Feeding Christine by Barbara Chepaitis

Feeding Christine

by Barbara Chepaitis

It was a satisfying read. Satisfying enough to earn 4 stars from me. Of course, my rating could have been biased by the fact that the title features my name on it. The girl is named Christine, and she's depressed? Could this be written about me? Kidding aside, I do remember well enough to know that I really liked the book, even though I can't remember every detail. It was a pleasant surprise. A book that ended with all the characters well. (And at the time, I so badly wanted to read something pleasant).

Surely recommended for a quiet,lazy afternoon. ( )
  qquiet | Apr 2, 2013 |

In this deliciously charming novel, Barbara Chepaitis-a new and truly one-of-a-kind voice in women's fiction-skillfully explores the powerful camaraderie shared by four exceptional women. Reminiscent of Like Water for Chocolate and How to Make an American Quilt, this unique tale filled with unforgettable characters has a style all its own. It is a delightful ode to the special unbreakable bond that exists between women-and the crazy things true friends will do to show they care. . . .

Feeding Christine

Teresa DiRosa believes that life, like fine food, is made special by mixing together the best ingredients: time, patience, and a lot of love. Owner of a thriving catering business, Bread and Roses, she has turned the feeding of stomachs and souls into her life's work. Now, with her niece Christine, best friend and bookkeeper Delia, and baker Amberlin, Teresa is gearing up for Bread and Roses' most important event of the year: the annual Christmas open house.

But as Teresa juggles recipes and party decorations, her personal life is spinning out of control. Her divorce is barely final when a handsome acquaintance hints that he'd like to be more than just friends. Her college-age son has broken her heart by choosing to spend Christmas with his father. And her niece Christine, beautiful and artistic, is engaged to marry a prominent psychologist-but seems to be losing her own grip on sanity as her wedding draws closer.

The preparty cooking marathon promises to be filled with the usual chaos and conversation, and Teresa hopes it will be a good time to talk things over with her niece. But she's not prepared when a suicidal Christine arrives at her house-and Teresa is the only one who can save her. The radical steps she takes to stop her niece from killing herself will shock everyone-but with Delia's and Amberlin's help, Teresa feeds Christine a healthy dose of courage, wisdom, and pure friendship . . . all while trying to pull off a grand party for a hundred people.

Witty and warmhearted, Feeding Christine is a testament to the many different kinds of friendship it takes to live a full life-and to the different kinds of wisdom each of us has to share.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:12 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible