Uncle Vanya by Anton Chekhov

Uncle Vanya (1899)

by Anton Chekhov

Recently added byHamburgerclan, private library, Irena., paolotrincacolonel, Solo-Star, Hanno, robertgsimon, cebellol
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
I related to this at at least nine broadly related points (the wasted life, the tragic ridiculousness of the old man who can't catch up with the fact that old he is, the feeling of universal decline emerging from one's own decline, how watching other people laugh and cry makes you laugh and cry for maybe motor neuron reasons, how very very hard it is to walk away from someone you KNOW is gonna kiss you for the second time ever, how sad it is to be smart and unaccomplished and peevish, how it's all a fuckin dumb waste man, etc., etc.), and yet it still didn't really compare to Three Sisters on any level really for me, showing the superiority of art over life I guess. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Jan 4, 2014 |
I read this for a LAMDA exam, and to be honest the reason I did not enjoy it was probably due to the amount of times I had to go through one scene, but it's put me off of reading any more Chekov =/ ( )
  Rinnreads | Sep 24, 2013 |
After everything I read, I love to read some Chekhov. It's a great palate cleanser and never fails to pick me up. He is one of the best, great author of both drama and short stories. This melancholy play describes Vanya's sense of "the wasted life." Chekhov's understanding of regret is deep, which is remarkable considering both his achievements and the brevity of his life. ( )
  kishields | May 15, 2013 |
Saw. ( )
  ErinHorakova | Apr 8, 2013 |
Saw. ( )
  ErinHorakova | Apr 8, 2013 |

Anton Chekhovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mamet, DavidAdaptersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright David Mamet’s Uncle Vanya is a sparkling restoration of a masterpiece of the modern stage, marked by Mamet’s finely tuned ear for dialogue and memorable poetic imagery.

In "Uncle Vanya," a retired professor and his beautiful young wife return to the country estate left by his deceased first wife to find themselves overwhelmed by the stagnant inevitability of the rituals of their life and class, and mercilessly taxed by the encroachment of age at the expense of youth. All of the play’s characters are plunged into that precarious state where, in Beckett’s words, “the boredom of living is replaced by the suffering of being.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:54 -0400)

Chekhov's tragicomedy, replete with the kinds of characters we have come to know as "Chekhovian, " incorporates unrequited loves and a murder plot while exploring the social roles of women and the notion of progress. Curt Columbus's splendid new translation and adaptation underscores the contemporary relevance of this prophetic play.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible