Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

Lindsey Johnson

Book # 8

Genre-
Poetry

Book Summary: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? I see a red bird looking at me. This book teaches about color and animal recognition all at the same time. The readers will first see a Brown Bear, followed by a Red bird, Yellow duck, Blue horse, Green frog, Purple cat, White dog, Black sheep, and Gold fish. This book’s predicable text and rhyming words make it easy for students to understand what they’re reading. I have never found a student who didn’t love this book.

Personal Reaction: These have always been some of my favorite books. I have bought all of these for my son. I love the illustrations as well as the rhyming words. I love that my son gets excited that he thinks he can read but really he is just looking at the awesome illustrations of the different colors and animals.

Extension Activities:
1. Discuss what we see around the room using colors and objects.
2. We could also discuss what the word rhyming means and think of rhyming words.
  LindseyJohnson | Apr 10, 2015 |
This is a great book for younger students and I have enjoyed reading this book for many years. The main idea of this story is to show different animals and what they see. I liked the story because it can teach young students different colors and animals. The illustrations in the story are also very interesting and detailed, young children are engaged by the creative illustrations. The book's story line does not stray from naming animals and colors, the repetitious pattern keeps children of young ages engaged and wondering what is going to come next. ( )
  cwierz2 | Apr 7, 2015 |
I really like this book for teaching students colors, descriptive words, and poetry It is a very simple and basic book that has beautiful illustrations. It also teaches rhythm by repeating "Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?' It also is very simple and basic. It provides the description and picture of the animal to match the description.
  bmille16 | Apr 2, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, even though I read it multiple times. I believe it is a great children’s book for many reasons. First, the writing of the story is great for young readers who are just beginning to learn their letters and sounds. The book is written using repetition and rhyming which will allow the students to comprehend the text and pick it up quickly. As a child, I loved this book because I was able to pick it up so quickly, and recite the words back to my mom. The characters, or animals, are described great through the illustrations and the text. The way the characters flow with the story, as in they are a brown bear, looking at a red bird, and then the reader begins reading about a red bird is amazing. This will guide children in the understanding of the story. It also can assist children because the words will stick in their heads and they will be able to predict what animal will be next. I do not think this story had a main idea but it does teach children about identifying animals and their colors. ( )
  Sberma5 | Mar 31, 2015 |
This is a great book for younger students and I have enjoyed reading this book for many years. The main idea of this story is to show different animals and what they see. I liked the story because it can teach young students different colors and animals. I am also a huge fan of the illustrations in the story. Although the book's story line does not stray from naming animals and colors, the repetitious pattern keeps children of young ages engaged and wondering what is going to come next. All in all, this book is a timeless classic and a read that children will remember for years to come. ( )
  ajohns75 | Mar 12, 2015 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,566,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible