As the Waltz Was Ending by Emma MacAlik…

As the Waltz Was Ending (edition 1991)

by Emma MacAlik Butterworth

Member:aktakukac
Title:As the Waltz Was Ending
Authors:Emma MacAlik Butterworth
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1991), Paperback, 262 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Austria, ballet, historical fiction, Holocaust, memoir, read, read in 2012, Vienna, WWII, YA

As the Waltz Was Ending by Emma Macalik Butterworth

I give this book 5 stars. It is one of the books that I read over and over. It is about a young girl who wants to become a ballerina and she is growing up the Holocaust. In some ways ballet is an outlet for her to forget all that is going on in the outside world. It also in some ways helps her family survive because she gets better rations that normal people. She struggles with having to find other ways to make money for her family and at one point she is kidnapped and raped. She has to try to survive all the horrors of the war. This is based on a true story of the author's life. ( )
  MelanieBettyBoop | Jan 31, 2011 |
I love this book.I read this book 17 yrs ago.Still today the book is vivid in my mind. ( )
  vancaner | Apr 28, 2009 |
This is my all-time favorite book. I found it in my 7th grade reading teacher's classroom. Then I kiddnapped it. (I left some books for her don't worry!)
  flying_star_360 | Aug 8, 2007 |

An autobiographical account of a young girl whose ballet career with the Vienna State Opera was interrupted by the invasion of the Nazis and who later had to fight for her life during the Russian occupation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible