Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

I love this book mainly because of Eric Carle's illustrations, which are very colorful and therefore captivating. The use of interesting pictures draws the reader in and allows them to follow along with the story of each animal seeing another animal on the following page. The purpose of this book is to teach young students about patterns and colors. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Oct 8, 2015 |
In my opinion this is an excellent book. The author chose an interesting concept when writing this book, combining repetitive text that allows the reader to interpret what is going to have next and basic colors. This creative writing allows for emerging readers to participate in the reading process, which is often difficult for them to do. The reading process includes making predictions as well as being able to comprehend the story. The most interesting part of the book is at the end where the teacher asks the students to recall the animals that were discussed previously. “Children, children what do you see? We see a brown bear, a red bird, a yellow duck, a blue horse, a green frog, a purple cat, a white dog, a black sheep, a gold fish, and a teacher looking at us. That’s what we see.” I think this engaging writing intertwined with a patterned language makes the reading process easier and more enjoyable for emerging readers. Additionally, the illustrations connect directly to the words, which allows the reader to “read the pictures”. By that I mean if the reader cannot read yet, he or she will get the sense of the pattern and be able to read the book by him or her by merely looking at the pictures. This will help to build confidence in the reader. This is evident on the page, which the brown bear is illustrated. The book reads “Brown bear brown bear, what do you see?” Overall, I do not think this book has a overall message. I think what makes this book great is that the main idea of this book is to get emergent readers to discover patterns in a book, and use illustrations to help them read. ( )
  eyork1 | Oct 7, 2015 |
I liked this book. I think young readers will enjoy this book a lot. The simplicity of the text makes the story easy to read and understand. I like that the book also has a little bit of sequencing at the end. The beautiful illustrations also play a huge role in this book and contribute to why I like the book. The illustrations are creative, fun, and grab the readers attention. Overall, I think this book's simplicity in illustrations and text help create a charming feel. Since the book is so simple and doesn't really have a big story line, the idea of the book is to get readers to begin reading. I wouldn't say there is a huge moral of the story. ( )
  lmorte1 | Oct 7, 2015 |
I really like this book. I like this book because of the illustrations. The pictures are so colorful and vibrant and how each animal is a different color. I also like how the pictures are not your usual drawings, it is made to look like a child colored in the book and I think children like that and the colors. Another reason why I like this book is because of the language. The language is made to challenge students on rhyming and new vocabulary but it also helps with animals and colors. I love how the book is so unpredictable, no one who is reading the book will except to see a purple cat. I think the main idea of this book is to really help the students get a jump start into reading. ( )
  athomp33 | Oct 6, 2015 |
I love this book. This book is very fun and engaging for the reader. I love how this book is incorporating different animals and colors. Even though there are no blue horses in real life, readers still get to practice saying their colors and animals. I also loved how at the end of the book, the teacher and children are asked what they see. This book has a lot of repetition, which helps with the flow of the story. Being a pattern book, young readers are able to join in reading on each page when it says, “what do you see?” At the very end of the book, the author asks the children what they see. This is where the reader can retell every color and animal they saw. I think the purpose of this book was to help readers, mainly young readers, get familiar with colors and animals. There are a lot of repetitions and is perfect for coral reading. ( )
  Jvoorh1 | Oct 6, 2015 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,789,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible