Genies Don't Ride Bicycles by Debbie Dadey

Genies Don't Ride Bicycles

by Debbie Dadey, Marcia Thornton Jones

The message in Genies Don't Ride Bicycles is to be careful for what you wish for, and instead of just making wishes- go out and do something about what you want. In my opinion this is a pretty good book. One reason I liked this book is the plot is suspenseful, and has a clear problem and solution. The book starts with four kids opening a bottle with a genie in it, and they end up making wishes that are good for a little bit but in the end cause tremendous problems. As the story goes on the problems add up until they decide their solution to all their problems will be to ask the Genie to make everything the way it was in the beginning. A second reason I like this book is the characters are very believable and readers can relate to the characters. For example, when Eddie's friends are asking him is he has a crush on Carey, Eddie says "Just because I was nice to her doesn't mean I like her" and his face turned red. This is a similar reaction that elementary school boys would have. The kids also wish for things like pizza and chocolate for lunch which is something childlike and relatable. Finally, I think this book pushes readers to think about making wishes. Most people think after they make wishes that come true that everything will be perfect, but at the end of this book the reader sees how awful their wishes turned out to be. I think it teaches the reader to be careful what you wish for. ( )
  baileywysong | Nov 27, 2016 |
A silly series that creates more questions than it answers. It's great for formulating theories as well as predictions. The class dynamics should be very familiar to those of the Magic School Bus generation.
  benuathanasia | Sep 12, 2012 |
Do Genies exist? I'm sure we all wish they did at sometime. This is the story about four kids that find a bottle and open it. The smell is awful and they throw the bottle in this empty yard.

They are walking away and one of the girls wishes the place was as clean as all the other houses and had lights for Christmas. The wishes the kids ask for are some that every kid would love but then realize how difficult it is to still do things when they are up all night, eating nothing but junk etc. ( )
  crazy4reading | Aug 12, 2011 |
When the Bailey School kids find an old bottle and open its stopper their wishes start to come true, and they wonder if the new man in town might just be a genie.
  211Fern | Mar 3, 2011 |

Debbie Dadeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jones, Marcia Thorntonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurney, John StevenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible