The growing pains of Adrian Mole by Sue…

The growing pains of Adrian Mole (original 1984; edition 1985)

by Sue Townsend

Member:peterrambags
Title:The growing pains of Adrian Mole
Authors:Sue Townsend
Info:

The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend (1984)

When I found this book chucked out of the second-hand bookshop, I decided to read it, not expecting too much even though over thirty years ago I did enjoy Townsend’s first book. I just expected to find the humour dated and repetitive. It’s odd the way humour dates more quickly than other tones. When I watched ‘The Graduate’ again a couple of years ago, I couldn’t think what I saw in it all those years ago. The same when I reread ‘Catch 22’.

So, to get back to this book, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I still enjoyed it. Yes, some of the humour is a little formulaic, such as Courtney Elliot leaving academic life ‘after a quarrel in a university common room about the allocation of new chairs. Apparently he was promised a chair and didn’t get it. It seems a trivial thing to leave a good job for. After all, one chair is very much like another’. But what I was lifted by was the way Townsend makes Adrian Mole a kind, caring person, ready to bath the rather obnoxious Bert for example, and the way she injects a lot of balanced observations into the book, no doubt considered left-wing by conservative readers. Still, I think she’s right when she has Adrian Mole observing ‘most of the army cadets I know forget that real soldiers have to kill people’ after his friend Nigel has decided to join the army and then he’ll have a career afterwards (‘what, as a contract killer?’).

In fact, Adrian Mole’s depression, for all its humour value, is based on serious issues of the time, something else which would have been appealing to those living in Thatcher’s Britain. I can sympathise with Adrian Mole when he says ‘I don’t know a single, sane adult. They are all barmy. If they are not fighting in the Middle East, they are dressing poodles in plastic macs or having their bodies deep frozen. Or reading The Sun because they think it’s a newspaper’. And we have ‘ the government is spending a billion pounds on buying war equipment. Yet one of our school laboratories is closing down after Christmas, because they can’t afford to pay a new teacher’. Townsend is clearly conveying her opinions about the lack of balance politicians have.

Still, perhaps we have to remember what the school nurse told Adrian Mole when he said parents should moral, consistent and have morals – ‘It’s a lot to ask’. Still, I think she and her protagonist were right to ask and I’m sorry that such a caring novelist is no longer with us. This book won’t physically stay with me either as, just like the first Adrian Mole book I bought, its spine cracked and disintegrated – Adrian Mole would have had something to say to Methuen about that! ( )
  evening | Dec 30, 2015 |
The second volume in the series of Adrian Mole books, another re-read from my youth. This covers the period from the Falklands War in April 1982 to the eve of the general election in June 1983, when Adrian is just about to sit his O levels (as was I). These first two books were really good, and the humour is laugh out loud funny. The early 1980s do feel like a different world in many ways, a world without the internet and mobile phones. I was shyer than Adrian, but my family background was a lot more stable. ( )
  john257hopper | Sep 30, 2014 |
Through BookMooch this one will find a new reader. Happy reading!
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
After reading the first Adrian Mole book a while ago, I couldn't resist when I saw this one, the second one, for a few cents in a second hand shop. In the case of this series, I think if you like the first, you'll like the rest, and if you don't you won't.
This book comes right after the first one ended. His parents are trying it together again, he is with his girlfriend Pandora, he is hitting puberty. For a seemingly smart boy he can be pretty far from the real world sometimes. He always tries his best, but the assumptions he makes are not quite real. This leads to some humorous and cringe-worthy situations. I really likes the first book, and liked this one too. Four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Oct 22, 2011 |
Love it ( )
  chicjohn | Dec 3, 2009 |

Sue Townsendprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Damave, HenriëtteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holden, CarolineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The aristocratic rebel, since he has enough to eat, must have other causes of discontent.' Bertrand Russell The History of Western Philosophy
To Mum, Dad and the whole family, with love and thanks
My father has sent a telegram to the War Office.

The brand new edition of the hilarious, bestselling follow-up to The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 and 3/4 , Sue Townsend's The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole.

Sunday July 18th.

My father announced at breakfast that he is going to have a vasectomy. I pushed my sausages away untouched.

In this second instalment of teenager Adrian Mole's diaries, the Mole family is in crisis and the country is beating the drum of war. While his parents have reconciled after both embarked on disastrous affairs, Adrian is shocked to learn of his mother's pregnancy.

And even though at the mercy of his rampant hormones and the fickle whims of the divine Pandora, a victim of a broken home and his own tortured (though unrecognised) genius, Adrian continues valiantly to chronicle the pains and pleasures of a misspent adolescence.

'Adrian Mole will be remembered some day as one of England's great diarists' Evening Standard

'The funniest, most bitter-sweet book you're likely to read this year' Daily Mirror

'Funny, moving and a poke in the eye for adult morality' Sunday Express

Sue Townsend is Britain's favourite comic author. Since the publication of The Secret Diaries of Adrian Mole Aged 13 and 3/4 in 1982, she has made us weep with laughter and pricked the nation's conscience. Seven further volumes of diaries have followed: The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole, The True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole, Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years, Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years, The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction and Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years. All have been acclaimed bestsellers, some have been adapted for radio and TV, starring Lulu, Julie Walters and Stephen Mangan, among others. She has also written six other popular novels (The Queen and I, Queen Camilla, Number Ten, Rebuilding Coventry, Ghost Children and The Woman Who Went to Bed for A Year) and penned many well-received plays. She lives in Leicester, where she was born and grew up.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:38 -0400)

A sensitive British teenager records more highs and lows from his life in his diary.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,399,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible