Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

3,3461941,623 (4.16)28
Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

This realistic fictional picture book tells the story of a young girl who finally gets to go owl hunting with her dad. Her two brothers got to go already and her dad finally let her go with him. They had to be really quiet and could not talk the whole way. Her dad called out to an owl. They waited patiently and finally heard an owl respond back. ( )
  BayleeWestrick | Feb 24, 2015 |
In this book a father takes his daughter "owling" on a winter night. I liked the plot, language and point of view in this book. Yolen, displayed excellent use of figurative language to tend to the five senses. One example of this is, "I could feel the cold as if someone's icy hand was palm down on my back...hot and cold at the same time." The plot of this story was suspenseful, the reader feels the quiet and coldness of the night and feels disappointed as the dad hears no response from the owls after multiple attempts. Suddenly there is hope when their patience pays off and an owl appears. Lastly, the point of view was very interesting because it was in first person and, in the past tense. It gave a powerful voice to a young girl who described very personal moments such as the understanding need to be brave when owling. ( )
  nlinco1 | Feb 16, 2015 |
This book is about a child and their grandfather who go owling out in the woods. They are searching for an owl in the woods and the child is learning all these different things to do and not to do while owling, and eventually they find an owl after searching for so long. This book is interesting and is easy to relate to because students may do similar activities with a member of their family. There is a lot of repetition in this book, and I think that would help the students remember more about the book. An extension you could do with this book would be to have the students talk about an activity they like to do with someone.
  mikefletch | Feb 12, 2015 |
I read the book Owl Moon by Jan Yolen. I really liked this book for many reasons. This book instilled a peaceful and calming feeling in the reader. In addition, I feel that the book had a great use of similes and metaphors, which could be used to teach a lesson on these specific literary elements. For example, the author states, “…when their voice faded away it was as quiet as a dream.” The language was very descriptive and clear for a young reader to follow along. This can be seen when the author described the pine trees as “…black and pointy against the sky.” There was also good use of suspense in the plot to keep the reader intrigued. When Pa was about to call to the owls for a second time, after no response, “…an echo came threading its way through the trees.” This was something that surprised me while reading and would change up what a reader would “expect.” Finally, I think this book subtly pushes towards modeling a positive attitude towards things in life. The young boy in the book stated, “I was not disappointed. My brothers all said sometimes there’s an owl and sometimes their isn’t.” This demonstrates for students that, although you may work for something and not get the outcome you expected, the journey is still fun and you shouldn’t be disappointed. Overall, I was pleased with this book. ( )
  kriley5 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I like Owl Moon because of the gradual representation of the relationship that the “pa” and daughter undergo. Whether it may be a relationship between a friend, a parent, a teacher, or someone close, I believe having a role model to follow in his or her steps is truly important for everyone to have. This story not only included that idea along with amazing illustrations and descriptive language, but the flow presented a smooth transition from suspense to surprise. “Pa” leaded the little girl modeling patience, determination, and hope while “owling”. The little girl followed in his steps portraying a very committed and curious attitude. "Just hope that's all you need" is a very inspiring and uplifting quote mentioned in the story. This story would be great for younger children to learn the importance of relationships, patience, and discovery. ( )
  cfumai1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling -J.Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. -J.S.
It is late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you don't need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:18 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,708,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible