Man Walks into a Pub by Pete Brown

Man Walks into a Pub

by Pete Brown

A conversational history of beer by my favourite beer writer. ( )
  allyshaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
From the long, tumultuous history of beer -- including a good stretch as essential daily nutrition -- the dizzying acquisitions of big business -- including the rise and fall of Stella -- the glimpse of our minds on ads, and governments' and 'concerned' groups' attempts to fit beer in our lives, I was hooked on Brown's latest edition.

His writing strikes that often difficult balance between entertaining and engaging, and informative. While I've obviously embraced this wondrously varied beer culture since moving to Britain a few years ago, I would like to think Man Walks Into A Pub has something for just about everyone (even if they need to skip ahead a few sections every now and then). ( )
  jlj | Jan 22, 2012 |

In Man Walks into a Pub, Pete Brown takes us on a journey through the amazing history of beer, from the first sacred sip of ancient Egyptian bouza to the last pint of lager on a Friday night. It’s an extraordinary tale of yeast-obsessed monks and teetotaling prime ministers; of exploding breweries, a bear in a yellow nylon jacket, and a Canadian who changed the drinking habits of a nation. It’s also the story of the rise of the British pub, from humble origins through an epic, thousand-year struggle to survive bad government and misguided commerce.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:26:18 -0400)

In "Man Walks Into A Pub", Pete Brown takes us on a well-lubricated pub-crawl through the amazing story of beer, from the first sacred sip of ancient Egyptian bouza to the last pint of lager on a Friday night. It's an extraordinary tale of yeast-obsessed monks and teetotal prime ministers; of how pale ale fuelled an Empire and weak bitter won a world war; of exploding breweries, a bear in a yellow nylon jacket and a Canadian bloke who changed the dringking habits of a nation. It's also the story of the rise of the pub from humble origins through an epic, thousand-year struggle to survive misunderstanding, bad government and misguided commerce.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible