Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

I like this book. I like the pictures and characters. The pictures are detailed without being overpowering. In a way they make you imagine some things yourself. It shows scenery more than actions. The characters seem relate able to me. Even though you don't know much about the father I think that is an advantage because he can fit any father figure. The little boy doesn't have a definite age so it relates to a wide variety of students. Since the characters are very vague it made it easier for me to relate to them. The big idea is the importance of family traditions. ( )
  torilynae | Sep 13, 2014 |
This is one of the best books I have read so far. The author used outstanding figurative language throughout the story that allowed the audience to imagine exactly what was happening. There were multiple similes and hyperboles throughout the story such as, "when their voices faded away it was as quiet as a dream." As well as, “the snow below us was whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl.” Descriptive language is a great way to appeal to the readers emotions and invite them into the story. I also like how the author chose to only include two characters in this story. The story involves a little girl and her father going owling together. Revolving the story around these two characters allows the reader to be able to concentrate on the love and warmth that the story is based on. I believe that the overall message of this story is that patience, hope, and family can get you through anything! Many things are uncertain, but hope can lead you to many places; as it led this little girl and her father to see a beautiful owl on a beautiful night. ( )
  eschoe1 | Sep 13, 2014 |
This book is about a father and his child who spend time together while going "owling." The book is heart warming knowing the relationship between the father and the child. Great story to read together as a family on a cold winter day.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Summary:
Owl Moon is a story told by a little boy and his long anticipated journey. He was getting to go Owling for the first time. He soaks in every detail of his journey from how to call the owls, what the trees looked like, the sizes of his shadows, to how he should act while on this adventure. Seeing the owl in the spot light was the outcome he was hoping for. But the best part was getting to share the Owl Moon with his Pa.

Personal Reaction:
Our children watch what we do. And if they see that something is important to us they make it important to them. You can tell this little boy had dreamt of going Owling for a long time. He talks about how his brothers told him to act and he stuck to the rules. This was important to him because it was important to his Pa. Our children look up to us more than we realize sometimes.

Classroom Extension:
1. Research Owls in the classroom. And discuss the different kinds of owls.
2. Have the students write about an adventure they have taken with someone in their family, and describe what it was like.
  Tarakalynn | Jul 10, 2014 |
1988 Caldecott Medal. A young child and father go out to the snowy woods in search of owls. Peaceful prose with beautiful illustrations. ( )
  root.katy | Jun 8, 2014 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling -J.Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. -J.S.
It is late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you don't need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:18 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,713,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible