Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

Member:Kandie1208
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Caldecott Award

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

This story is told by a boy who goes owl watching with his grandfather. There is little dialogue but the description of what the boy sees, hears, and feels is wonderfully done. The illustrations contrast each other greatly to illuminate the bright full moon verse the dark dense woods.
  ottmichaelt | Mar 12, 2019 |
This story is about a small child's experience going "owling" for the first time with her father. This tale captures the five senses, while describing the setting in an accurate form with vivid illustrations. I appreciate the versatility in this book! I can see this used in an English classroom as a good example for setting. At the same time, I can see the value Owl Moon can bring to a science classroom with the scenes of the pair wandering into a forest trying to sight an owl. They would have to know a Great Horned Owl habits and preferred environment. As well as, their feeding times and what times these creatures feed. The intended audience here also varies from younger to older. Younger students could relate to the images and pick on the descriptive words being used. Older students this could be a good refresher on what to write/look for in a novel to know the setting. Personally, I enjoyed this book and could see myself using this a future classroom! ( )
  Stephanie_Reyes | Feb 18, 2019 |
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen; (4*)

I think I would have given this a 5* rating, for sure, if I had read the hardcopy rather than listening to it. Children's books just lose something for me in the telling without the art work.
But still this is a charming tale of a little girl (I assumed it was a girl-child) and her papa who go out 'owling' one cold, brisk, starry night. The child has been begging her father to go along with him for ever so long and now he finally thinks she is ready to go. "If you go owling you have to be quiet". He tells her this each time she makes a noise. When once she is frightened by a sound and emits a wee gasp, he tells her: "If you go owling you have to be brave".
Finally they stop in a clearing in the midst of the wood and he begins calling to the owls. At first they only hear the silence. But after a bit, from far off, they hear an echo of his call. He calls again. Then from nearer they hear the echo again and suddenly they see a huge shadow of an owl reflected on the brilliant white snow. They remain silent and in awe for a few moments and then the father tells the little girl they will go home now.
I think perhaps this one will go the our 'greats' for Christmas, 2019 if I find the imagery to be as satisfactory as the prose. I find Yolen to be a simply amazing author. ( )
  rainpebble | Jan 23, 2019 |
Owl Moon is about a father who takes his daughter out for a midnight walk in the moon light. The setting is winter, the father talks to the girl about all the beautiful things there are to see in the middle of winter at night. They listen to the animals that surround them. He teaches the girl how to call for owls.The girl takes in her fathers words and begins to see the beauty as well. (source for teaching metaphors/ similies) ( )
  cherzog | Jan 17, 2019 |
A father and a daughter duo go on an adventure in the woods to find an owl.

Owl Moon is a perfect winter story and also a beautiful story about a bond between a father and a daughter. The illustrations are gorgeous and I loved the story! ( )
  KailiMarion | Dec 9, 2018 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Troost, Ernest V.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling —J. Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. —J. S.
It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you donʼt need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:16 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,447,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible