Gray Matter by Shirley Kennett

Gray Matter

by Shirley Kennett

This is my kind of book! It had a believable serial killer with major issues from his past. The thread about the VR program helping in solving crimes is an interesting idea. PJ is determined that it will work and has a small team consisting of Detective Leo Schultz and his 2 assistance to make a go of it. Leo is a very real character who has a body that is aging but does not want to even consider retirement.
Diane ( )
  Diane_K | Jul 14, 2015 |
After her divorce, PJ Gray and her son,Thomas, move to St Louis where she is to set up the new computer homicide unit. Unfortunately, her son is angry about the divorce, her new partner is a chauvinist and luddite, and, worse, even before she is set up, there is a vicious new serial killer in St Louis. Her boss makes it clear that this will be a test and, if PJ can't prove the value of her new unit, she might want to look elsewhere for work.

Gray Matter makes for an interesting thriller. Gray and her partner, Schultz work well together and Pauley Mac is a serial killer with brains - unfortunately, they originally belonged to his victims (sorry, couldn't resist the bad pun). My one problem with the story (and I'll admit is is an unfair one) is its age. Written in 1996, the technology used in Gray's unit was probably cutting edge. Unfortunately, it now dates the story.

Still, if you like thrillers with gruesome serial killers and smart female protagonists, just ignore the out-dated tech stuff, sit back and enjoy the ride. I guarantee it's a bumpy one. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Jan 14, 2013 |
Wow! I thought the premise sounded OK and figured this would be a book I'd dip into on occasion, when I didn't have other things to do. Instead, I find myself compulsively turning the pages and can't wait to see what happens next! Kennett does a good job with both characterization and plot, although there are a few problems. She occasionally veers into romance-talk, when describing the clothes a character wears, or how she feels about meeting a new many (any man, really). A few of the character interactions seem a bit off-kilter. She continually has problems with her son -- but he somehow decides that she's a better parent than her ex-husband. Her house is broken into and trashed -- but this seems to never bother her again, or even come up as a plot device. On the other hand, I'm motivated to see about getting this for our library, and reading the others in the series. Nice job! ( )
  GoThouGeekly | Dec 1, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786003898, Mass Market Paperback)

When a celebrated concert pianist turns up murdered, decapitated and with his head still missing, psychologist and single mother PJ Gray, creator of a crime-solving, virtual reality program, joins forces with veteran homicide detective Leo Schultz to find the anonymous killer. Reprint. K. PW.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:35 -0400)

In St. Louis, a serial killer is eating his victims' brains to acquire their skills. Psychologist Jessica Gray gets called by the police who have set up a virtual reality program that recreates a crime by placing the user in the mind of the perpetrator.… (more)

Dakota Banks is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible