Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

In this story a young girl goes into the forest with her father in search of an owl. They spend time walking through the forest and making owl calls, and the girl learns the need to be patient and recognizes the beauty of nature when they eventually find an owl.

This book could be used to help students better understand different figurative language like metaphors. It would likely require rereading for students to pick out different phrases and ask questions to determine the meaning. Using the descriptions, students can visualize what the text is saying and refer to the illustrations. They can activate prior knowledge of owls or discuss experiences and special memories they have with a parent.
  sso14 | Jul 18, 2016 |
Late one winter night a little girl and her father go owling. The trees stand still as statues and the world is silent as a dream. Whoo-whoo-whoo, the father calls to the mysterious nighttime bird. But there is no answer. Wordlessly the two companions walk along, for when you go owling you don't need words. You don't need anything but hope. Sometimes there isn't an owl, but sometimes there is.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 18, 2016 |
I loved this book about a father and daughter going owling and their relationship. I loved the illustrations in this book and I enjoyed reading it.
  KamarandaJones1 | Jul 15, 2016 |
Owl Moon is a Caldecott Award Winning book about a young girl going owling with her father. They go out in the night, where it is snowy and cold. They woo together to try and get an owl to woo back at them. It is a cute father and daughter story with a message of hope and patience.

I found the book was very sweet and gave a special reminder at the end. ‘You don’t need words or warm or anything but hope.” I can relate to the book since I go hunting with my family and you need to be quiet and patient. I enjoyed the book and it message that sometimes you have to just be quiet and have hope and things will eventually turn in your favor. The book uses many and great metaphors that express the story creatively.

After reading the book to children I would ask them if they have had any experiences with hunting or owling. They can reply with their experiences with their parents and families, this will help them feel comfortable talking about their parents and with speech in front of an audience. Another activity could be dressing up as owls or making the “owl face” and having a lesson on the characteristics of owls, such as patience, intelligence and knowledge. ( )
  Robyn7 | Jul 11, 2016 |
The pace of the book is slow and I think to really get the feel for the book, the reader would have to be nestled up to a nice fireplace on a quiet, cold winter night.The pictures really let your imagination fill in the blanks in the best way. The most powerful page in the book was the last one and I would have liked for the author to elaborate a little more as a lot of meanings can be extrapolated. It's a little bit vague and I felt like there was a lot more to the story. I thought that the author had a lot of deep personal history about the story but didn't share enough of it with us. ( )
  ChelseaFinnerty | Jul 11, 2016 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling —J. Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. —J. S.
It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you donʼt need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:16 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,477,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible