The Dead Emcee Scrolls: The Lost Teachings…

The Dead Emcee Scrolls: The Lost Teachings of Hip-Hop

by Saul Williams

Although more “preachy” than his previous collections of hip-hop poetry, Saul Williams’ The Dead Emcee Scrolls: The Lost Teaching of Hip-Hop is a smart and satisfying collection from a talented artist. Williams uses the fictional premise of finding so-called lost scrolls of hip-hop teachings as the background for this latest collection. The poems, which fluctuate between “gangsta” descriptions and media criticisms, offer new readers a good introduction to Williams’ writing. The book’s additional collection of journal entries by Willaims offer some insight into the hip-hop creative mind. Not so much entertaining as it is “interesting,” The Dead Emcee Scrolls is a unique read. Also recommend S. Williams’ Said the Shotgun to the Head (2003). ( )
  Dalmlis1 | Mar 6, 2011 |
I must admit, I like Saul Williams performances better than his books. The same words on a page seem to lose their life somehow. Still, the concept of this book is awesome: Saul claims to have found scrolls of ancient poetry written in a language that he eventually deciphers through a magical sort of vision. It is these poems that he credits with his rise in the Slam Poetry world and many of them will be familiar to anyone who has listened to his cds. ( )
  TinuvielDancing | Jan 19, 2010 |
I had trouble connecting with this work until I stopped trying to make sense of the words on the page and, instead, started hearing Saul's voice delivering this message in my mind, with his distinct rhythm and inflection and flow. Then it became magic. ( )
  emmmilyd | Dec 30, 2009 |
Absolutely worthwhile, mystical, and fun. The language-play here is touching and memorable, with ideas/poems worth considering and rereading. Performers and readers alike should read this work; you can almost hear Williams' voice vibrating off of the pages and spiriting these poems into place. As a whole, the book isn't for every reader, but I also firmly believe that there's something here for everyone---every time I reread the words here, I see the work differently, and I don't believe that will ever change. For that alone, I have to recommend this work--it's something quite unlike anything else. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jun 7, 2007 |
Never has hip-hop seemed so mystical. ( )
  tmamone | Oct 26, 2006 |

Presents a collection of darkly humorous poetic works that encompass a man's discovery of an ancient scroll hidden beneath a graffiti masterpiece in an abandoned subway line, a finding that gives way to a surprising message.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible