Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Bill Martin, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:kaylekatzung
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader
Authors:Bill Martin
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:picture book, repetition

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

English (458)  Spanish (1)  All languages (459)
This is a good book in my opinion for younger students. This is a bit of an older book but it is still a great tool to have especially for ELL students. The language is patterned and clear so it is helpful for younger students because the clear patterned language makes it easy for them to follow along and begin to read it themselves. The pages follow the pattern, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? I see a red bird looking at me." Students will get familiar with the pattern so they will feel comfortable attempting to read, each page follows the same patter with just the animal being altered each time. The pages follow, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? I see a red bird looking at me." This is especially important for ELL students because the simple language and clear ideas help them connect to English and begin to get comfortable with the new vocabulary encountered. The pictures are also helpful because they are simple and represent exactly what is described in the text itself, so on the page where the reader is asking the red bird what they see there is only a picture of a red bird on a white background. This simple picture helps students associate words with their objects which helps them learn words faster and aids in their comprehension. The students will be encouraged to read on because they are able to understand the text and the idea of the book. The writing is also a great aspect of this book. It is well organized and it flows well. The book is easy to read and connect to, almost like a song or rhyme so it will be easy for students to recite and follow along with. The big idea of this book is to help children learn animals and colors and also to encourage them to read by giving them simple text and illustrations that will be easy for them to grasp and use to build on for future skills. ( )
  cduboi2 | Sep 23, 2016 |
Brown Bear, Brown Bear is a children's book, that helps children learn their colors and animals at the same time. It has a rhyme flow scheme which helps the child transition from one color and animal to the other. The children seem to be engaged into what they were doing and loved the book and hearing the colors. ( )
  GiselleNieto | Sep 19, 2016 |
Summery: The book features several animals and they are all different colors.

Personal Reaction: This book is very easy to read. It is good for younger children. It will help them iditify different animals and different colors.

Classroom Activities:
1. Make a work sheet and have the children color the animals according to the book.
2. Play a matching game and match the colors to the animals.
  mollyinger | Sep 19, 2016 |
I loved this picture book. The language is simple and repetitive. Good for both early read a-louds and early readers. This lends the book well for the addition of the music and sign language. The pictures are quintessential Eric Carle. The pictures are both colorful and inviting. The main idea of the book is to learn to identify animals and colors. ( )
  cmcdon18 | Sep 18, 2016 |
Like many other books this is a modern fantasy with animals as the characters. The animals possess human like qualities which helps children relate. The book has great text features like vivid color and exaggerated drawing of animals which keeps readers engaged. As the book lists different colors and animals, emerging readers will encounter new words that will help build their vocabulary. Emerging readers will benefit from this because the can relate the colors and animals in their book to other objects in their environment. It is a great way to provide real word connections that are relevant to kids. The moral of this story is more of a focus on learning sight words and colors. It uses phonics and rhythm to keep kids engaged. ( )
  Kacie11 | Sep 13, 2016 |

Bill Martin Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

117 wanted1 pay8 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,125,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible