Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation

by Pam England

Here is a holistic approach to childbirth that examines this profound rite-of-passage not as a medical event but as an act of self-discovery. Exercises and activities such as journal writing, meditation, and painting will help mothers analyze their thoughts and face their fears during pregnancy. For use during birth, the book offers proven techniques for coping with labor pain without drugs, a discussion of the doctor or midwife’s role, and a look at the father’s responsibilities. Childbirth education should also include what to expect after the baby is born. Here are baby basics, such as how to bathe a newborn, how to get the little one to sleep, and tips for getting nursing off to a good start. Pregnancy, birth, and postpartum is a process of continuous learning and adjustment; Birthing From Within provides the necessary support and education to make each phase of birthing a rewarding experience.… (more)

A MUST have, MUST read for any expectant mother who is choosing natural childbirth. At first it may seem "granola" or "hippie-dippy", but the exercises in this book are amazing. Truly a mind, body and spirit support system. This book helped me prepare and birth my daughter naturally and without fear. I cannot recommend this book enough. ( )
  SweetTawnie | Feb 5, 2014 |
this is not a bad book but it's just a little too new-age/metaphysical/"spiritual" for me. if you have a higher tolerance for that, then this book will be wonderful. for me, there was certainly some good content here; i just had to skip the sections on painting what birth means to you or unleashing your birthing tiger. ok, i'm making that up but you know what i mean. i am very passionate about natural birth but i tend to find the practical and biological arguments (it's safer for mom & baby; it makes nursing easier; it helps facilitate the "love" hormones; medical interventions are often risky and not based on good science; it is a more gentle transition for the baby, etc.) more convincing than the spiritual. ( )
1 vote julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
I was almost put off this book at first glance by the sections on birth art, which is simply not my cup of tea. I will not be making any drawings or sculptures or belly casts, but if you think that sounds fun, this is definitely your book.

But I read the book anyway, and I’m glad I did. It’s the most realistic of all the natural childbirth books I’ve read, which is to say it acknowledges that most of the people reading it will be having their babies in the hospital. It has suggestions that are practical, while discouraging the parents-to-be from getting into an adversarial relationship with their care providers. (Not that they aren’t encouraged to ask questions and stand up for themselves--on the contrary.) The basic idea here is that childbirth preparation is more about the mother-to-be knowing herself and facing her fears and assumptions rather than mastering certain techniques; there’s a particularly strong contrast with the Bradley method, in which the mother is “trained” and the father “coaches” her. In fact, Birthing from Within discourages the idea of “coaching” at all, suggesting as it does that someone is directing the mother. ( )
2 vote jholcomb | Feb 7, 2012 |
Great book about preparing for childbirth ( )
  rfewell | Jan 27, 2009 |
I read this in preparation for my childbirth classes that start next week. It's a wonderful book, but it's a lot to take in. I'm glad I'll have the classes to help reinforce some of it. However, I didn't do the exercises as I was reading. Maybe it would have stuck more if I had tried them as I went along. ( )
  kellyholmes | Jan 6, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,646,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible