Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Jr. Martin, Bill, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:malydon
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Authors:Jr. Martin, Bill
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:ETEC 545 - CSULB: Picture Book

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Jr. Bill Martin (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

Little ones love the repetition of this story. Can teach about different colors and animals. It would be fun to create some of our own animals to "add" to the book! ( )
  ekrynen | Nov 23, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, I liked this book because of the writing. The book is engaging, organized, and flows at a great pace. For example, each page rhymes and leads to the next page. A second reason I liked this book was because of the illustrations. The illustrations go with the text. Each animal is the color that is represented and helps to make better sense of the story. Overall, the big idea of the story is entertainment and learning. This book is good for learning colors, animals, and other important ideas. ( )
  AllisonStrait | Nov 2, 2014 |
Summary - In the book brown bear brown bear what do you see, describes many different animals all a different color. It makes it memorable and the children want to see what is on the next page. Every page has something different and the children stay focused.

Personal Reaction - I love this book. I think the whole rhyming and the animals with the different colors is fascinating to watch.

Classroom Extension Ideas -
1. Draw a picture of different colored animals.
2. Sing a song about the book. ( )
  JennaJ | Oct 31, 2014 |
This was one of my favorite books as a kid and I still adore it now. The eye-catching illustrations allow kids to learn different colors and animals. The book is very simple and it allows the audience to focus on page rather than have their eyes all over. Even if kids know about animals, they will wonder what animal and color will pop up next. ( )
  Nijania | Oct 26, 2014 |
I liked this book for many reasons, one being it is a great introduction to both colors and animals for children. The story is enhanced by the repetition of phrases used throughout the book, and the language used is simple and straight-forward. For example, a line in the story goes, "Red bird, red bird, what do you see?" "I see a yellow duck looking at me." The simple, repetitive phrases help the reader to focus on the main concepts of the story such as animals and color without any other distractions. Another reason I liked this book was because of the simple, yet eye-catching illustrations. Each illustration is large and bold in color, again making it easy for the reader to focus on the main concept of the story which are animals and colors. The main idea of the story is to teach children about animals, colors, and which animals are typically certain colors through the use of repetition, rhyme and illustrations. ( )
  KaraHankins | Oct 3, 2014 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,015,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible