Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Jr. Martin, Bill, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:malydon
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Authors:Jr. Martin, Bill
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:
Tags:ETEC 545 - CSULB: Picture Book

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Jr. Bill Martin (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

I liked this book for many reasons, one being it is a great introduction to both colors and animals for children. The story is enhanced by the repetition of phrases used throughout the book, and the language used is simple and straight-forward. For example, a line in the story goes, "Red bird, red bird, what do you see?" "I see a yellow duck looking at me." The simple, repetitive phrases help the reader to focus on the main concepts of the story such as animals and color without any other distractions. Another reason I liked this book was because of the simple, yet eye-catching illustrations. Each illustration is large and bold in color, again making it easy for the reader to focus on the main concept of the story which are animals and colors. The main idea of the story is to teach children about animals, colors, and which animals are typically certain colors through the use of repetition, rhyme and illustrations. ( )
  KaraHankins | Oct 3, 2014 |
Summary
In Brown Bear Brown Bear you will different colors and animals. It starts off with asking "Brown bear brown bear what do you see?" and then on the next page it has a picture of a yellow duck and Brown Bear responds and says "I see a Yellow duck looking at me." It continues through out the book asking each animal what do they see. In the end a goup of children are asked what do they see and they go through all the colored animals in the book.

Personal Reaction
This book is great with teaching children about their colors and animals. It fun, simple, and very entertaining. This is another great book that my toddlers love at my job. Some of them even know the words, word for word.

Classroom extension
1. I would use this book in ways to talk about different animals and colors.
2. I would use this as an art project and have children draw, color, or paint animals any color they want because there is no wrong. ( )
  theresa.moultrie | Sep 25, 2014 |
I liked this book, “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?” for several reasons. First, this book is an introduction to colors and animals for a very young audience. Even though there is not much of a plot, the story is enhanced by the repetition of the phrase used throughout the book. An example of this would be “Red Bird, Red Bird, What do you see?” and “I see a yellow duck looking at me.” Only the animals and the colors change each time you turn the page so it makes it easy for the child to follow along. Second, the illustrations of the animals by Eric Carle are very simplistic, but the bold, bright colors that are used enhance the story for the children. Each colorful drawing is very large in order to draw the child’s attention to the page. Another reason I like the book is because the children, who are hearing the story, become part of the story, “I see children looking at me.” The ending also recaps all the colors and animals as a review. Overall this story teaches children animals and colors by using repetition with a familiar rhythm, which makes it a favorite for younger children. ( )
  kflach1 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Brown Bear Brown Bear by Eric Carle is a repetitive picture book that depicts colors and animals. The book begins by questioning, "Brown bear, brown bear what do you see? And brown bear answers "I see a red bird looking at me". Then the question is asked of a red bird who answers in the same format. Next follows the yellow duck, blue horse, green frog, purple cat, white dog, black sheep, goldfish, and finally the mother who sees children looking at her.

This is a good book for teaching colors and animal names. The pictures are vibrant and there is only the one animal and one blended color with many shades on each page. It is simplistic which makes it appealing, giving each animal and color its "moment to shine" Children love the predictability of the questions and answers. By the end of the story, the children are chanting along.

My favorite story extender is to create a friendship book. I create a book with each child’s picture covered by an index card with the child’s name. I attach the index card with painters tape. At the top of the first page I write "Friend Friend Who do you see?" and the flap is lifted. The answer would be "I see [child’s name] looking at me." and the story continues with each child having a page in the book. This is a great way to encourage the children to recognize names and to remember their new classmates. Another story extender could be to sort toy animals by color or types of animals. The children could also count the animals. Online there are story masks that can be downloaded and the children could put on a play or the masks could be added to the dramatic play area. ( )
  imamarie | Sep 18, 2014 |
I really loved how the book kept children focused on the reading and the correlation of helping children experience the different animals, colors, and repeat phrases. Children can learn to tell the book without even having the teacher read to them. Awesome book for toddlers through elementary. ( )
  lannersvalerie | Sep 17, 2014 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible