Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

3,3982021,589 (4.16)31
Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

More about the child and the father, and his lessons to the girl(?) about living with nature, and courage, and patience, etc. The expressions on the father's face could have been less ambiguous, imo. I don't see the 'stern' that other readers do. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
"Owl Moon" is a gentle poem about a father taking his daughter owling at night. I really enjoyed reading this book because of the way that Jane Yolen wrote it and its simple, soothing atmosphere. Jane Yolen does a fantastic job at using descriptive words to show the quietness and gentleness of going owling. The little girl in the story had to be very quiet and Jane Yolen let us know this in the writing. A favorite line of mine in this book is "The moon made his face into a silver mask." I like this line because it shows the personification of the moon in the story and its importance. The illustrations go along great with the quiet nature of the story. There are many pictures of snow filled woods, large shadows of tree, the glow of the moon, and animals sleeping in the trees. The message that I got out of this story is that if you don't give up and keep trying then you will be able to reach your goal. ( )
  bridgetmcnamara | Apr 14, 2015 |
The story takes place during a snowy, moon lit night when a young girl and a her father walk in the woods looking for owls. The two are very quiet walking among the forest and throughout their entire time together. The story is really all about the time spent together between a father and child. The language used in the story is descriptive and poem like, which is great for younger students. The illustrations used in the story really compliment the text and are very pretty.
  cwierz2 | Apr 7, 2015 |
I loved the book, Owl Moon, for many reasons. The first reason I enjoyed this book is because it shows a great example of a father and daughter, and their amazing relationship. In the story, the father takes his daughter out owling on a cold night. Another reason is because I really enjoyed the illustrations in the book. They were extremely detailed and as a reader, I was able to feel as if I was in the story at the time. The snow, owls, and woods were drawn using great detail, making the story look realistic. A large part of the story that stuck out to me was that there was no dialogue. This gave the reader a quiet feeling, but a touching one as well. the main idea of this book is to show a bond between a father and daughter and the experiences they go through together.
  Sberma5 | Mar 31, 2015 |
This story is about a little girl and her pa who set out on a cold winter night to go owling. They walk through the snow and find a place to stop. Her pa calls out 'Whoo" to the owls, but they get no response. Then they walk through some tall dark trees. She can't help but wonder what is lurking in those trees, but she makes sure she doesn't say anything because her pa and brothers told her you must be quiet when you go owling. They come to an opening in the trees and the moon is shining brightly above them. They stop and her pa calls out "Whoo" to the owls once again, and the time an owl calls back "Whoo" to them also. They go back and forth a couple of times and the owl gets closer. Her pa shines his flashlight on the owl and they watch him fly off. The little girl giggles and they are finally able to talk as they head back home.

Personal Reaction:
I think this is a really cute book. It reminds me of times when I was growing up and I knew I had to be quiet. I can think of a few times going fishing with my dad and grandpa. I wanted to play and skip rocks, but they always told me I would scare the fish off if I did, so I had to wait until we were done fishing to do so. But they are great memories nonetheless.

Classroom Extension:
1. When teaching about different birds and animals and the sounds they make, this would be a good book to read to the children because it has the "Whoo" sound in it often.
2. The book also references shadows a few times. She could see her and her pa's shadow on the bright snow as they were walking along. I could take the children outside so they can see their shadows, and we could talk about shadows then.
  Brandy9706 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling -J.Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. -J.S.
It is late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you don't need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:18 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,728,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible