Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

3,7192381,406 (4.16)32
Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

This book was a very engaging book. I like this book because of the style of the writing in the book. Through the writing, I felt as if I was actually in the book watching everything unfold. The characters in the story were simple, and easy to follow along with. The characters are very relatable to most readers, considering the character told his point of view, and everyone was once a kid and thought how he thinks as a young child. I also liked how the voices that the author gave to all of the other “things” in the book, stuck in my mind. For example, the voice that he gives the dog, I feel like I can actually hear in my head. The style of illustrations match the text perfectly, especially with the sense of imagery that the author conveys. ( )
  CarlyDeLauder | Mar 21, 2016 |
A young child and their father continue a patient tradition by going out at night to look for owld. The words and illustrations work together to create a peaceful, serene story that still captures the reader's attention. ( )
  catherineparry | Mar 12, 2016 |
Owl Moon was such a wonderful book. I liked this book for the following three reasons. First, I enjoyed the type of writing in the book. It had a poetic language to it and I felt as though it engaged me, the reader, much more because of this. Also, each page flowed naturally, when describing what else happened on the trip. It was very descriptive and gave me a good image of what the character was talking about. For example, "I could feel the cold, as if someone's icy hand was palm-down on my back." Not only could I imagine what the character was talking about, but this also gave the character itself a more believable role. This brings me to my second reason, which is that the character was very well-developed. The character was easy to relate to because he got to spend some one-on-one time with someone who meant a lot to him, in this case, his "Pa." Also, the character was really telling the story. He described everything that was going on then also gave voices to everything around him...his "Pa," the dogs, the train, and of course the owl. Lastly, not only was the writing engaging but the plot itself was as well. This whole time we are anticipating the moment where the young boy and his Pa will witness an owl. "My brothers all said sometimes there's an owl and sometimes there isn't." This made the reader think maybe they won't come face-to-face with an owl, but later the suspense builds and they finally get to see an owl. Overall, the story did well in capturing the moments of a fun adventure. ( )
  lnativ1 | Mar 7, 2016 |
This book would be a great book to read to a classroom to help them learn what descriptive words are and how to use them. There are smilies and metaphors to describe the beautiful forest outside. Children can relate to doing something new or going somewhere they have never been before and how excited or nervous they felt. They may also relate to the relationship they share with their father as the father taught his child many new things about owls and the outdoors. There are not many words in the reading so it allows the reader to interpretive the story in his or her own way. I love the feeling of peace that I get when reading this book. It is a great book to read before bed as the poetic versus can make anyone relaxed and serene. ( )
  Jcomfo1 | Mar 6, 2016 |
Owl Moon is a story in which a little boy and his father go “owling” one winter night. I enjoyed this book for three reasons. The first thing I noticed and really liked was Yolen’s ability to use imagery to create a setting. Even on the first page of the book Yolen writes “There was no wind. / The trees stood still /as giant statues. / And the moon was so bright / the sky seemed to shine.” The author’s words paint just as much of a picture in the reader’s head then the big beautiful illustrations do. Secondly, I really enjoyed the free verse writing style and the way Yolen chose to break up certain words by line to put emphasis on certain words. For example, she writes “we watched the line / of pine trees / black and pointy / against the sky.” Her style of writing helps compliment the aspect of being able to easily create a setting and help the audience picture the scene in their heads. Finally, I enjoyed that I could relate to the boy even though I had never been owling because the writing was so well done, it felt like I was in the story. Phrases like “I could feel the cold, / as if someone’s icy hand / was palm-down on my back” as well as the buildup; walking in the cold, standing in the cold, and calling without any calls back, we can understand the boy’s excitement when he finally gets to the see the owl. I really enjoyed this book!
  kamann1 | Mar 2, 2016 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling —J. Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. —J. S.
It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you donʼt need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:16 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible