Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

This is my 2 1/2 year old's favorite book for the past year. It seems that not only do we read it numerous times a day, but now that he has its catchy little phrases memorized as he can "read" it himself as he turns the pages. He loves the colors and especially the discussions we have about the various animals, their sounds, and their looks. Anyone with a young toddler should have this book! ( )
  KMClark | Jul 15, 2014 |
This classic book from Bill Martin, Jr. and Eric Carle is always a hit amongst the preschooler set. With simple language presented in a sing-song way coupled with Carle's distinctive illustrations, this book is engaging and entertaining. I particularly like this edition as it ends with some simple activities for kids, such as identifying the color swatch or where the different animals live (i.e., land versus water). ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jul 11, 2014 |
Summary:
This story starts out with a brown bear asking other animals what they see. The story repeats itself with the type of animal that is talking, for example brown bear brown bear, or red bird red bird. The animals go through asking eachother what animal and what color of animal that they see. At the end of the story the goldfish see's a teacher and the teacher see's the children. Then the children are asked what they see and then the named off every animal all the way back to the brown bear.

Personal Experience:
I have always enjoyed reading this book to my children, and as a kid. This book is fun to read with any children because they can interact and answer the question of what is being seen. I love the classic looking pictures in the book and bright colors.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I would make copies of all the animals and the colors that they are and put them on popcicle sticks. Then I would let the children hold the animals and while I read the story aloud have them hold up their animal at the appropriate time of the story.
2. I could have my students come up with different colored animals to recreate the story. ( )
  shelby22 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Colorful rhyming book for young children with creative collage illustrations ( )
  root.katy | Jun 9, 2014 |
Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?, is a book about a bear who sees various animals around. Each animals makes a different sound and the story ends with children at a zoo looking at the bear.
  Shoshanabrmsn | Jun 5, 2014 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible