Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Bill Martin, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:Rfaulk
Title:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader
Authors:Bill Martin
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:children bear baby

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. (1967)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

English (502)  Spanish (1)  All (503)
This is a great book for early kindergarten readers. It focuses on colors and different animals. The book asks different animals what they see and they all reply with another animal and a color of that animal. at the end of the book it ties in with the class and asks what they see and it repeats all the animals that appeared in the book. This part is good for class participation. I would read this book when teaching colors. ( )
  Skelly29 | Feb 23, 2017 |
This book is a very colorful, imaginative way to teach about different animals, colors, and help to develop awareness of rhyme scheme. It goes through a list of different animals such as a bear, a bird, a horse, and others, as well as the different colors of the rainbow. Each page also has a rhyme scheme, which can help strengthen phonemic awareness of your students. This would be a great book to read to younger students (Pre K - Kindergarten) to help build the initial background knowledge on the colors and animals. ( )
  gabitouriel | Feb 23, 2017 |
This book would be read aloud to my students. In a 2nd grade class, the students could use this book in science lesson. With a partner, each pair could choose a different animal from the book. Using book resources in the library and the internet, students could research facts about their animal: Where are they typically found? What do they eat? How long do they live? How much do they weigh? They would then take this information and display it on a poster and share their findings with the class. For a first grade class, the students could be asked to write a short poem similar to that of Brown Bear Brown Bear. The poem must rhyme and use the phrases: ____ what do you see? I see a ___ looking at me. Students will be allowed to draw pictures for each part of the poem, but they must be in the same sequence as their poem. ( )
  kkminime | Feb 22, 2017 |
This book begins with a brown bear and from questioning each animal it reveals a new animal that they are seeing. Each animal is a new color. In the end there is a group of students who recite all the animals covered in the book.
  EllieDowns | Feb 22, 2017 |
This book could be used with younger students such as first grade in elementary school. It would be a good idea to teach about color with the students such as the primary and secondary colors since each animal is painted a different color. We can discuss how the different colors are made, and even experiment with colors of our own with paint, etc.
  apecaro01 | Feb 21, 2017 |

Bill Martin Jr.primary authorall editionscalculated
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

117 wanted2 pay9 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,545,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible