Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Bill Martin, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader
Authors:Bill Martin
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:children bear baby

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

English (469)  Spanish (1)  All languages (470)
Yet another example of Eric Carle's ability to relate to children. This book is great for practicing call-and-responses with young children and fosters language and cognitive development with its rhythm and rhyming. ( )
  MadalynRoach | Oct 20, 2016 |
This is a great resource for parents, teachers, and caregivers that are teaching young children colors, rhyming, and the names of different animals. I really like the repetition ("Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?") and the flow of the book. I like how versatile this book is as you could also turn this book into a fun game that you can play with your children when noticing different things around your neighborhood. As always, Eric Carle's illustrations set this book apart from many others. Children and adults love the patterns and colors. I believe the message is to teach young children colors, animals, and rhyming words in a fun way. ( )
  mdinar2 | Oct 20, 2016 |
"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" is a fun, playful story about perspective. Everyone has a different way of seeing things and this book is a good example of that. The plot line moves along at a consistent rate moving from animal to animal, making the story flow. This allows the reader to anticipate and think about what may be coming next. The illustrations are another important part of this book. The animals are very bright and extremely large, taking up sometimes more than one page. The illustrations are what make this story so fun to read. ( )
  BlairThompson | Oct 18, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. One feature I enjoyed was the element of foreshadowing. You can’t see the animal that they mention on the page until the next page. For example, “Yellow duck, yellow duck what do you see? I see a blue horse looking at me.”On this page you can only see the yellow duck. Once you flip the page, you see the horse is there waiting. Another feature I enjoyed was the illustrations. They filled the page and matched the color words. Also, the illustrations of the animals were close enough to reality that the reader knows the animal without having to read it, but it also looks very childlike. For example, the purple cat looks like a cat, but it doesn’t look perfect. This allows the illustrations to reflect the audience of the book. The theme of this book is teach the readers color words. ( )
  GabbyWooten | Oct 18, 2016 |
I think this book is great for younger children! The book has great illustrations to keep students engaged as well as demonstrates repetition, which children generally enjoy. ( )
  cccoch9041 | Oct 17, 2016 |

Bill Martin Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

117 wanted1 pay8 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,790,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible