Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

3,091None1,833 (4.15)19
Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

animals (94) award winner (20) birds (76) Caldecott (227) Caldecott Medal (78) children (46) children's (78) children's literature (32) family (139) father (28) fathers (35) fathers and daughters (32) FIAR (53) fiction (147) imagery (25) moon (99) nature (100) night (68) O (25) owling (19) owls (316) picture (26) picture book (276) poetry (38) realistic fiction (58) seasons (22) snow (114) visualizing (28) winter (334) word choice (23)
    Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

In this story a little girl goes Owl searching out in the cold as this is a tradition of theirs,and her father tells her she don't need to make noise for they do not need words.
Pierce College Library
Ages:4-8
  veronicar6189 | Mar 22, 2014 |
Beautiful watercolor illustrations complement a poetic story of a boy and his father looking for owls in the night. Their companionship in looking for the owl takes the center stage, and you get a sense youthful wonder, patience, and lessons learned. ( )
  jordan70 | Mar 17, 2014 |
I liked this book for many reasons. My favorite thing about this story was the descriptive language that the author used. The author uses descriptive language that touches on different senses, allowing the reader to imagine exactly what things looked, sounded, and felt like. For example, when describing the weather she says, "I could feel the cold as if someone's icy hand was palm down on my back." When describing walking in the snow she says, "are feet crunched over the crisp snow." The author continues to use these descriptions throughout the book. I felt like they really enhanced the story by allowing the reader to get lost in the story and picture themselves doing, seeing, and feeling these things. I also really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. The illustrator used very rich colors that attract the eye, and used various techniques to make the illustrations look realistic. For example, the illustrator used the trees of the shadows and other techniques to create distance in the illustration. I also liked that the illustrations provided a visual image of what is written in the text. For example, when the little girl is describing her and her fathers foot prints and shadows, the illustration provides a visual of the differences she describes in their steps and in their shadows. I believe that the big idea of this story is to inspire readers to experience the wonders of nature by telling a story of a girl and her father who were able to view a simple activity as a magical adventure! ( )
  kbarge1 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. First, I liked the writing and language used. The author's writing was very descriptive and engaging. Also, I really enjoyed the plot. I like that it was based off a family tradition. Finally, I really enjoyed that it was somewhat suspenseful. When they were looking for the owl they had to be very quite and still. The way the author described it made the experience very believable. I think the "big idea" is family traditions. After reading this book with a class or group of students it would be interesting to share a tradition each of them does with their family. ( )
  stoppe3 | Feb 26, 2014 |
Summary:
Owl Moon features a little girl and her father who go owling one winter night. The father calls Whoo-Whoo-Whoo but no answer. Words never come out of the father and daughters mouth, they walk silently while owling for you do not need words. All you need is hope, sometimes there is an owl and sometimes there isn't an owl.

Personal Reaction:
I learned so much about owling by reading this book. The little girl's first time to go and being so patient and quiet while walking. It is a loving experience and I am in awe for the hope of hearing an owl.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom, I would share this book with any nature lover. It would be a great book for hope getters looking for a close relationship with someone.
2. In addition, a study of night critters would help if you are walking alone in the dark. And how important it is to be very quiet and still to hear what someone or something that might be coming. ( )
  memre | Feb 12, 2014 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling -J.Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. -J.S.
It is late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you don't need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:18 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible