Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

Summary:

This children’s picture book is about learning animals and their colors in a fun and educational way. There is repetition in this book that helps grown the audiences knowledge and begins the process of reading in a memorization form. A brown bear as another animal what they see, and that animal asks the next until the final answer is what do you see, I see the children looking at me because the audience would be the students in a classroom glancing at each page.

Personal Opinion:

This book is a wonderful tool to help younger students learn their colors, animals and eventually memorize the story line so they too can start the “read”. Educational books are great additions to children’s classrooms to help advance their knowledge and understanding of certain material.

Class Extension Ideas
1. Depending on grade level you can put on a skit of all the animals going in order of the book. The students could be the bear, bird and all the animals and once their turn comes up they read their line and the next person is to appear and read their line until the students have been the ones to tell the story.
2. You could also use this book as a learning tool on learning your colors and animals. You could make print outs of the animals with multiple colors and have the students pick out the one that should be in the book with the correct color. Or make print outs of the animals with no colors and a separate pile of color printouts and read out a color and have them search through the pile to find the one asked for. Than switch it up and have them pick a color and an animal that way they are learning both concepts. It’s a great example of getting the students engaged in the activity at hand.
  haleycurry1 | Aug 30, 2015 |
Summary: This book is called Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. This is a children's literature favorite. This book is a book to learn colors and learn about different animals, also sounding out words.

Personal Reaction: This book is a classic. I loved reading this as a kid. This picture's were a spin on the animals. The colors were vibrant and also its a great book to help your child sound out letters.

Classroom extension:
1. ) A class could draw pictures of the animals that they seen in this book.
2.) The class can act out the different type of animals in a play, they can make the book come to life.
  Shelbymac2 | Jul 8, 2015 |
This is a great example of a picture book with repetition, which will help young students easily identify words and phrases. Great for read alongs. ( )
  Lynchd | Jul 6, 2015 |
good to help children with learning their colors by using the different pictures throughout the book. good for pre-k classes.
  bmm034 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This book has wonderful worth as a read-aloud teaching the sequence of events to young readers. It's illustrations are colorful and beautiful as well. ( )
  Kdd026 | Apr 30, 2015 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,170,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible