Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of…

by Ben Mezrich

Member:leonardr
Title:Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
Authors:Ben Mezrich
Info:Free Press (2003), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read

Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich

Recently added byprivate library, Unplugging, MayaTripsa, The_Kat_Cache, kesser, Rhinea, amyem58, mfuerst, robjallen
2008 (10) biography (37) blackjack (87) Boston (15) card counting (25) cards (11) casino (11) casinos (16) crime (15) fiction (17) gambling (233) games (25) gaming (9) history (15) Las Vegas (120) mathematics (53) memoir (24) MIT (54) money (11) movie (10) non-fiction (310) poker (21) read (41) sports (7) students (8) to-read (24) true crime (9) true story (13) unread (13) USA (7)

Mezrich has been given an inside look at a world few people will ever know. The world of high-stakes gambling. It's giddy, glitzy, and glamorous as well as kinda scary once you've been "made." Fascinating and fast-paced, the book races along to the inevitable conclusion, in which everybody gets caught, but still leaves the reader with hope that the casinos can be beat, which will probably be great for the gambling industry. I wish I wasn't so bad at math... ( )
  EmScape | May 25, 2014 |
I guess I don't understand why some people are so angry about this book not being "real" in a way that non-fiction is. It is creative non-fiction, which means some of the stuff is stylized to make things a bit more exciting than they may have been. False names, combined characters, non-existent places; it's all a part of the genre. Heck, Hollywood does this every single time they make a "based on a true story" film. Even documentaries do this sometimes (which they should not.) So what's the problem? You started reading a third-person account of Kevin Lewis' life in 1994, down to how sweat was trickling down his neck, and you thought "Oh, this is factual non-fiction for sure!"
Yes, the writing is not the best.
The story is good and the behind-the-scenes aspect is interesting. I assume things have changed a lot in the 21st century. Certainly, the automatic shuffling machines have made a dent in the card counters' income. I certainly learned a lot about the game of blackjack. And how casinos used to be run and how some people just have it made (an upper-middle class family AND the whiz-kid brains to beat the casinos AND the equally well-paying job as consultants and so on.) And for the rest of us, there's the book to read. (And a "based on a true story" Hollywood film. Shocking, I know.) ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
I would have enjoyed the book more without the author inserting himself into the main story. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
For anyone who is lucky enough to have been to Las Vegas, you will understand that this town is unlike any other town on the planet! But when you get past the glitz, the gimmicks, and the amazing sights and sounds, gambling remains at the heart of the place known as Sin City, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that more people lose their hard earned cash than they win!

To continue reading this review please click here: http://stevenscaffardi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/steves-book-reviews-bringing-down-... ( )
  StevenScaffardi | Jun 8, 2013 |
21 (2008IMDb)

#1 National Bestseller!

The amazing inside story about a gambling ring of M.I.T. students who beat the system in Vegas -- and lived to tell how.

Robin Hood meets the Rat Pack when the best and the brightest of M.I.T.'s math students and engineers take up blackjack under the guidance of an eccentric mastermind. Their small blackjack club develops from an experiment in counting cards on M.I.T.'s campus into a ring of card savants with a system for playing large and winning big. In less than two years they take some of the world's most sophisticated casinos for more than three million dollars. But their success also brings with it the formidable ire of casino owners and launches them into the seedy underworld of corporate Vegas with its private investigators and other violent heavies.

Filled with tense action, high stakes, and incredibly close calls, Bringing Down the House is a nail-biting read that chronicles a real-life Ocean's Eleven. It's one story that Vegas does not want you to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:11 -0400)

Recounts the story of how a notorious gang of MIT blackjack savants devised and received backing for a system for winning at the world's most sophisticated casinos, an endeavor that earned them more than three million dollars.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible