Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

PreK-2nd grade. Realistic Fiction. I could use this book to discuss the feelings of nature,emotional feelings due to the very harmonious text. Students could relate to this when they go camping or hunting with family/friends
  RosaJuarez | Mar 28, 2017 |
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen is about a little girl and her father who go owling late one evening. This is something the young girl has waited a long time to experience with her father realizing she may or may not see an owl but its experience the time with her father she most looks forward to. The night is still and mysterious the father calls multiple times and finally the majestic owl appears. This leaves the little girl in awe.
I chose this story due to the theme of hope and knowing that’s all you need sometimes. This book has a poetry type writing set up and is very suspenseful. I like the way it emphasizes the importance of experiencing things with your family and the adventures you can have. I also found it interesting how this story is about a little girl in her father when typically you see the genders matching up in children’s books. Ultimately it was a cute story giving children wonder and also introducing a wonderful creature in a positive manor.
I think books like this have so many different ways in which to be incorporated into the classroom. This book would be a nice edition to an animal study of the Great Horned Owl. Another way the teacher could incorporate this book would be a creative writing assignment asking the children to write a story of an experience with their parents or something they hope to do one day.
  Linzie12 | Mar 26, 2017 |
The book "Owl Moon" is a story about a little girl and her dad that go out one winter evening looking for owl's. The two trek into the cold woods and make calls for owls. The journey to find an owl isn't easy, but the thrill of the chase and the hopes for being able to see an owl is keeping the two going. The little girl grows impatient, but she has hopes to see an owl. Eventually, after trekking through the cold and snow, the father and daughter see an owl. The central message is that if you believe in something you can accomplish it. You may feel like your efforts aren't working, but if you're persistent, you can accomplish anything. ( )
  BrianRatliff | Mar 15, 2017 |
A girl and her father go owling on a late winter night.
Realistic settting, events, and characters
Media: watercolor, ink
  klum15 | Feb 26, 2017 |
I had mixed feelings about this book because I think it would be a great book for my future class, however, it was not a book I would personally read for enjoyment. I like this book because I feel like you could do many different things with this book, and have many different views to what this book means. The descriptive language of this book really paints a picture in the reader’s head. You almost feel like you’re going owling with Pa too. The author uses many similes and metaphors throughout the book, such as, "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl'', in which he is referring to the snow. I enjoy this type of writing because I feel as if I can see the bright white snow in my own mind. Owl Moon really puts the reader into the story and describes the outing in such a way that you feel like you must be quiet and brave as you tip-toe through the woods too. The author’s writing is so engaging, especially as Pa, the main character’s father, “hoos” at the owl. Also, the beautiful illustrations enhance the story, as if you were walking along the countryside and joining the adventure yourself. This is highlighted when the main character is entering the woods, and decides that she must be brave, “because when you go owling, you must be brave”. The illustrations paint the scary woods, in way may that even makes you not want to enter. Also, the illustration of the owl when they finally find him, paints of picture of the bold stare of the nocturnal owl, and you feel just as excited as if you found the owl with Pa. Last, I think the point of view in the story is very important. The main character is a young child, which may be a boy or a girl, and it is he/she’s first time owling. You get a sense that is it a tradition in their family, and the main character’s brothers have gone before. I think it highlights how important this tradition is to he/she’s family, and how he/she takes this very seriously. He/she dresses in their warmest clothes, he/she is as quiet, patient, and brave as they can be. He/she wants to show Pa that they are ready, and old enough to go on this owling journey. I think this story shows a message that if you are patient, brave, and do what you’re supposed to do then you will be rewarded in the end. Although this book may have many messages, I think that I would highlight these main points to my future class. I think it is a good message to send that the main character showed he/she’s father that she was mature enough to make this journey, and in the end, was rewarded of seeing the owl just as he/she’s brother have gotten to. ( )
  adyer4 | Feb 21, 2017 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Troost, Ernest V.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling —J. Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. —J. S.
It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you donʼt need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:16 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,316,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible