Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

English (529)  Spanish (1)  All (530)
This book is equipped with catching illustrations. Children love this classic as many of the read along with the adult or fill in as you say, "I see a___________(yellow duck),,,,looking at me." ( )
  slj239 | Jul 20, 2017 |
Brown bear is a story that has been around for ages but it is still a classic. The rhyme scheme of the story is very catching. It teaches color as well as animals. The book is uniquely illustated. I would recommend this book for children PreK-K. ( )
  SonyaHSH | Jul 19, 2017 |
Summary- This is a book about a brown bear who sees many animals looking at him. The animals are also all different kinds of colors and when the bear sees them he states what animal it is and also what color the animal is.

Personal reaction- This book is a great book for kids because it has repetition and the excitement for kids to wonder what animal will be seen next. I liked how each animal was a fun color. i really enjoyed this book.

Classroom extension ideas-
1. I could use this book to talk about the different animals in the book. All of the children can pick and animal and try to act like that animal.
2. The book repeats the lines 'brown bear, brown bear what do you see?". That would be a great line to have all of the kids say along with me.
  John.Gonzalez | Jul 13, 2017 |
This is a well-illustrated book about a bear and what it sees. This could be a good interactive book for young children as well. I enjoy using this as a read aloud, because the illustrations and text is great to present. ( )
  TarynNicole | May 10, 2017 |
This book is a classic and perfect for young readers. The images are colorful and appealing to the young eye. It teaches rhyming and repetition. About mid way through the book the students should be able to catch on and read the book with the reader. There are an endless amount of extension activities that can go along with this story. Something as simple as coloring their favorite animal would be fun for young students. ( )
  augustaspors | May 8, 2017 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionscalculated
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,190,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible