The Perfect Husband by Lisa Gardner

The Perfect Husband

by Lisa Gardner

I really liked this book a lot. It was exciting and suspenseful and a roller coaster ride of emotions. It's supposed to be 1st in a series about Quincy and Raines. Quincy is an FBI agent and we get to know him a little bit, no Raines though. I look forward to reading the next book and getting to know them. ( )
  Barb_H | Nov 29, 2013 |
This is the first Lisa Gardner book I've read and I'm delighted that she's written so many more, because I'm addicted. The suspense never ends and keeps you enthralled all the way through. The plot is thick with heart-poundingly tense twists and turns and you just don't want to put this book down! Lisa Gardner definitely ranks amongst one of my favourite authors now. ( )
  Frederika.Roberts | Nov 21, 2013 |
This was my first foray into romantic suspense, and even though the romance wasn't quite to my taste, this still made for an entertaining and very fast read that would appeal to both romance fans (provided they don't mind a heavy dose of violence, sex, and language), and suspense fans (provided they don't mind the romance angle).

The story centers around Tess, who marries a charming police officer named Jim Beckett. Two years into the marriage, however, Tess discovers that Jim is a sadistic serial killer who has murdered ten women. She has Jim arrested, but not before he attacks her. Now, several years later, she learns that Jim has escaped from prison to find her.

Most people in Tess's position would go straight to the police, but because Jim Beckett is an ex-cop, and because he managed to get past the cops before, Tess decides on a different strategy...she decides to fight back. With the reluctant help of J.T. Dillon, an ex-Marine, she learns to defend herself. But the whole time, Jim is planning his ambush...

Even though the plot centers around Tess, the story is told from the perspective of multiple characters, the two main ones being Tess and J.T. But through this multiple perspective approach, we learn a lot about the characters and their back stories, and the suspense increases dramatically, especially when we get inside the head of Jim Beckett.

And, of course, we have the romantic attraction between Tess and J.T. As I mentioned before, I wasn't a fan of the romantic angle, but that's just a personal preference of mine. At any rate, the romance wasn���t excessive, so it didn���t detract too much from the rest of the story, and it did provide some interesting insights into the characters.

For me, the story���s biggest strength was in the suspense it created, and the plot twists introduced in the last half of the book. By letting the reader inside Jim Beckett���s head, we know more than any of the rest of the characters, and we get a better sense of his razor-sharp intelligence, making him an even more terrifying villain. This is a classic example of the page turner ��� you���re sure to blast through this one within a few days.

Readalikes: Catherine Coulter, Tami Hoag, Sandra Brown, Julie Garwood are all popular romantic suspense authors who write thrilling stories with strong female protagonists. For less of a romantic suspense angle, try Harlan Coben, who also writes well-plotted suspense stories with intriguing characters and accurate forensic details.

coloradogirl14 | Nov 21, 2013 |
Book by Lisa Gardner: 3 stars. The story shows its age (1997). The secondary story between Marion and J.T. is creepy; are they siblings or lovers?

Audiobook Narration by Jennifer Wydra: 1/2 star. Horrible. She never maintained a consistent voice for Tess, the main character. Sometimes southern drawl, sometimes northeastern tough, sometimes midwestern twang, sometimes no dialect at all. She was down right painful to listen to. Ugh. ( )
  Conkie | Nov 14, 2013 |
First book in the Quincy-Rainie series. The main characters are Theresa (Tess) Williams and J.T. Dillon.

Strong read from Gardner, like usual. There's thought and research in the characters and settings and situations. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |

Lisa Gardnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wydra, JenniferReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kruik, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first time he saw her, he simply knew.

What would you do if the man of your dreams hides the soul of a killer?

Jim Beckett was everything she'd ever dreamed of...But two years after Tess married the decorated cop and bore his child, she helped put him behind bars for savagely murdering ten women. Even locked up in a maximum security prison, he vowed he would come after her and make her pay. Now the cunning killer has escaped—and the most dangerous game of all begins....

After a lifetime of fear, Tess will do something she's never done before. She's going to learn to protect her daughter and fight back, with the help of a burned-out ex-marine. As the largest manhunt four states have ever seen mobilizes to catch Beckett, the clock winds down to the terrifying reunion between husband and wife. And Tess knows that this time, her only choices are to kill—or be killed.

Lisa Gardner sold her first novel when she was 20 years old. In 1993 she graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in international relations. She lives in Rhode Island, where she is at work on her next novel of suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:27 -0400)

Two years after their wedding, Tess helps put her husband behind bars for savagely murdering ten women. Now he has escaped, and Tess knows he will seek revenge, and so she teams with burned-out ex-marine and FBI profiler Pierce Quincy to catch him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible