Entrevistas Breves Con Hombres Repulsivos/…

Entrevistas Breves Con Hombres Repulsivos/ Brief Interview With Obnoxious… (original 1999; edition 2005)

by David Foster Wallace (Author)

Member:Rpeliroig
Title:Entrevistas Breves Con Hombres Repulsivos/ Brief Interview With Obnoxious Mens (Debolsillo 21) (Spanish Edition)
Authors:David Foster Wallace (Author)
Info:(2005), 408 pages
Tags:narrativa

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace (1999)

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally nasty and disturbing and beautifully written

English (41)  Dutch (2)  All languages (43)
This book is five stars, and more. It's a whole galaxy. And not because I enjoyed every moment. On the contrary, it was tedious, painfully detailed, demanding, repetitive. Virtuoso. In other words, not the 'sweetness of forgetting.'

It's not a book that can be measured with stars. This is the authentic experience of life through the eyes of an uncompromising virtuoso artist who doesn't know or want anything else. He makes no assumptions, neither to himself nor to his readers. He is total in what he does, and that is what I am looking for when reading a literary work. ( )
  AmandaParker | Mar 13, 2019 |
This was my first DFW and although some parts were pretty dense and a little difficult to get through (like jeez, chill out with the footnotes!), overall reading it was a pretty amazing experience. I know some people criticise him for trying too hard to come across as erudite but I don't agree with that, I got the sense that he was just trying to portray the human condition as honestly and accurately as he possible could, and for me it totally worked. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
I love you Wallace, and I'm sad that you're dead, but you don't deserve all the accolades you've received. There are some really brilliant and human writings in this collection, but then some of them are over-done and over-long, much like your Infinite Jest. You just needed a better editor... ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
Wallace at the height of his powers. "Octet" in particular is required reading. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
The title stories (the Brief Interviews) did not really do it for me, but there are some gems in this collection of short stories. Octet is incredibly well-executed and entertaining to the point that it left me feeling a kind of "reader's high". I think it's a result of DFW's success in actually speaking to the reader and making it feel real, or as real as the meta-narrative can.

Adult World is another favorite of mine. DFW does so well with developing characters and so selectively revealing these characters to his readers. I am always feeling like he has so much more in his mind or in his notes that is simply left "on the cutting room floor", so to speak. The depth of his characters is great, and the way he chooses to develop them before our eyes highlights the depth, but it also creates an exciting feeling that there is always more and no, you do not get to see it.

The footnotes are frustrating at times, and at other times I feel like some of the best parts of his stories are in the footnotes. This, I think, is not unintentional (nothing in the structure of a DFW story could possibly be unintentional). The writing at times does feel pedantic, but knowing what we do about DFW, it seems he was probably always struggling to push toward a more natural-feeling style, as opposed to lapsing into pedantic masturbation.

I'll definitely be re-reading some of these stories. ( )
1 vote jantz | Jan 1, 2017 |
The fifty-six-year-old American poet, a Nobel Laureate, a poet known in American literary circles as "the poet's poet" or sometimes simply "the Poet," lay outside on the deck, bare-chested, moderately overweight, in a partially reclined deck chair, in the sun, reading, half supine, moderately but not severely overweight, winner of two National Book Awards, a National Book Critics Circle Award, a Lamont Prize, two grants from the National Endowment for the Ars, a Prix de Rome, a Lannan Foundation Fellowship, a MacDowell Medal, and a Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award from the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters, a president emeritus of PEN, a poet two separate American generations have hailed as the voice of their generation, now fifty-sex, lying in an unwet XL Speedo-brand swimsuit in an incrementally reclinable canvas deck chair on the tile deck beside the home's pool, a poet who was among the first ten Americans to receive a "Genius Grant" from the prestigious John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, one of only three American recipients of the Nobel Prize for Literature now loving, 5'8", 181 lbs., brown/brown, hairline unevenly recessed because of the inconsistent acceptance/rejection of various Hair Augmentation Systems--brand transplants, he say, or lay -- or perhaps most accurately just 'reclined' -- in a black Speedo swimsuit by the home's kidney-shaped pool, on the pool's tile deck...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316925195, Paperback)

Amid the screams of adulation for bandanna-clad wunderkind David Foster Wallace, you might hear a small peep. It is the cry for some restraint. On occasion the reader is left in the dust wondering where the story went, as the author, literary turbochargers on full-blast, suddenly accelerates into the wild-blue-footnoted yonder in pursuit of some obscure metafictional fancy. Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, Wallace's latest collection, is at least in part a response to the distress signal put out by the many readers who want to ride along with him, if he'd only slow down for a second.

The intellectual gymnastics and ceaseless rumination endure (if you don't have a tolerance for that kind of thing, your nose doesn't belong in this book), but they are for the most part couched in simpler, less frenzied narratives. The book's four-piece namesake takes the form of interview transcripts, in which the conniving horror that is the male gender is revealed in all of its licentious glory. In the short, two-part "The Devil Is a Busy Man," Wallace strolls through the Hall of Mirrors that is human motivation. (Is it possible to completely rid an act of generosity of any self-serving benefits? And why is it easier to sell a couch for five dollars than it is to give it away for free?) The even shorter glimpse into modern-day social ritual, "A Radically Condensed History of Postindustrial Life," stretches the seams of its total of seven lines with scathing economy: "She laughed extremely hard, hoping to be liked. Then each drove home alone, staring straight ahead, with the very same twist to their faces." Wallace also imbues his extreme observational skills with a haunting poetic sensibility. Witness what he does to a diving board and the two darkened patches at the end of it in "Forever Overhead":

It's going to send you someplace which its own length keeps you from seeing, which seems wrong to submit to without even thinking.... They are skin abraded from feet by the violence of the disappearance of people with real weight.
Of course, not every piece is an absolute winner. "The Depressed Person" slips from purposefully clinical to unintentionally boring. "Tri-Stan: I Sold Sissee Nar to Ecko" reimagines an Arthurian tale in MTV terms and holds your attention for about as long as you'd imagine from such a description. Ultimately, however, even these failed experiments are a testament to Mr. Wallace's endless if unbridled talent. Once he gets the reins completely around that sucker, it's going to be quite a ride. --Bob Michaels

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:12 -0400)

A collection of 23 stories, several of which deal with misunderstandings between men and women. In one, a man assumes that women find his mutilated arm sexy, in another a wife is inhibited in her lovemaking by fear that her husband will think she is a slut.

Legacy Library: David Foster Wallace

David Foster Wallace has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See David Foster Wallace's legacy profile.

See David Foster Wallace's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,491,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible