Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Jr. Martin, Bill, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:malydon
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Authors:Jr. Martin, Bill
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:ETEC 545 - CSULB: Picture Book

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Jr. Bill Martin (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

Brow Bear Brown Bear What do you see was written by Bill Martin Jr. and illustrated by Eric Carle. It was published in 1996 by Henry Holt and Co. This book is about all different animals and does a good job pulling the reader in by asking questions. This book would be a great book to read to little ones because the reader can ask the child the questions and get the child to answer. This book even promotes language and cognitive development.

Another great part of the book is the illustrations. The illustrations are by the well known illustrator Eric Carle and are fun and interesting to look at. They are the perfect touch for the book. When I read this book to the little girl I babysit she asked me to read it over and over again to her. Once I had read the book to her a few times she had basically memorized what each page said and started reading it to me. I think this says a lot about the book and how great it is. I strongly recommend reading this book. ( )
  MaryMariePearson | Apr 17, 2015 |
Tuesdays at the Castle Book Review
Author: Jessica Day George
Summary: Tuesdays at Castle Glower are Princess Celie's favorite days. That's because on Tuesdays the castle adds a new room or sometimes even an entire wing! No one ever knows what the castle will do next, and no one-other than Celie takes the time to map out the new additions. But when King and Queen Glower are ambushed while traveling and their whereabouts are unclear, it's up to Celie, with her knowledge of the castle's never-ending and always-changing twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom. Celie’s courage is put to the test when a new prince tries to take over Castle Glower and the kingdom.
Characters: Castle Glower and the Glower family, made up of King and Queen Glower, Lilah, Rolf, Celie, are the main characters. Some other characters include: Khlesh, the Emissary, and Pogue.
Theme: The theme of this story focuses on fantasy and supernatural events. This story appeals to readers with imaginative and creative minds.
Plot: Celie is the youngest of the King and Queen Glower’s four children. They live in a magical castle that grows and shrinks, depending on the apparent whim of the Castle itself. It chooses the king by giving him a stately bedroom near the throne room or kicks people out by giving them small, uncomfortable rooms or just physically kicks them out. The Castle is always changing, but mostly these changes happen on Tuesdays. The royal family knows the rules for navigating it, but Celie knows the Castle the best. The king and queen leave the Castle to attend Bran’s graduation from the College of Wizardry. Bran is their oldest son, but the Castle made the second born son, Rolf, the heir. The king and queen are attacked by bandits on their return home to the Castle, and only the royal carriage and one wounded soldier, Avery, return. The Council claims that the king and queen are dead, and press to crown Rolf king and then appoint the Council as Regents, acting on his behalf for the next ten years. Although only 14 years old, Rolf is competent enough to rule as king, but he believes the king and queen are not dead because the Castle has not changed their room or turns his room into the royal bedroom. In fact, everything is just as it had been. The Royal Chambers were still the same size and in the same place, as was Rolf’s room. The Council appoints an evil prince from another kingdom, Khelsh, to the Council, and tries to force Rolf to make Khelsh his heir. Rolf, Lilah, Celie, and their friend Pogue, a handsome boy who came to flirt with Lilah when he heard the news of the king and queen’s fate, try to find Bran and the king and queen while holding the kingdom together, all with the help of the Castle. Khelsh uses the wizards from his land to find a spell that puts the Castle to sleep and then takes over the Castle, knowing the Glower children were virtually helpless without it on their side. It takes all three children using all of their wits to protect the kingdom and the Castle until their parents return.
Setting: This story in its entirety takes place in Castle Glower or on its grounds. Significant specific settings include the Spyglass Tower, the kitchens, and the throne room. ( )
  angelawhite13 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Lindsey Johnson

Book # 8

Genre-
Poetry

Book Summary: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? I see a red bird looking at me. This book teaches about color and animal recognition all at the same time. The readers will first see a Brown Bear, followed by a Red bird, Yellow duck, Blue horse, Green frog, Purple cat, White dog, Black sheep, and Gold fish. This book’s predicable text and rhyming words make it easy for students to understand what they’re reading. I have never found a student who didn’t love this book.

Personal Reaction: These have always been some of my favorite books. I have bought all of these for my son. I love the illustrations as well as the rhyming words. I love that my son gets excited that he thinks he can read but really he is just looking at the awesome illustrations of the different colors and animals.

Extension Activities:
1. Discuss what we see around the room using colors and objects.
2. We could also discuss what the word rhyming means and think of rhyming words.
  LindseyJohnson | Apr 10, 2015 |
This is a great book for younger students and I have enjoyed reading this book for many years. The main idea of this story is to show different animals and what they see. I liked the story because it can teach young students different colors and animals. The illustrations in the story are also very interesting and detailed, young children are engaged by the creative illustrations. The book's story line does not stray from naming animals and colors, the repetitious pattern keeps children of young ages engaged and wondering what is going to come next. ( )
  cwierz2 | Apr 7, 2015 |
I really like this book for teaching students colors, descriptive words, and poetry It is a very simple and basic book that has beautiful illustrations. It also teaches rhythm by repeating "Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?' It also is very simple and basic. It provides the description and picture of the animal to match the description.
  bmille16 | Apr 2, 2015 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,729,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible