Young Extraterrestrials by Isaac Asimov

Young Extraterrestrials (1984)

by Isaac Asimov (Editor), Martin H. Greenberg (Editor), Charles G. Waugh (Editor)

Other authors: Piers Anthony (Contributor), Lloyd Biggle Jr (Contributor), J. F. Bone (Contributor), James E. Gunn (Contributor), Zenna Henderson (Contributor)6 more, Edward D. Hoch (Contributor), R. A, Lafferty (Contributor), Keith Laumer (Contributor), Murray Leinster (Contributor), Frank Belknap Long (Contributor), Eric Frank Russell (Contributor)

Series: Young Anthology (1)

I thoroughly enjoyed this book when I first read it when I was young. In rereading it again as an adult, I'm even more impressed with how very good these stories are.

Some are better than others, of course, but even the stories that I can't quite call my favorites are very well written and quite worth the read. Most of the stories had lingered in my memory, but one passage in particular remained quite clear:

[passage moved off-site for more flexible HTML formatting]

My favorite stories from this anthology include: "Doorstep" by Keith Laumer, wherein the last line of the story is hinged the entire profound; "The Witness" by Eric Frank Russell, partly because of 'No! You don't mean to say they had minds of their own!'; "Primary Education of the Camiroi" by R.A. Lafferty, who obviously had entirely too much fun writing it; "Zoo" by Edward D. Hoch, with the classically-scifi application of ellipses to the ending; and "Subcommittee" by Zenna Henderson, for sheer vivid imagery and depth of underlying implications.

It hadn't struck me when I first read this book how old the stories were. I had taken them as modern 90s creations because I had first read them in the early 90s, but the anthology was printed in the early 80s and the stories themselves were first published in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. This means that these stories were selected for this anthology because they were the editors' best and favorite of all that fit with this anthology theme; they weren't written specifically to be printed in this anthology. I think it's given the quality of the anthology a heft it wouldn't have had otherwise. And I also want to track down the other five books in Asimov's Young anthology set and see if the stories in those books are as good as the stories in this one. ( )
  MyriadBooks | Jun 5, 2010 |

Leinster, MurrayContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Long, Frank BelknapContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Russell, Eric FrankContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Variant Titles: Asimov's Extraterrestrials (0583309860) and Extraterrestrials (0694056286) with Martin H. Greenberg and Charles G. Waugh

Collection of short stories by a variety of authors about young extraterrestrial beings.

"Doorstep" by Keith Laumer: UFOs are often described as flying saucers; however, their shapes also resemble eggs.

"Who's On First" by Lloyd Biggle, Jr.: If the children are this good, think of the adults.

"In the Jaws of Danger" by Piers Anthony: Dentistry has all manner of unexpected perils.

"The Witness" by Eric Frank Russell: It makes a bit of difference if the court knows the intent of the defendant. And the gender. And the age.

"The Mississippi Saucer" by Frank Belknap Long: There is a reason why salmon return to a certain place to spawn.

"Primary Education of the Camiroi" by R.A. Lafferty: The committee recommends that certain changes be made in light of this comparison.

"Tween" by J.F. Bone: Evolution's taken steps to ensure that opposites attract.

"Zoo" by Edward D. Hoch: This zookeeper is making money hand over fist.

"Subcommittee" by Zenna Henderson: In the midst of peace negotiations between two species, it sometimes helps to cut to the chase.

"Keyhole" by Murray Leinster: Who's teaching whom?

"Kindergarten" by James E. Gunn: A theory to explain why Earth is a little confusing.

A collection of short stories by a variety of authors about young extraterrestrial begins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible