The Great Brain Book: An Inside Look At The…

The Great Brain Book: An Inside Look At The Inside Of Your Head

by HP Newquist

This book was very informative. The author did a great job at presenting the many amazing things about the brain. He gave great text detailed explanation and provided colorful diagrams, although I thought he simplified a few topics too much. Overall though, this book was great.
Although it was a fun read, it was a long book and I thought I would never finish. I also believe that this book could have used a glossary and I was disappointed to not see one. The table of contents was in an easy to understand format though. Each title was bolded and each sub-topic within the main chapter topic was displayed with page numbers for reference. He also provided a list of “some” of the sources he used for this book and an index.
The author provided the information in a nice order. First he provided a conceptual background about the history of the human understanding of the brain, why we would need a brain, and then which each specific brain function does. He went into good detail about the types of neurons and their specific functions, but not too much. In the end he discusses the many ways the brain can be studied in the future, hence; opening the door toward future research.
The only middle school student I could see wanting to spend that much time reading this book would have to be very self-motivated about biology. I could introduce it to the students of a middle school classroom, along with many other books, during a lesson on human biology. Since it is so long I am not sure that the intended audience would read the whole book. It is an excellent book for students to use a resource for information about brains.
  777100987 | Mar 27, 2013 |

The anatomy, functions, surgery, care and feeding, historical discovery, and imminent improvements of this complex and powerful organ in an "oh-wow!" package. High interest with just a touch of yuck.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:48 -0400)

Understanding the brain is one of the biggest challenges facing scientists. We still don't know how the brain creates thoughts! Newquist peels back the layers of the brain to explain what it's made of, how it works, and how to make your brain work for you. From eyeballs to neurons, vivid illustrations show pieces of its complex structure. The historical chapter details how Egyptians scooped out the brains of mummies, and how phrenology developed. Brain surgery and brain abnormalities are explained, as is the function of sleep and dreams. An informal and intriguing look inside your head.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible