The Mitten by Jan Brett

The Mitten (edition 1989)

by Jan Brett

Title:The Mitten
Authors:Jan Brett
Info:Putnam Juvenile (1989), Edition: REI/CAS, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Children's Fiction

The Mitten by Jan Brett

The genre of the Mitten is folktale. Nicky wanted his mittens to be made with yarn as white as snow but his grandma did not want that because it could be easily lost. She says that when he gets home she will check if he still has them. It was not long until he lost his mitten and animals started to turn the mitten into a shelter. When the bear sneezed the mitten flew up and into Nicky's hand.
  kbuffum13 | Nov 24, 2015 |
I wasn't a huge fan of this book originally when we first picked it up at Goodwill in 2010 but it has grown on me as have many of Jan Brett's books. I love that little to none of the original story has been lost in this board book version. Brett has a unique Northern European style to her illustrations that is very detailed and fun to spend time looking at. The stories she writes are wonderful folk tales. Can you imagine mitten that could house a bear?!? ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
The Mitten by Jan Brett is a fantastically illustrated book. We first see a little hedgehog who finds a mitten dropped by a child in the woods during winter. As it gets stuck to the poor animal other animals become jealous of how warm, and cozy he is. Soon a large number of animals are trying to fit into it such as an owl, a bear, and a badger just to name a few. Although this book does little to help teach any core values it is still a fantastic book to read to children around kindergarten. The children will love the detail that is put into the animals in the story. It has a tremendous effect on us as minnesotans because we can almost feel the cold wind come off the pages. ( )
  cross67 | Oct 19, 2015 |
I have always been a fan of Jan Brett’s work since my father read me Gingerbread Baby every night. The Mitten is no exception with its vibrant illustrations and suspenseful dialogue. I love how Jan Brett illustrates foreshadowing on the side panels. The reader can see a snippet of what is to come on the next page. Specifically, as animals fill the mitten, the panel shows the next animal which will stumble upon the boy’s white mitten. There are also sneaky pictures of what animals are hiding inside logs, under rocks, etc. I like that the reader sees more than the main character. I enjoy the humor woven in, like when the bear sneezes and every animal shoots out of the mitten. One complaint I have is the little boy has little to no characterization. We just know he wants white mittens from his grandmother, but this does put a nice emphasis on the various animals. This book shows the message of humor and animal intelligence. It is more of a fun story to share for its illustrations. ( )
  NatalieBonnington | Oct 5, 2015 |
This is such a cute book! The characters are very well-developed because of how believable this author illustrated the characters when making room for other animals within the mitten. It was a good plot because the little boy's grandmother told him not to lose his mittens, but he did to the animals. He eventually gets his mitten just before he goes back to his grandmother's house. It kept the reader wondering whether or not he was going to have the mitten back in time. The purpose of this story is to stretch the imagination of children, when all of the animals try to squeeze into the mitten. It also pushes readers to think about how they could help others. For example, the little boy allowed the animals to stay in the mitten because he could have thought they were cold. Overall, great read! ( )
  bemory1 | Oct 1, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039921920X, Hardcover)

A Ukrainian boy named Nicki wants his grandmother Baba to knit snow-white mittens for him. She warns her grandson that a white mitten will be hard to find if he loses it in the snow, but of course he promptly does just that! What happens next is the surprising part, as a mole takes refuge in the lost mitten, then a rabbit, then a hedgehog, an owl, a badger, and a fox. If you think the mitten might be a wee bit stretched out at this point, just wait: "Then a big bear sniffed at the mitten. The animals were packed in tight, but the bear didn't care. He crawled in anyway." When a tiny mouse squeezes in, her whiskers tickle the bear's nose. He sneezes, and "Aaaaa-aaaaa-ca-chew!" all the animals fly out of their crocheted cave. As the mitten sails through the air, Nicki spots it, reclaims it, and takes it home to show his smiling Baba.

Jan Brett is the illustrator of many well-known folktales, fairy tales, and poems, such as Goldilocks and the Three Bears and The Owl and the Pussycat, by Edward Lear. Her special signature in her detailed artwork is the intricate borders, seen in this book as birch-bark panels with embroidered details and mitten-shaped vignettes offering additional insights into the story line. Brett is at her best when she illustrates animals, and the expressions on the faces of her creatures are a delight. She carefully researched the costumes, furniture, and house in this traditional Ukrainian tale--all are authentic. A fine story to read on a frosty night with a cup of hot chocolate, and if you ever get your fill of The Mitten, you can always try its delightfully original companion book, The Hat, winner of the 1998 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

Several animals sleep snugly in Nicki's lost mitten until the bear sneezes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible