Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

In my opinion this is a great poetic picture book, especially the writing and characters points of view. The writing in this book has a very poetic flow, for example the sentence “Somewhere behind us a train whistle blow, long and low, like a sad, sad song.” paints a picture for the reader. The format and organization of the writing also allowed for a flowing and well-paced reading for hearing orally as well. When students are reading this novel they are seeing models of how to format their own writing. Characters like the daughter and her father, Pa, depict the relationship struggles between many father-daughter relationships. For example when the daughter says “ If you go owling you have to be quiet, that’s what Pa always says”, you can tell that she is eager to speak but her father’s made it clear that she cannot. Along with the characters the watercolor illustrations draw you into the writing. The owl’s eyes are an especially powerful illustration in this book because of their bright appearance on the page. The big idea of this message is to listen and preserver because it is all worth it in the end. ( )
  Rvealey | Feb 9, 2016 |
Summary:
Owl Moon is a story about a young child who goes owling with his/her Pa. They are looking for a great horned owl, and they have to be quiet and brave walking through the woods to try and find one. Sometimes there is an owl, and sometimes there are not. You have to have hope. However, finally after a long cold walk they find one!

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this story. The language used throughout the book was wonderful, and one could really visualize what what happening. It made me wish that when I was young, I could have done that with my Pa! I honestly think most kids would enjoy having this experience during their childhood!

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1). A figurative language lesson over regular words and detailed sentences using similes.
2). Phases of the moon lesson using Oreos to show the different ways the moon looks at different times of the month.
3). Lessons over owls and other nocturnal animals. ( )
  Toods | Jan 31, 2016 |
The pictures in this book are dull with color but help with actually picturing what the words are saying. When the book says "it was as quite as a dream" you could really feel that through the picture. In the pictures, it was just the boy and his grandfather walking into the woods and nothing was around, letting me think that it was quite there. ( )
  ccampeaux | Jan 28, 2016 |
This book is mysterious and in my it would be good when teaching poetry.
  EvelynCoria | Dec 6, 2015 |
The theme of the story Owl Moon by Jane Yolen is to do what your told and keep going because it will pay off in the end. In the book, a young girl and her father take a stroll near the farm where they live to look for owls. The books theme of hope is very important for younger children to grasp. I would recommend that students read this book to help them better understand that sometimes things go the way you wish, and sometimes they do not, and if they don't you should keep trying and not give up. The young girl in the story was not disappointed because her brothers had explained to her prior that sometimes you see an own and sometimes you don't. ( )
  abeda002 | Nov 30, 2015 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling —J. Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. —J. S.
It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you donʼt need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:16 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible