nothing about Radclyffe Hall. This biography is about her private and public life. It goes into depth regarding the writing of her short stories, poetry and her novels as well; even so far as telling the stories. This was a woman who fought for everything she ever gained in her life. The book goes into her many travels to different countries and her political and religious life. By the time I had finished reading this book, I felt as if I knew the real Radclyffe Hall.
She was a fascinating woman who led a fascinating life, albeit sometimes an unhappy & miserable life. One of the biggest battles in her life was her fight to get The Well of Loneliness published both in England and in America. Some of the biggest names in writing at the time stood forth for Radclyffe, or John as she liked to be called, during the court battles over the publication of this book. In 1928 the British courts banned the book as 'obscene' and ordered all copies destroyed.
Parts of the biography do deal with her lesbianism and how the world around her dealt with it as well as sharing the stories of her great loves and what they brought to and took from her life.
The author, Michael Baker, has done a wonderful job on this bio. It was interesting and generally to the point. It doesn't paint Hall as a perfect person but just gives us her life. I enjoyed this read tremendously, recommend it highly to those who are interested in the writing of this particular era and rated it 4 stars. ( )
4 vote rainpebble | Sep 7, 2011 |
For Cathy
Prologue: On the morning of February 7, 1917, three women sat round a table in a darkened roo in Maida Vale, London.
Chapter One: The house in the Christchurch district of Bournemouth was called 'Sunny Lawn' -- an absurdly inappropriate name in view of the misery and strife that would take place under its roof.

1 avail.1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,587,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible