Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

3,3651981,615 (4.16)30
Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

This story is about a little girl and her pa who set out on a cold winter night to go owling. They walk through the snow and find a place to stop. Her pa calls out 'Whoo" to the owls, but they get no response. Then they walk through some tall dark trees. She can't help but wonder what is lurking in those trees, but she makes sure she doesn't say anything because her pa and brothers told her you must be quiet when you go owling. They come to an opening in the trees and the moon is shining brightly above them. They stop and her pa calls out "Whoo" to the owls once again, and the time an owl calls back "Whoo" to them also. They go back and forth a couple of times and the owl gets closer. Her pa shines his flashlight on the owl and they watch him fly off. The little girl giggles and they are finally able to talk as they head back home.

Personal Reaction:
I think this is a really cute book. It reminds me of times when I was growing up and I knew I had to be quiet. I can think of a few times going fishing with my dad and grandpa. I wanted to play and skip rocks, but they always told me I would scare the fish off if I did, so I had to wait until we were done fishing to do so. But they are great memories nonetheless.

Classroom Extension:
1. When teaching about different birds and animals and the sounds they make, this would be a good book to read to the children because it has the "Whoo" sound in it often.
2. The book also references shadows a few times. She could see her and her pa's shadow on the bright snow as they were walking along. I could take the children outside so they can see their shadows, and we could talk about shadows then.
  Brandy9706 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Overall I would recommend this story. The main message of this book is to teach readers the importance of stepping back and just having hope in life. I thought the book had great descriptive language. For example, "Our feet crunched over the crisp snow and little gray footprints followed." By using such descriptive language the reader is really able to visualize what is happening and makes the story come to life. I also really enjoyed the surprised ending. I thought something was going to happen with one of the owls. I didn't expect it to end so abruptly and just have them enjoy the owls. I liked this idea because it really showed me that sometimes you just have to enjoy nature. Lastly, I did not like how the author didn't add any faces to the characters. I'm not quite sure why they choose this but i felt as though the pictures lacked detail. With the descriptive language I was able to get a better picture of what was happening. ( )
  bmalon6 | Mar 23, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. First, there is figurative language throughout the book. For example, on page 15, the author uses a simile to show imagery, “The moon was night above us. It seemed to fit exactly over the center of the clearing and the snow below it was whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl”. Second, I like how the writing is organized. The author could have put all the sentences together to make a paragraph, but the author didn’t. The author writes a few words for each line, which makes the lines more powerful and meaningful. For example, “Somewhere behind us a train whistle blew, long and low, like a sad, sad song”, the author is trying to paint a picture in the readers’ minds and help them listen to the noises in the background as if they were there with the characters (pg. 2). Lastly, the characters are believable. During the outing to find an owl, the daughter walks behind her father to try to keep up and tries to copy what he is doing. The daughter has to be silent and patient the whole walk through the woods until she finds the owl. Once the daughter and father find the owl, they walk home together hand in hand. Nature is bringing them together. The big idea of the story is to do what you are told and be persistent because in the end it will pay off. ( )
  moaks1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
This is a story about a father and daughter relationship. It takes place outdoors, at night and with snow. They go out owling (looking for owls) and during the process, they are enjoying nature together. You can sense the warmth of the father/daughter relationship against the coldness of the weather. At the end they discovered the owl they were searching for together. Another good book on relationships.
  32BASKETBALL | Mar 13, 2015 |
I liked this story because of 2 reasons. First, the language was very descriptive. For example, “the short brown shadow” and “black and pointy against the sky” are two great descriptions. The author could have said “the shadow” and “against the sky” but instead he added the descriptions that made the story interesting and stronger. Second, I liked the illustrations because they were not over powering with too much color or detail. Therefore, they helped with comprehension because I was able to compare my visual to the illustration. If there was a part where my visual didn’t match the illustration didn’t match then I reread. The big idea of the story was that anyone can get what they hope for if they try their hardest and don’t give up. The little boy in the story wanted to see an owl and knew he had to keep looking and remain quiet. He did just that and his hope to see an owl came true! ( )
  kmcpha3 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling -J.Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. -J.S.
It is late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you don't need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:18 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,192,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible