Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Bill Martin, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:kaylekatzung
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader
Authors:Bill Martin
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:picture book, repetition

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

English (494)  Spanish (1)  All (495)
The story tells the bear asking different animals which are different colors "what do you see?", and it can teach children what is the color. This book is good for kinder garden readers to read. ( )
  CNKE94297 | Feb 18, 2017 |
You could use this book for a kindergarten classroom as a read aloud. While reading, you would teach your students about colors and animals at the same time. Instead of reading the line such as "yellow duck", you could turn the page first so that the students can practice identifying the color and the animals. You could also use it in a first grade classroom. This book could be an introduction to a simple style of books for the students. Then the students could make their own books that resemble the style of this book since it is easy to follow. This will help them with sequencing and writing.
  AleciaTomes | Feb 17, 2017 |
This book received a rating of 5 out of 5 because of the vibrant colors and rhyming pattern that follows each page. I would connect this book to instruction by reading it during the rhyming lesson because it is a fairly simple read with basic rhyming patterns that are easy to follow. This book is perfect for young children just beginning to read. I personally liked reading this book because of its simplicity and flow. Students will love reading this because by the time they are able to read it, they should be able to recognize and identify each animal mentioned. ( )
  KatlynRessler11 | Feb 7, 2017 |
This book is a colorful, sequence book that illustrates what each animal (or person) sees. This book's repetitiveness makes it notable and easier for younger and/or beginning readers. It also strengthens a child's knowledge of colors and different animals. ( )
  Cayetlin_Hardeman | Feb 4, 2017 |
This books is a pattern and repetitive book that talks about animals and what animal they see in color next starting with a bear. I would connect it to the instruction with the topic of patterns and or repetitiveness. This book is great for kindergarten up to about first grade. This book also belongs to the 100 great childrens books of 100 years. ( )
  dsw021 | Feb 3, 2017 |

Bill Martin Jr.primary authorall editionscalculated
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

117 wanted2 pay9 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,386,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible