They Never Say When by Peter Cheyney

They Never Say When (1944)

by Peter Cheyney

This was one of the Avon’s Murder Mystery Monthly books – “Great thrillers…for only 25¢ each.” Unlike most of my pulps, it takes place in England. Callagan and Nikolls are our two detectives. First they are hired to get back a stolen item, and soon there is a murder. There are also lots of ladies – good ones, bad ones – all beautiful, of course. Nikolls is the one with the swift line for the ladies. He says to Suzanne, “...I like to see you walk. You got something. You don’t walk – you sorta float along, with that little graceful sway – you know what I mean – that some dames would give a million pounds for.” He describes another one of them, “She’s so goddam full of allure that you gotta look at her with blinkers.” It's the number of ladies that causes all the trouble, of course. I found it strange having a book with this tone set in England, not what I'm used to, but I enjoyed it. ( )
  mysterymax | Sep 11, 2016 |
The Crescent & Star, set a quarter of a mile from the main highway, was reached by a winding leafy land that promised adventure at each turn.

CRIME & MYSTERY. Slim Callaghan, private detective, is drawn into a particularly dubious case - even for him. A Mrs Paula Denys says she paid a man to steal the priceless Denys Coronet from her husband's safe. Now the thief won't hand over the goods and is attempting to blackmail her. Callaghan solves the problem for his client but, too late, discovers the luscious Mrs Denys is not all she seems. Callaghan is determined to get to the bottom of it all - and opens some dangerous cans of worms in the process.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,331,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible