The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown

The Runaway Bunny (original 1942; edition 2005)

by Margaret Wise Brown

Member:ashbrau
Title:The Runaway Bunny
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:***
Tags:classic, bunny, family, picture-books

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (1942)

Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney (conuly)
    Little White Rabbit by Kevin Henkes (paulkid)
    paulkid: Transfiguration of rabbits is a common theme of these books.

Summary of Book: This story is about a bunny and his mother. The bunny wants to keep running away from his mother and every time he does, the mother follows. It shows the mothers undying devotion to follow her little bunny “anywhere he goes, she will follow” mentality. In the end, the bunny decides to stay put because he realizes that he will never be separated from parental love and care.

Personal Reaction to the Book: This book makes me think about my little Anna who recently learned to walk. I follow her around the house all the time; she sometimes tries to “run” from me while squealing. I think in her mind, it’s like a game to see if I’ll follow her, much like the bunny probably in the story.

Extension Ideas:
1.This book could be used for young children to begin in helping them understand that nothing can replace their parents love and affection. Parents aren’t just these “authoritative type figures to do commanding”.
2.Children could pretend to be the bunny during a game at recess. The person who is “it” could pretend to be the mother bunny in the story, seeking out her child. Each child could take turns being the mother bunny. ( )
  sean_s | Jan 29, 2017 |
a little bunny is running around in the meadow and exploring the different aspects of the meadow with his mother
3 books
  TUCC | Jan 17, 2017 |
This is a fantasy because the animals can talk, do things that are human, like talk, and joins a circus, among other things. It is a lovely little story about a little bunny who is debating leaving home, but his mother convinces him to stay. It's a story about how children will always be welcome in their parents house.
  rwild13 | Nov 21, 2016 |
Mom's a stalker?! I don't understand the reviews that say that. My three sons and I absolutely loved this. It's about the baby asking for reassurance that mom will do everything in her power to be available to her child. And that's sweet, not stalking. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a great children's book. The characters is the first thing that pulled my into the book. This book shows how much a mother cares for its baby no matter if its an animal or a person, it also show the great lengths a mother would go through to keep her child safe. The point of view is also good for children at a young age because it shows the babies point of view and then the mothers point of view in every situation. I think the big idea of this book is to show how important a mothers relationship is with her child, also to show students that even animals can show the emotion of love. ( )
  mhernd3 | Mar 30, 2016 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anhava, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061074292, Board book)

Since its publication in 1942, The Runaway Bunny has never been out of print. Generations of sleepy children and grateful parents have loved the classics of Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd, including Goodnight Moon. The Runaway Bunny begins with a young bunny who decides to run away: "'If you run away,' said his mother, 'I will run after you. For you are my little bunny.'" And so begins a delightful, imaginary game of chase. No matter how many forms the little bunny takes--a fish in a stream, a crocus in a hidden garden, a rock on a mountain--his steadfast, adoring, protective mother finds a way of retrieving him. The soothing rhythm of the bunny banter--along with the surreal, dream-like pictures--never fail to infuse young readers with a complete sense of security and peace. For any small child who has toyed with the idea of running away or testing the strength of Mom's love, this old favorite will comfort and reassure. (Baby to preschool)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

A little rabbit who wants to run away tells his mother how he will elude her, and each time she responds by describing how she will find him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,500,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible