The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie

The Cinderella Deal (edition 2010)

by Jennifer Crusie

Member:Larou
Title:The Cinderella Deal
Authors:Jennifer Crusie
Info:Bantam (2010), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:2012-12, Romance

The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie

English (39)  Hungarian (1)  All (40)
I almost never read romance, but when I do it's almost always Jennifer Crusie. She has a way of writing romance without the melodrama, and even when there is angst, it's almost always short lived and smothered in wry humour. The fact that all her characters staunchly defend and rescue animals makes it even easier to fall into her stories; her characters are just so easy to like.

The Cinderella Deal is one that I've had on my shelves for ages, but sort of thought I'd already read. Turns out I hadn't. It's one of her earlier books and one of the simpler plot lines but Crusie is so damn readable I was quickly lost in the story.

What I thought was a beautiful touch was the thread of faith that runs through the narrative. Daisy refuses to take a false vow before God, and when her mother-in-law is ill she gives Linc the Bible to read to her.

Normally I'd be complaining here because I've almost never seen any author weave faith in without brandishing it like a battle axe (my perception is admittedly touchy about this) but Crusie was awesome. First, she never dwelled on it; it was just a part of the narrative in the same nonchalant way Daisy painted the walls. Second, in those few scenes, it was always books from the old testament mentioned, which are just as applicable to Judaism as they are to Christianity. The only reason a reader would assume Daisy is Christian at all is because of the off hand mention of the Bible itself as the source of the reading. I liked the way it was done; it felt sincere, more inclusive, and not at all like flag-waving.

If you like light hearted, easy, entertaining reads, I maintain that you just cannot go wrong with Crusie. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 10, 2017 |
3.5 out of 5 stars! Funny & Sweet! I couldn't put the book down!!

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/03/ooh-baby-i-love-your-way-wanna... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Nov 17, 2016 |
It is simply a very romantic story, i especially love those stories that revolve around a fairytale, and the fact the caracters often tell a once upon a time story that will possibly break at the stroke of midnight makes me simply love the whole concept. But the caracters have put themselves into a very improbable situation though. Who in their sane mind would go through a plot like this? But thats just it, they would not because of being desperate (even if it was in most due to that) but because it was in them to do something like that to fall into such a plot.
This author has never failed to make me laugh over the ridiculous situations she created for her caracters, this one was another success. ( )
  LadyJoana | Apr 9, 2016 |
When a man comes to you for help, what do you do? You aid him of course! For a thousand dollars.
Or at least that was the idea when dear Lincoln Blaise came to ask Daisy Flattery to be his fiancée for a day.
Could this be the start of something real? Or will this fairy tale end after midnight?

It was so obvious. He was everything she was not and vice versa. He is serious, colourless, cold and strict while she is the definition of colour, warmth and intuitive actions.
Meet Daisy Flattery, a woman full of personality, who loves nothing more than to paint. Well maybe she loves animals more, just a tiny bit more that is.
On the other hand there is Lincoln Blaise, Linc. A cold man full of ambition, great plans for his own future and who is in serious trouble. What did he do you may ask? Well what else do you do when you go to a private school, Preston, to apply for a job as a history teacher and your inviewer asks if you are married? Yes, obviously, you say that you have a fiancée. This caused him a bit of trouble thought because, you see, Linc has no fiancée.
While Daisy is in need of cash, Linc is in need of a fiancée and so, if she can be his fiancée for a day, he will give her a thousand dollars. But will this little story end at midnight or will there be a happily ever after?

This was a light and fun read for me.
It's just your typical romance really. Nothing is going on and actually you can already tell at the very beginning what the end will be. However Crusie put it in a way that made me want to read this book, not caring about the fact that I already knew the ending from the very start.
What I liked most about this book was that it had a message: Be yourself.
I'm not going to reveal anything more about this book because if I say anything more I could as well spell it all out for you. But I decided that I liked this book for its simplicity and the way that it draws you into the story.
So if you're looking for something fun and easy to get through; this is a book for you.
  Mybookfile | Mar 15, 2016 |
Audio-(2.5) I have read good and not so good from this author. This one was in the not so good category for me. it just never brought out any real spark in the characters. There was just a slow, mellow walk through a predictable plot with very predictable characters. I waited for that something, funny, shocking, tearjerking and it never came. It was just ok. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Jennifer Crusieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyce, SusanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cassen, MelodyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Homann, IrisÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Gelder, Cheriesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jack Andrew Smith,
a true hero and firefighter, and the best of all possible brothers.
ONE
The storm raged dark outside, the light in the hallway flickered, and Lincoln Blaise cast a broad shadow over the mailboxes, but it didn't matter.

Daisy Flattery is a free spirit with a soft spot for strays and a weakness for a good story. Why else would she agree to the outrageous charade offered by her buttoned-down workaholic neighbor, Linc Blaise? The history professor needs to have a fiancée in order to capture his dream job, and Daisy is game to play the role. But something funny happens on their way to the altar that changes everything. Now, with the midnight hour approaching, will Daisy lose her prince, or will opposites not only attract but live happily ever after?

Daisy Flattery agrees to pose as her neighbor's fiancée to help him get his dream job, but what will she be left with when the charade is over?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,639,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible