Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Jr. Martin, Bill, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:malydon
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Authors:Jr. Martin, Bill
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:ETEC 545 - CSULB: Picture Book

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Jr. Bill Martin (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

BRCSBooks | Sep 12, 2014 |
I found this book to be pretty good. It is basically just a Spanish version of Eric Carle's Brown Bear, Brown Bear. The illustrations in this book are fabulous. Eric Carle is a great artist and uses different types of medium to create his illustrations. He put one large depiction of either the purple cat, white dog, brown bear, etc. on each page. He enhanced the color of the animal by putting it against a contrasting background so it would stand out better. It is a great book for learning different colors. The text is very simple and basic, which is great for early readers or someone learning Spanish. There is some repetitive text, "animal, animal, what do you see? I see a animal looking at me", which is great for younger learners to memorize and think that they are reading. The only thing I wish this book had was the English words beneath the Spanish words. ( )
  abrozi1 | Sep 10, 2014 |
Summary- This is a book about a brown bear who sees many animals looking at him. The animals are also all different kinds of colors and when the bear sees them he states what animal it is and also what color the animal is.

Personal reaction- This book is a great book for kids because it has repetition and the excitement for kids to wonder what animal will be seen next. I liked how each animal was a fun color. i really enjoyed this book.

Classroom extension ideas-
1. I could use this book to talk about the different animals in the book. All of the children can pick and animal and try to act like that animal.
2. The book repeats the lines 'brown bear, brown bear what do you see?". That would be a great line to have all of the kids say along with me.
  KelseaSchlumbohm | Aug 27, 2014 |
Summary- This is a book about a brown bear who comes across different types of animals. The animals are also all different kinds of colors and when the bear sees them he states what animal it is and what color it is also.

Personal reaction- I thought this book was very repetitive which is not a bad thing for young kids. I liked how each animal was a different color. I think that children really enjoy how big the animals are on each page.

Classroom extension ideas-
2. The book repeats the lines 'brown bear, brown bear what do you see?". That would be a great line to have all of the kids say with me.
  brittanyblakesley | Aug 22, 2014 |
This is my 2 1/2 year old's favorite book for the past year. It seems that not only do we read it numerous times a day, but now that he has its catchy little phrases memorized as he can "read" it himself as he turns the pages. He loves the colors and especially the discussions we have about the various animals, their sounds, and their looks. Anyone with a young toddler should have this book! ( )
  KMClark | Jul 15, 2014 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,658,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible