Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

A young boy and his dad go on an owl hunt. They search is silent because they didn't want to scare any owls away and are only guided by the bright moon because owls only come out at night. Their search continues until they finally come across an owl towards the end of the book.
  astinchavez | Oct 14, 2014 |
Owl Moon is a great story. I have always really enjoyed this book. The authors language is so descriptive, it feels as though I am standing in the story looking at everything that the author is describing. For example, the author says, "The shadows were the blackest things I had ever seen. They stained the white snow." I can picture in my mind exactly what the author is describing. I also liked that the point of view was first person. The point of view helped the story become more realistic and believable. I think there are a few messages that the author is trying to convey in this story. One of the messages is patience. Throughout the story, this little girl and her father are looking for an owl. Her father calls out to the owl a few times but no answer until finally, an owl responds. Another message I think the author is trying to convey is the beauty of nature. The way the author describes the trees and the snow shows how extraordinary nature really is. The final message that I think the author is trying to convey is the importance of family. The little girl says, "I had been waiting to go owling with Pa for a long, long time." This quote shows that this little girl really cherishes this moment with her father. ( )
  ckenne17 | Sep 23, 2014 |
In my opinion “Owl Moon” is a good book. I think this is a good book for children in Kindergarten-4th grade. The book is about a young girl who is going owling with her father. One thing I really liked about the book were the realistic illustrations. The setting is a farm and the illustrations show exactly what you would expect a farm to look like in the winter. The trees are dark and bare, there is snow on the ground. The illustrations do a good job of enhancing the story. I also like how the book is told from the girl’s point of view and it is very descriptive. When describing the snow on the ground the girl says “ The snow below it was whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl.” That statements paints a clear picture in the readers mind. The author also does a good job of telling us what the young girl is thinking. The young girl says “I’ve been waiting to go owling with Pa for a long, long time.” This tells the reader that she is excited. The big idea of the book is to emphasize the importance of family traditions ( )
  Chawki6 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Summary:
Owl Moon is a 1988 Caldecott Medal award winning children’s picture book. It’s about a little girl and her father, who go owling one late winter evening. The little girl has been waiting to go owling with her father for a long time, because her older brothers frequently go with him instead. Throughout their journey into the cold dark woods, the little girl describes everything her and her father see, hear and do with great descriptive imagery. As they reach the outskirts of the woods, her father hoots loudly like an owl, waiting for a return response. When they hear nothing, they journey farther into the woods to try for a second time. The little girl informs the reader that owling involves a lot of silence and even more hope.

Comments (arguments/opinions):
Although this book may seem very simple, I believe that it holds a lot of powerful meaning. The story really captivates how such a simple activity such as “owling” can mean so much to a child. I don’t think it was the actual activity that excited the little girl as much as it was the time she got to spend alone with her father. You can see her excitement when she says, “It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling,” and “I had been waiting to go owling with Pa for a long, long time.” I think the story also really captives the meaning of family relationships and traditions when she says, “My brothers all said sometimes there’s an owl and sometimes there isn’t.” This shows that not only has her father brought her to go owling, but that it’s a family tradition that he does with his whole family. It really captivates the meaning of spending quality time with family, even though the activity might be something simple. Although it’s simple, it means the world to the little girl to go on such a wondrous adventure. I also really liked this book because it has really strong descriptive imagery and a lot of metaphors. By using these writing strategies the author is able to create such a wonderful mental picture for the reader. The imagery in the quote, “I could feel the cold, as if someone’s icy hand was palm-down on my back,” really jumped out at me because I instantly almost felt it as I read. And the metaphor, “…and the snow below it was whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl,” made me picture this beautiful white snow that had never been walked on. The illustrator also does a great job using watercolors to paint these wonderful pictures that go along perfectly with the descriptive voice used in the words. ( )
  BrookeMattingly | Sep 16, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because of the language because it was very descriptive. I liked the use of metaphors, “The snow below it was whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl”. This metaphor visually helps the reader see exactly how white the snow was even in the evening. I also liked the use of exaggerations, “I listened and looked so hard my ears hurt and my eyes got cloudy with the cold”, and “for one minute, three minutes, maybe even a hundred minutes, we stared at one another”. Writing like this brings more character into the story instead of it being a vague description of a snowy night. I didn’t like this book because I did not see the educational point of the story. For my classroom, I would find this story appropriate because young readers would be interested in owl hunting and what it takes to find an owl moon. The purpose of this book is to read to young children as a bedtime story. The gentle, thoughtful illustrations contribute a lot to this book as a bed time story. ( )
  bigkristin | Sep 15, 2014 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling -J.Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. -J.S.
It is late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you don't need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:18 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible