Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of…

Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took…

by Ben Mezrich

Six MIT students form a team to play blackjack to win in the 90s. The story focuses mostly on Kevin Lewis, who leads eventually leads a double life. He's an MIT student & eventually gets a job, but on the weekends, he becomes one of a group that travels to Vegas and other gambling places as a players team - and have figured out a team method to consistently win at blackjack with hauls of thousands to hundreds of thousands per weekend, to split amongst themselves and their "investors". Very lucrative gig, for as long as it lasted. ( )
  nancynova | May 30, 2018 |
Okay, I admit it. I'm a poker player/fan. So interesting to read about how they pulled this off. If you like poker, a definite read. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
I really did enjoy this book. I had it in paper but sent it along on its merry way via Bookmooch. I got the book because ads for the movie 21 looked interesting, but read the book first. Another instance of the book being better than the film. ( )
  Tanya.Book.Hughes | Dec 20, 2016 |
How do you make a book about sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll boring? This is how! Saw the film, enjoyed it. Read this, hoping to gain a deeper insight into what "happened". I'm also a bit obsessively interested with card counting and general numberiness so I was disappointed that took up about ten pages of the book and the rest was just a boring: "AND THEN HE WON MONEY. AND THEN HE LOST MONEY. AND THEN THE CASINO GOT UPSET."

Guh. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
In his sixth grade class, Charlie Lewis is known as Numbers, for his love of all-things math. When an MIT student recruits “Numbers” aka Charlie to join a team of middle school students in a secret math club, Charlie is thrilled. Their goal is to learn how using principles of physics, chemistry, and math can beat the odds at carnival games. After months of practicing, Charlie has his chance to prove his meddle and take home the prize of a lifetime park pass. The lessons he learns about being manipulated, about being honorable and responsible add up to a rollicking read aloud for a middle school math class. Students will be tempted to test out games to see if they too can beat the odds. ( )
  pataustin | Mar 1, 2016 |
21 (2008IMDb)

#1 National Bestseller!

The amazing inside story about a gambling ring of M.I.T. students who beat the system in Vegas -- and lived to tell how.

Robin Hood meets the Rat Pack when the best and the brightest of M.I.T.'s math students and engineers take up blackjack under the guidance of an eccentric mastermind. Their small blackjack club develops from an experiment in counting cards on M.I.T.'s campus into a ring of card savants with a system for playing large and winning big. In less than two years they take some of the world's most sophisticated casinos for more than three million dollars. But their success also brings with it the formidable ire of casino owners and launches them into the seedy underworld of corporate Vegas with its private investigators and other violent heavies.

Filled with tense action, high stakes, and incredibly close calls, Bringing Down the House is a nail-biting read that chronicles a real-life Ocean's Eleven. It's one story that Vegas does not want you to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:41 -0400)

Recounts the story of how a notorious gang of MIT blackjack savants devised and received backing for a system for winning at the world's most sophisticated casinos, an endeavor that earned them more than three million dollars.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,222,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible