The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole by Sue…

The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (1984)

by Sue Townsend

Series: Adrian Mole (2)

A sensitive British teenager records more highs and lows from his life in his diary.

The second installment of diary entries of Adrian Mole, a naive teenager who believes himself to be an intellectual. I read this as a child and found it funny then and even funnier now that I understand Adrian's misinterpretations of the event in his life even better. The audiobook narrator, Nicholas Barnes, does a really great job with Adrian's voice. ( )
  -Eva- | Jan 21, 2018 |
After surprising myself by liking the first in the Adrian Mole series, I started working my way through the rest of the series, starting with this one, "The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole".

There are some great lines here (opening the book at a random, the first line I see is "The nearest Barry Kent has been to Japanese culture is sitting on the pillion of a stolen Honda"), and deep thoughts mixed in with a statement showing he still doesn't quite understand much of the world.

The Adrian Mole series becomes more depressing as he ages so this one is still humorous without being tempered by feelings of mortality. ( )
1 vote MiaCulpa | Oct 30, 2016 |
The second volume in the series of Adrian Mole books, another re-read from my youth. This covers the period from the Falklands War in April 1982 to the eve of the general election in June 1983, when Adrian is just about to sit his O levels (as was I). These first two books were really good, and the humour is laugh out loud funny. The early 1980s do feel like a different world in many ways, a world without the internet and mobile phones. I was shyer than Adrian, but my family background was a lot more stable. ( )
  john257hopper | Sep 30, 2014 |
Through BookMooch this one will find a new reader. Happy reading!
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
After reading the first Adrian Mole book a while ago, I couldn't resist when I saw this one, the second one, for a few cents in a second hand shop. In the case of this series, I think if you like the first, you'll like the rest, and if you don't you won't.
This book comes right after the first one ended. His parents are trying it together again, he is with his girlfriend Pandora, he is hitting puberty. For a seemingly smart boy he can be pretty far from the real world sometimes. He always tries his best, but the assumptions he makes are not quite real. This leads to some humorous and cringe-worthy situations. I really likes the first book, and liked this one too. Four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Oct 22, 2011 |

Sue Townsendprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barnes, NicholasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Damave, Henri√ętteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holden, CarolineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The aristocratic rebel, since he has enough to eat, must have other causes of discontent.' Bertrand Russell The History of Western Philosophy
To Mum, Dad and the whole family, with love and thanks
My father has sent a telegram to the War Office.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,181,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible