Bunnicula by Deborah Howe

Bunnicula

by Deborah Howe, James Howe

Series: Bunnicula (1)

The Celery Stalks at Midnight by James Howe (Jenneth)
    Jenneth: Hey, Conn!!! This is the third in the series i think. very funny! Chester's at it again! And this time Howie's on for the ride. (He's eating the geraniam!!! [or however you spell that]) i remember we cracked up a storm over that one!! i love our inside jokes!! Jiffin… (more)
    The Trouble with Chickens by Doreen Cronin (kaledrina)
    The Norby Chronicles by Janet Asimov (spiphany)
    The Legend of Diamond Lil by Doreen Cronin (kaledrina)

Even after so many years, and many repeated readings, 'Bunnicula' is still a pleasure to read. This wasn't my introduction to Harold and Chester, 'Howliday Inn' has that distinction, but it does set things up nicely for their later adventures and establishes the strange nature of the titular rabbit.

That said, this book is a little too slim to really get into, and just doesn't have enough substance on its own to make a lasting impression. Thankfully, there's loads of sequels, four coming out in time for me to enjoy while still young enough to not care about the nit-picky sort of things that only adults care about in children's books.

The best thing about this book are the illustrations, realistic pen and ink that nevertheless convey the ridiculous expressions on Chester's face as he goes about trying to warn the family of the dangerous tendencies of the newly arrived Bunnicula. I know 'Howliday Inn' had a different illustrator, but I'm too lazy right now to see if that continued. They add the right sense of drama to the story that Harold doesn't quite get right. But that's OK, after all, this is the dog's first book effort. He gets better.

Bunnicula

Next: 'Howliday Inn' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
It has been a very long time since I have read this book, and last week I just read it for the first time in 20 years with my children. I honestly forgot the book entirely. I like that the story is written by the dog, though at the beginning he sounds very intelligent, but later with Chester he doesn't seem very smart at all. I was surprised at how little story/events there are in the book. Some of the words were a little obscure for my 6 and 7 year old, but I like that because that is how you learn them! It wasn't quite as exciting for the girls as say, Junie B. Jones, but they did like that it was about animals. And they like the character Bunnicula himself. ( )
  renardkitsune | Dec 27, 2018 |
It’s an adorable children’s book! Definitely a little dated but still very enjoyable. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
This book, takes you through a mystery about vegetables that have been "bitten" Trying to find out who the biter is allows students to gather information and draw conclusion. This story is fun, engaging, and suspenseful for children ( )
  enemory | Nov 26, 2018 |
A fun book. ( )
  magickislife | Nov 20, 2018 |
Bunnicula is a classic that shows no signs of becoming dated.

Deborah Howeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, Jamesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahern, Mary M.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daniel, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mildred and Lester Smith - with love
I shall never forget the first time I laid these now tired old eyes on our visitor.

AR level 4.2, 2 pts

Harold, the Monroe's dog, tells of Chester the cat's suspicions that the baby rabbit that one of the Monroe boys finds in the movie theater is a vampire.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

Though scoffed at by Harold the dog, Chester the cat tries to warn his human family that their foundling baby bunny must be a vampire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,402,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible