Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Bill Martin, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader
Authors:Bill Martin
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:children bear baby

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Jr. Bill Martin (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

Great book for young readers who are first learning the different colors. I enjoyed this book because of the illustrations and writing pattern. The illustrations showed the animals being talked about as well as the color the animal was being associated with. For example, "Brown bear, brown bear what do you see? I see a purple dog looking at me." This allows children to become familiar with colors. I also enjoyed the writing style because it had a rhythmic pattern which can help the fluency of young readers. The overall message of this book is teach young readers about color, animals, and fluency when reading.
  bemory1 | Oct 4, 2015 |
I really like this book for its kid friendly illustrations and how it's repetitive. Being a repetitive story makes it much easier for the younger students to learn to read and keep their attention. Plus the illustrations are bright and stand out. especially the purple horse! Children would find that quite abnormal if their book showed a picture of a purple horse. This book is a great way for young children to learn their colors and learn to read. ( )
  kstano1 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book as a child and even as an adult now. The language is patterned into rhymes. This is great for small children because it helps them to predict what the next word will be based on the rhymes. The illustrations are well done and they enhance the story. The main idea of this book is to teach the colors. The illustrator includes different tones of each color in each of the drawings, broadening the readers knowledge on each color. ( )
  rpotte5 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I absolutely love this book and all of the illustrations. The colors are so bright and vivid.This is a great read aloud book because the children have lots of opportunities to join in, as the book focuses on using rhythmic and repetitive texts throughout. It's also written well because it flows with how each animal is watching another. I also love how at the end of the story the goldfish reply’s “I see a teacher looking at me”, so the goldfish asks the Teacher who then ask the children. This is a great book for early readers. ( )
  adepuy1 | Sep 28, 2015 |
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? is an excellent board book well suited for an early elementary classroom. This book takes readers though a variety of animals asking each what they see until the goldfish sees a teacher and the teacher sees her students. The pattern of “animal, animal, what do you see” is one that children can easily pick up on. This makes classroom interaction with literature more fun when students can read aloud along with the teacher for the repeated parts. Colors are also a theme in this book that can be quite educational for younger students. For a little bit older students, this book could be rewritten in the same repeating format with animals of their choice and color. The illustrations look very bright and rich in color. Uniquely, they also look as though they are made up of scraps of different pages or textures but all of the same color. The bright color and the unique illustrations work well with the text. Lastly, the page featuring students is varied in skin tone and gender and I think that is a good thing to notice. ( )
  AbbyMae | Sep 25, 2015 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,753,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible