Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Bill Martin, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:kaylekatzung
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader
Authors:Bill Martin
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:picture book, repetition

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Jr. Bill Martin (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

Brown Bear Brown Bear by Eric Carle is a repetitive picture book that depicts colors and animals. The book begins by questioning, "Brown bear, brown bear what do you see? And brown bear answers "I see a red bird looking at me". Then the question is asked of a red bird who answers in the same format. Next follows the yellow duck, blue horse, green frog, purple cat, white dog, black sheep, goldfish, and finally the mother who sees children looking at her.

This is a good book for teaching colors and animal names. The pictures are vibrant and there is only the one animal and one blended color with many shades on each page. It is simplistic which makes it appealing, giving each animal and color its "moment to shine" Children love the predictability of the questions and answers. By the end of the story, the children are chanting along.

My favorite story extender is to create a friendship book. I create a book with each child’s picture covered by an index card with the child’s name. I attach the index card with painters tape. At the top of the first page I write "Friend Friend Who do you see?" and the flap is lifted. The answer would be "I see [child’s name] looking at me." and the story continues with each child having a page in the book. This is a great way to encourage the children to recognize names and to remember their new classmates. Another story extender could be to sort toy animals by color or types of animals. The children could also count the animals. Online there are story masks that can be downloaded and the children could put on a play or the masks could be added to the dramatic play area. ( )
  imamarie | Sep 18, 2014 |
I really loved how the book kept children focused on the reading and the correlation of helping children experience the different animals, colors, and repeat phrases. Children can learn to tell the book without even having the teacher read to them. Awesome book for toddlers through elementary.
  lannersvalerie | Sep 17, 2014 |
Brown Bear is a personal favorite of my daycare class. I loved it as a child and I'm glad this generation is loving it too. ( )
  mitichkk | Sep 16, 2014 |
This book is a great example of a predictable book. It repeats the phrase 'What do you see?' and 'I see a ___ looking at me' often so children pick up on the rhythm. In addition, the artwork is great for children to be exposed to. Because each color is mentioned along with the animal, children are learning about animals and colors.
  LaurenValencour | Sep 16, 2014 |
Although Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See is a very simple book, in my opinion, it is an excellent book for young children. I think this for multiple reasons. To begin with, the writing and flow of the book is perfect for young children who are just beginning to learn their letters, sounds and words. The entire book is written repetitively and in a rhyming, for children to pick up on it faster. For example, the book starts out as, “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see? I see a Red Bird looking at me.” It continues from there. “Red Bird, Red Bird what do you see? I see a Yellow Duck looking at me.” When I was younger, this was the main reason I loved this book, because I picked up on it so quickly and could repeat it back to my mom as she read to me. Another reason I liked this book was the illustrations. The illustrations make it easier for children to know what they are reading about. On the first page when Brown Bear is introduced, there is a large illustration of a brown bear. When Red Bird is introduced, a giant red bird is shown. This can help the children while they are reading because if they are stuck on one of those words, they can get help from the illustrations. Lastly, I like this book because it was one of my favorites when I was younger, and I enjoyed reading it over and over again with my mom and older sister. I don’t believe that this book has a main message nor a plot, but it teaches children to identify animals and colors. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 16, 2014 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible