Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

The story tells of a father and daughter's fist owling experience. On their way the meet a great horned owl. They pass many creatures along the way including a fox, racoon, fieldmouse, and a deer. This book brings to life the widlife the atmosphere,the chill in the winter air. This book is a great read to help create the emotion of excitment in the great outdoors. No matter where you live you can get a little bit of winter night and adventure with this great book.

What I enjoyed about this book was the pure adventure I felt as the pages took me through such a cold night. I felt as though I could hear the silence and the creatures sounds.

The two classroom extensions I would use with this book is the first being focusing on that we see. What do the words tell us that we see and what do the pictures show us that we see. When we focus on sight we can learn to gain more out of the reading. The next classroom extension would be what can we hear in the reading? What sounds can we hear through the text and what sounds can we hear in the pictures? Having the class focus on these two senses will help the reader connect with the story on a much deeper level.
These two extensions are not just intended to gain information from the story but these activities will help the reader become a writer who is sensitive to the needs of the readers.
  Amandaspangler | Jul 18, 2017 |
Owl Moon is a wonderful story about a girl's adventure with her father. The images are beautiful and help to show the mood and tone of the story. Great story for young readers since they can visualize themselves as travelers in a dark and snowy night. ( )
  VClarke | Jul 8, 2017 |
Summary: This story follows a little girl and her father who go out on a cold, snowy night is search of an owl. The little girl has always wanted to go owling, and now doing it she realizes so much so much about the night, the world, patience, and hope. The young girl looks up to her father and loves this experience with him. Eventually they find the owl and share a connection with it and head for home.

Personal Reflection: I related to this book a lot. When I was a child I always wanted to go hunting with my Daddy. I finally got to go when I was around 6 years old. I had to be quiet and sit patiently waiting for a deer to come. I can also relate to this book by never giving up hope. I am always trying to be optimistic about things.

Classroom Extension:
1.) I could print out different Owl pictures and have each child color their own owl.
2.) I could have the children create their own Owl out of a paper bag, and have a puppet show doing our very own "owning."
  JenniferPrice | Jul 4, 2017 |
Owl Moon is a story about a father and son in search of owls. The descriptive words Yolen uses makes you feel like you are there in the woods on a cold wintery night. Yolen tells the beautiful story of a father and son on the "hunt" for owls. Finally, after much walking and calling, a beautiful owl appears. Their search is over and they return home. I loved reading this narrative. I felt as if I was there in the woods with him. I would like to see my students create a personal narrative about an adventure they went on with their parents/siblings. Was it everything they hoped it would be?

Lesson ideas for Owl Moon:
https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/blog-posts/erin-klein/owl-moon-printable-lesson-plans-engage-young-writers/ ( )
  SraSpoer | Apr 17, 2017 |
'Owl Moon' is a great read for students in the 3rd-4th grade age level! The little girl and her Pa set out late at night to go owl hunting. The two spend long patient hours in the woods calling our for Owls. The book is not necessarily a relatable book for kids however it does display a meaningful message. "Good things come those who wait." People do not always get what they want right away, however that does not mean you give up on the goal or opportunity, you keep trying. I recommend Owl Moon to read to your classrooms! ( )
  katelynzemlak | Apr 4, 2017 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Troost, Ernest V.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling —J. Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. —J. S.
It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you donʼt need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:16 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible