The Perfect Husband by Lisa Gardner

The Perfect Husband

by Lisa Gardner

Very disappointing book. This is because the book tends to focus more on J.T., the mercenary who Tess goes to for self-defense training, than it does on Tess and her recently escaped serial killer ex-husband.

J.T. is crude, rude, and a very unlikable character. He’s tortured by his past and full of self-pity and he’s constantly thinking of - his abusive father, the colonel - his sister Marion, who he feels he didn’t protect from the colonel - his dead wife and kid. When he’s not thinking about them, it’s about how much he wants his next drink so he can fall into a drunken stupor and forget about his miserable life.

This book is more like a depressing dysfunctional family drama (J.T.’s family) than the suspense book I thought it would be. The FBI manhunt that is alluded to on the back cover blurb is barely even there, and the little that is there is just too far-fetched. This book was too slow-moving and it could have used more action and suspense than it provided. ( )
  PaulaLT | Jan 18, 2016 |
Theresa Matthews met and married Jim Beckett thinking he was everything she'd ever dreamed of. But after becoming pregnant she learns that her perfect husband is hiding a horrific secret. Two years after Tess helps get Jim locked up for the serial murders of ten women, she thinks she and her child are safe. But Jim escapes from his maximum security prison and pledges revenge on his wife. Tess puts her daughter in police protection and then sets out on her own. She believes the time has come to stop running and start fighting for her life, so she turns to the burnt out ex-marine J.T. Dillon for fighting lessons. J.T. has his own demons, and he doesn't want the responsibility of protecting Tess. Battling his way through a horrible childhood, J.T. came out scarred. He knew that he didn't protect his younger sister, Marion, from their father and suffers extreme depression over the loss of his wife and child, the only people he cared for. Now, after two weeks training with Tess, J.T. knows that he cannot lose another woman he's come to care for.

I found the concept for this story to have a lot of potential but it's obvious this was one of the first books ever written by Lisa Gardner. Normally I like them much better than this one. I found the relationship between Tess and J.T. to be pretty shallow and awkwardly written. It didn't make sense to me that a woman with a background of violence in relationships would be attracted to a hot-headed, drunken, and seemingly violent man. The characters were not developed enough for me to care too much about them. To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of romantic suspense.....I like a grittier style of mystery. I think many people will enjoy it more than I did. Lisa Gardner does write some really good books and I've enjoyed her D.D. Warren series quite a bit. Like many early books, Gardner has gotten a lot better with time.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Hint: there are no perfect husbands in this book. Come to think of it, Rainie doesn't appear in this book either. And Quincy is little more than a bit part. Here is what I did find in this novel: great plot, chilling thrills, and a desire to read more Lisa Gardner. That's plenty. ( )
1 vote bsiemens | Jun 1, 2015 |
I could barely sleep last night, because is couldn't wait till morning to finish this book. What a thriller! This would make a great movie. ( )
1 vote sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |

Lisa Gardnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wydra, JenniferReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kruik, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first time he saw her, he simply knew.

What would you do if the man of your dreams hides the soul of a killer?

Jim Beckett was everything she'd ever dreamed of...But two years after Tess married the decorated cop and bore his child, she helped put him behind bars for savagely murdering ten women. Even locked up in a maximum security prison, he vowed he would come after her and make her pay. Now the cunning killer has escaped—and the most dangerous game of all begins....

After a lifetime of fear, Tess will do something she's never done before. She's going to learn to protect her daughter and fight back, with the help of a burned-out ex-marine. As the largest manhunt four states have ever seen mobilizes to catch Beckett, the clock winds down to the terrifying reunion between husband and wife. And Tess knows that this time, her only choices are to kill—or be killed.

Lisa Gardner sold her first novel when she was 20 years old. In 1993 she graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in international relations. She lives in Rhode Island, where she is at work on her next novel of suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:01 -0400)

Two years after their wedding, Tess helps put her husband behind bars for savagely murdering ten women. Now he has escaped, and Tess knows he will seek revenge, and so she teams with burned-out ex-marine and FBI profiler Pierce Quincy to catch him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,793,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible