Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of…

by Ben Mezrich

Member:leonardr
Title:Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
Authors:Ben Mezrich
Info:Free Press (2003), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read

Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich

Not an engaging, suspenseful read as such but it is definitely interesting to see the mechanics of card-counting and just how they pulled this off.

Certainly worth a quick read. ( )
  rimbo90 | Mar 29, 2015 |
Fascinating story! ( )
  anitatally | Jan 26, 2015 |
How do you make a book about sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll boring? This is how! Saw the film, enjoyed it. Read this, hoping to gain a deeper insight into what "happened". I'm also a bit obsessively interested with card counting and general numberiness so I was disappointed that took up about ten pages of the book and the rest was just a boring: "AND THEN HE WON MONEY. AND THEN HE LOST MONEY. AND THEN THE CASINO GOT UPSET."

Guh. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
A fun, fast read that made me want a taste of the high life. ( )
  The_Kat_Cache | Oct 18, 2014 |
This book was well written and the topic interesting, but the book fell far below my expectations. Perhaps this was because of the hype about the book and the possibility of an upcoming movie, but I found the book ho hum. One thumb up. ( )
  branjohb | Sep 10, 2014 |
21 (2008IMDb)

#1 National Bestseller!

The amazing inside story about a gambling ring of M.I.T. students who beat the system in Vegas -- and lived to tell how.

Robin Hood meets the Rat Pack when the best and the brightest of M.I.T.'s math students and engineers take up blackjack under the guidance of an eccentric mastermind. Their small blackjack club develops from an experiment in counting cards on M.I.T.'s campus into a ring of card savants with a system for playing large and winning big. In less than two years they take some of the world's most sophisticated casinos for more than three million dollars. But their success also brings with it the formidable ire of casino owners and launches them into the seedy underworld of corporate Vegas with its private investigators and other violent heavies.

Filled with tense action, high stakes, and incredibly close calls, Bringing Down the House is a nail-biting read that chronicles a real-life Ocean's Eleven. It's one story that Vegas does not want you to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:41 -0400)

Recounts the story of how a notorious gang of MIT blackjack savants devised and received backing for a system for winning at the world's most sophisticated casinos, an endeavor that earned them more than three million dollars.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,884,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible