The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown

The Runaway Bunny (original 1942; edition 2005)

by Margaret Wise Brown

Member:ashbrau
Title:The Runaway Bunny
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Storytime Collection, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:classic, bunny, family

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (1942)

animals (122) BFIAR (32) board book (175) bunnies (164) children (108) children's (173) children's book (28) children's books (26) children's fiction (26) children's literature (64) classic (37) classics (32) Easter (44) family (168) fiction (175) juvenile (23) kids (31) love (133) Margaret Wise Brown (21) mother (57) mother and child (39) mothers (71) own (24) picture (25) picture book (237) rabbits (188) read (27) runaway (23) running away (59) spring (37)

I like the picture book size book of this book! I like to show the children how the pages will alternate between b & w illustrations and colored illustrations. Before I turn the page to the colored one I say, "and it looked like this...". This heartwarming book shows how much mother cares for baby bunny--she will follow him anywhere and dress up as anything!! Adorable! ( )
  emtimmins | Apr 17, 2014 |
I liked The Runaway Bunny, but I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I had remembered this book as a young child, but needed to refresh my memory. After reading so many other children’s books with more color and action, this one seemed a bit boring. But upon further research, I found this book is intended for younger readers K-2, not 4th or 5th graders, so I decided to look at it from another angle. Overall, I loved the characters, the plot, and the point of view. The mother and little bunny were definitely believable. The little bunny came up with so many creative ideas to run away from his mother, but in the end he realized he should just stay at home beside his mother. The mother just shows how much love a parents has for their child. Children could easily relate this story to their own lives, thinking about how much their parents love them. Being written in narrative voice and having the little bunny tell the story, makes it feel more realistic. The reader has a sense that they are there with the bunnies and part of the story. For example, “’If you become a little boy and run into a house’, said the mother bunny, ‘I will become your mother and catch you in my arms and hug you.’” This helps the reader imagine it happening before turning the page to the colored illustration of it actually happening. The overall message of this classic, was parents and the love between a child and their mother. ( )
  esiera1 | Feb 27, 2014 |
A picture book by the classic author, Margaret Wise Brown, being not so popular as her Good Night Moon, but full of the same warm charm. In this story, a baby bunny asks his mom what she would do if he ran away from her. Her answer - that she would chase after and find him - is not satisfactory, so he begins elaborating on his getaways, going further, hiding better, and even transforming himself into other objects. In each case, the clever mother devises a strategy that will allow her to reunite with her precious child. At last, satisfied that his mother is there to stay, the little bunny realizes that he only has one place to go for now ... home. The delicately detailed illustrations are as integral to the book as the text. After each question and answer, the next two-page spread is a large picture that brings to vivid life their hypothetical situation. The colors are soft, with soothing blues and greens, and the white bunnies are easy to find. The beautiful illustrations complement this book in theme and subject.

I miss the lyricism of Good Night Moon, but the writing is still tight. The author allows the reader to infer and interpret. For instance, why does the bunny want to run away? We can assume that he is upset with his mother, as children so often are, but also the idea of a child's independence is woven throughout. At this age, children are still tied to their parents, but in the future, they will be moving further away, and this bittersweet refrain is a subtle subtext in the story. More powerful is the idea of a mother's protection, and her insistent love that never stops. Also, that the mother will always be there for the child, no matter what paths he may take. As the game continues, the reader gets the sense that the bunny is not angry anymore, and is enjoying this give-and-take exchange. Clearly, by the end of their dialogue, the bunny is happy and relieved that his mother will never leave him, or let him leave her. The story itself is quite simple, though, allowing young readers to easily enjoy it, while these deeper meanings seep through the words and the pictures. This is a wonderful picture book to read aloud to your children, one that conveys imagination and reassurance. ( )
1 vote nmhale | Jun 16, 2013 |
I really liked the art in this book and how the mother would always be part of where the boy went.
  Ashabani | Jun 11, 2013 |
Sweet, but this book doesn't hold a candle to Margaret Wise Brown's Goodnight Moon. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jun 9, 2013 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anhava, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061074292, Board book)

Since its publication in 1942, The Runaway Bunny has never been out of print. Generations of sleepy children and grateful parents have loved the classics of Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd, including Goodnight Moon. The Runaway Bunny begins with a young bunny who decides to run away: "'If you run away,' said his mother, 'I will run after you. For you are my little bunny.'" And so begins a delightful, imaginary game of chase. No matter how many forms the little bunny takes--a fish in a stream, a crocus in a hidden garden, a rock on a mountain--his steadfast, adoring, protective mother finds a way of retrieving him. The soothing rhythm of the bunny banter--along with the surreal, dream-like pictures--never fail to infuse young readers with a complete sense of security and peace. For any small child who has toyed with the idea of running away or testing the strength of Mom's love, this old favorite will comfort and reassure. (Baby to preschool)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:27 -0400)

A little rabbit who wants to run away tells his mother how he will escape, but she is always right behind him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible