Where Butterflies Grow (Picture Puffins) by…

Where Butterflies Grow (Picture Puffins)

by Joanne Ryder

Other authors: Lynne Cherry (Illustrator)

a discussion of where butterflies grow and how they are necessary for the environment
1 book
  TUCC | Jan 17, 2017 |
A vividly illustrated book about the life-cycle of the Black Swallowtail butterfly. Takes you from an egg to caterpillar on to butterfly. What the caterpillar eats and how they build a chrysalis. At the end, there is a page about growing your own butterflies, a great experiment with the children.
  katinasea | Feb 21, 2016 |
33 months - A beautiful book! So glad I grabbed this one at the thrift store. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This may be my new favorite book of all time. I'm constantly looking for insect/animal/nature books to read to my students/have my students read. If I can't physically take them into nature to teach reading, then I'm pretty insistent that they learn nature through reading.

This is an explanatory, nonfiction narrative that follows the life of a freshly hatched caterpillar into its adult, butterfly state.

The illustrations alone offer a wealth of 'imagined reading'. They're full of detail and very realistic. The pictures make for perfect "I Spy.." types of games, or just additional questions about what else is visible, what those insects'/animals' stories may be, etc.

The 'story' alone isn't terribly exciting---unless you're fascinated by bugs, which I am---but I realize not all kids are. That being said, I think this story would be excellent independent reading material for kids who already have an interest in butterflies. Kids who don't already have a strong curiosity about insects may benefit more from hearing the story very expressively read aloud to them. ( )
  jamdwhitt | Feb 16, 2015 |
The book beautifully illustrates the life cycle of the butterfly from start to finish. Teacher info included.

Ages: 5-8

Pierce College Library
  judydeja | Sep 21, 2014 |

Joanne Ryderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cherry, LynneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Describes what it feels like to change from a caterpillar into a butterfly. Includes gardening tips to attract butterflies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,009,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible