Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Owl Moon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Jane Yolen

3,4482061,559 (4.16)31
Member:lmfox
Title:Owl Moon
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Philomel (1987), Edition: -, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

Whoo-Oo Is It? (Orchard Paperbacks) by Megan McDonald (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Equally serene and lyrical, with a few more wonderful owl sounds.
    Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (conuly)
    Night Gliders by Joanne Ryder (conuly)

Owl Moon is one of my all time favorites! I have used it every year in my 2nd grade class during writing workshop to show a wonderful example of small moment writing. I absolutely melt while reading the descriptive language and the use of similes (the snow was as white as the milk in a cereal bowl). You really feel as if you are going on this journey through the woods with the characters. Even my 2 year old daughter loves hearing me read it to her and joins in when we do our owl calls! The last page is my favorite... It's like a final message you can take away with you. A message directed towards owling, but something we can take and use in our own lives daily (you can find a poster of it on Pinterest- I printed it and hung it in my room!)
  LindsayReeves | Jun 11, 2015 |
Lovely art and a poetic story about a young girl who goes owling with her father. very picturesque and even though I have never been owling, this makes it sound mysterious and fun.
While some kids may find this boring, take your kids out into the woods or something one night to look for nocturnal animals. Then read this just to add and compare the experience. Lots of fun for the kids. Otherwise I advise, older, patient kids for reading this book.

Again, lots of praise for the artwork. It was beautiful and told a story all it's own. We could practically feel the cold, nippy air while reading this! ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
This story is very adventurous. Takes the reader on a journey with the main character and her father. This book has really great imagery!
  kes030 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This is poem book is about a father taking his daughter out owling one cold wintry night. This is a good book to look at poetry.
  peyrobs | Apr 27, 2015 |
More about the child and the father, and his lessons to the girl(?) about living with nature, and courage, and patience, etc. The expressions on the father's face could have been less ambiguous, imo. I don't see the 'stern' that other readers do. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
A gentle, poetic story that lovingly depicts the special companionship of a young child and her father as they take a nighttime stroll to look for owls. Complemented by award winning soft exquisite watercolor illustrations. Perfect for reading aloud and sharing at bedtime. 1988 Caldecott Medal, Notable Children's Book, Reading Rainbow selection. 1987, Philomel, $15.95. Ages 3 to 7.
added by kthomp25 | edit(Children's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Kenneth Marantz (The Five Owls, March/April 1988 (Vol. 2, No. 4))
The author of Owl Moon is one of the rarer breed of writers who take seriously the demanding task of creating texts for picture books without pandering. Although the story of going into a snow-blanketed forest with a full moon illuminating the darkness in search of an owl is told by a sixish-year-old girl, much of the syntax and vocabulary is adult. It's as if a woman were telling us (using the present tense) of a fondly remembered high point of her childhood. The parent-child bonding shines clearly between the lines as the pair trudge silently, attending to the woodsy stillness and listening for the "whoooo" that signals success. Simple but convincing, the warmth of the experience is kindled by the sensitively chosen words. Schoenherr's transparent watercolors take advantage of the white paper by evoking images of moonlight-splashed fields and luminescent patches of night sky. Father and daughter are honestly painted figures animated by strategically drawn black lines. Barest backgrounds are like stage flats, suggestions of pine trees. The text is set in short-lined vertical blocks in white spaces left barren for the purpose on the double-page spreads. Overall, the visual setting is competent, although the use of a heavily glazed paper destroys much of the subtlety of the watercolor medium. But the realism of the paintings fails to take proper advantage of the emotional content of the words. 1987, Philomel, $13.95. Ages 4 to 8.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Kenneth Marantz

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my husband, David, who took all of our children owling -J.Y.
To my granddaughter, Nyssa, for when she is old enough to go owling. -J.S.
It is late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling.
We watched silently with heat in our mouths, the heat of all those words we had not spoken.
When you go owling you don't need words or warm or anything but hope.

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399214577, Hardcover)

Among the greatest charms of children is their ability to view a simple activity as a magical adventure. Such as a walk in the woods late at night. Jane Yolen captures this wonderment in a book whose charm rises from its simplicity. "It was late one winter night, long past my bedtime, when Pa and I went owling." The two walked through the woods with nothing but hope and each other in a journey that will fascinate many a child. John Schoenherr's illustrations help bring richness to the countryside adventure. The book won the 1988 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:16 -0400)

On a winter's night under a full moon, a father and daughter trek into the woods to see the Great Horned Owl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,935,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible