Brutal: The Untold Story of My Life Inside…

Brutal: The Untold Story of My Life Inside Whitey Bulger's Irish Mob

by Kevin Weeks

Kevin Weeks grew up in South Boston, a tough neighborhood where being able to handle yourself on the street was the most important thing. His ability to handle himself got noticed by James Bulger who ran the rackets, or mob in South Boston “Southie”. This is a first person account of his life and his experiences as an associate of “Whitey” Bulger. The shakedowns, the drug business, the murders, some committed by him, some witnessed by him and cleaned up after by him and some that he just knew about. Most of the time, they killed other criminals, some that were paying to be in business in their area, some that they felt couldn’t keep quiet about what happened, and some that were informants to the police.

After Steve Flemmi was arrested and before Kevin was arrested Kevin found out that Whitey had been an FBI informant. This information changed his whole attitude about who he needed to be loyal to. It resulted in him cooperating with the authorities.

This book is written in a very straightforward manner, like Kevin Weeks is sitting next to you having a conversation with you. The things he did are said very matter of fact, who they killed, why they killed. He appears to be remorseless, but this appears to be a coping mechanism. Since the people he killed were criminals, it was business and they knew the risks of doing business as criminals, he prefers not to dwell on the past. He regrets the time spent away from his children, and that his choices cost him his marriage.

He ends the book with a ‘Where are they now’ section and of himself he says, “Grateful for a second chance.” ( )
  BellaFoxx | Mar 31, 2013 |
I really got into this book as I read it. Toward the end I think there were too0 many charqacters and I got confused. Now, looking back at the book I don't think it was that great but I did like it while I was reading it. ( )
  megrockstar | Oct 24, 2007 |
The author details his life as a criminal. It's interesting and disturbing. Although he expresses some remorse about his past, it seems insufficient. Maybe he's now a really good guy or something but I felt complicit in his crimes by purchasing the book. ( )
  jdmays | Dec 26, 2006 |

I grew up in the Old Colony housing project in South Boston and became partners with James "Whitey" Bulger, who I always called Jimmy.

Jimmy and I, we were unstoppable. We took what we wanted. And we made people disappear—permanently. We made millions. And if someone ratted us out, we killed him. We were not nice guys.

I found out that Jimmy had been an FBI informant in 1999, and my life was never the same. When the feds finally got me, I was faced with something Jimmy would have killed me for—cooperating with the authorities. I pled guilty to twenty-nine counts, including five murders. I went away for five and a half years.

I was brutally honest on the witness stand, and this book is brutally honest, too; the brutal truth that was never before told. How could it? Only three people could tell the true story. With one on the run and one in jail for life, it falls on me.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

Kevin Weeks grew up in the Old Colony housing project in South Boston and became partners with James "Whitey" Bulger, who he always called Jimmy. Together they took what they wanted and made people disappear -- permanently. They made millions together, until Jimmy became an FBI informant in 1999 and Kevin was put away for five and a half years. Now out of prison, Kevin tells the true story of his experiences with Jimmy Bulger.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible