Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

5,150None865 (4.27)44
animals (736) bear (93) bears (204) board book (282) Carle (30) children (117) children's (184) children's book (25) children's books (29) children's literature (51) classic (39) color (79) colors (681) Eric Carle (216) fantasy (34) fiction (188) kids (39) patterns (44) picture (32) picture book (370) poetry (58) preschool (29) repetition (215) repetitive (27) rhyme (157) rhymes (29) rhyming (136) senses (47) sight (42) toddler (37)
    Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.

This is a wonderful book for emergent readers. It has wonderful pictures to accompany the text. It is repetitive in form and allows the emergent reader to become familar with the format of book to read with ease.
  CassieWells | Apr 15, 2014 |
The first time I read this book, I went, “Why is a fox purple, and a horse blue?” Doesn’t that give an incorrect picture to a child? How so ‘adultish’ of me!
And then I realized, “The illustrations are for the eyes of a child, from the eyes of a child.” And I’m sure a child can relate to Eric Carle’s illustration style because there are no restrictions forced by reality and no boundaries to a child’s imagination. In a few years, the child will learn that there are no purple foxes or blue horses. But for now, a fox can be purple and a horse can be blue. For, that is the very essence of Eric Carle’s books.
Colorful, free-in-spirit illustrations.

This is a good ‘Say what’s next’ book that you can read with your toddler, great for kids to see ‘colorful’ animals, learn, and say their names.. After a few reads, the kids memorize what’s on the following page. Towards the end however, beginning language learners would need to be explained the difference between ‘I see’ and ‘We see’-singular vs plural.

Reviewed by: http://www.taletrove.com ( )
  taletrove | Apr 10, 2014 |
Brown Bear, Brown Bear is a cute book that is great for the classroom. I remember reading this book as kid. The pictures are great and really pop on the white background. The book is an easy concept book that rhymes and has the big idea of learning colors. The book is repetitive and fun for young kids to read aloud and learn from. ( )
  mderob1 | Mar 18, 2014 |
I liked this book because it is a good way for younger children to begin to identifying colors and animals. The pictures are very clear, and the color of the animal is always stated with its name. When the author says “Brown Bear” or “Red Bird” it is teaching the child the color brown or red and the animal bear or bird. Also, the way the story is written, it is very repetitive. This is another reason why it is great for young children. Every page follows the same pattern, the color and the animal are stated twice and then the question “What do you see?” The big idea of this story is to simply help children to learn to identify colors and animals. ( )
  jsanfi1 | Mar 17, 2014 |
Note: I read the Kindle edition.

I chose to read this book in digital format because I was curious to see how the artwork and book structure could be adapted to a digital device. Obviously, users with black-and-white-only Kindles will not be able to engage with this book. One must have a Kindle Fire or Kindle iPad app to see the colors -- a key component of the story! Using a device capable of displaying color, readers will enjoy the same classic Eric Carle style artwork. Overall, I would recommend this book format for people who are committed to having books in digital format. However, given the target audience's age, very young children will benefit from the tactile features of a physical book. Additionally, this format may be challenging to use in a group setting. Librarians or educators may prefer sharing this book in "big book" form for maximum visibility. ( )
  aeisen9 | Mar 17, 2014 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,506,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible