Dead Ground by Chris Amies

Dead Ground

by Chris Amies

1910537,190 (2.2)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Other reviewers have noted the stilted prose, banal plot, and one-note characters. The story idea has potential, and the Polynesian setting is interesting, but the finished product is dull.

NB: This review originally was entered on LT on 3/4/14 and was reentered, without edits, on 8/16/16. ( )
  LibraryPerilous | Aug 16, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There was some great stuff going for this novel - an ancient curse, a historical setting, adventure - but it just dragged a bit in places ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jun 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Got this from LibraryThing Early Reviewers, though I think it was actually originally out in 2002 or so. It's quite a dry story in tone, despite the body count: there's something detached and distant about it. I didn't really feel for any of the characters (and wondered a bit about the whole "going native" theme, and about the choice of white Europeans being used as avatars of these ancient Polynesian gods, instead of, you know, Polynesians).

The most interesting thing was that Polynesian folklore, and that was pretty much what I kept reading for. That is something fresh and different in fantasy, in my experience at least. I think that's pretty much the only thing I'd recommend this book for, though. Otherwise, it just felt bland. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Mar 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as a free review copy. It has taken me so long to finish this book, which is honestly rare. I tried to like it as it contained a number of themes to my taste, especially the 'Body Horror' elements. The story reads like a cross between an old fashioned adventure and a treatise on Polynesian history and folklore. I found the tale strangely bloodless and unengaging especially considering there is great deal of madness, mayhem and blood shed throughout the story.
  Polypsodd | Jan 8, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won an Early Reviewers copy of this book and really thought I would enjoy it based on its supernatural theme. Unfortunately, I had a really hard time just getting through it. The book felt really disjointed, and for the first half I kept wondering if I skipped some pages here or there. I also couldn't really attach to any of the characters, as they were pretty one-dimensional, or would do something so out of character that they were practically schizophrenic. It also felt inconsistent, as if it could have used a good editor - in particular, I was really annoyed by the use/non-use/use/non-use of broken English by the native islanders. The story has a lot of potential, but I just think it could have been much better written. ( )
  akrump | Dec 28, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chris Amies's book Dead Ground was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible