Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Bill Martin, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:kaylekatzung
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader
Authors:Bill Martin
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:picture book, repetition

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Jr. Bill Martin (1967)

Recently added byjenmarie10, mcarrollfr, private library, Sberma5, mayajoyk, AngelaHernandez, alycombs, KTQ, kirkham, 826NYC
    Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

This is a great book for younger students and I have enjoyed reading this book for many years. The main idea of this story is to show different animals and what they see. I liked the story because it can teach young students different colors and animals. I am also a huge fan of the illustrations in the story. Although the book's story line does not stray from naming animals and colors, the repetitious pattern keeps children of young ages engaged and wondering what is going to come next. All in all, this book is a timeless classic and a read that children will remember for years to come. ( )
  ajohns75 | Mar 12, 2015 |
There are different animals with different colors. Kids love to reenact this classic read aloud and then make their own animal and color to add to the story.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
I like this book for a few reasons. The illustrations are consistent and visually appealing like Carle's other illustrations. The point of view is from many different animals. The writing is a little repetitive, but it is helpful for children to recognize sight words. The overall message of the book is that everyone meets and sees things in different ways. ( )
  mzellh1 | Mar 5, 2015 |
I read this book to my two year olds at work and they love it. It has repetition in it which is a good literary element for the young ones to be introduced to. It is also great for predicting because you can have the students predict what will happen on the following page. It also teaches children about the different animals. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Mar 3, 2015 |
I liked this book for two reasons. Firstly, I enjoy the fact that the text is written in a way that it can be read or sung. It's very repetitive and this provides a nice flow and pace. Secondly, I really like the way that Eric Carle illustrates because the pictures are unique and truly enhance the story. I believe that the main idea is to teach children animal names and different colors. ( )
  rsochu1 | Feb 25, 2015 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,289,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible