Mommy, Mama, and Me by Lesléa Newman

Mommy, Mama, and Me (2009)

by Lesléa Newman

I really enjoyed this book! Since the author describes a family that has two moms and one daughter, it introduces children to a sensitive subject.Therefore, this book would be a great resource for educating young readers about the LGBT community. Instead of putting a negative view on the subject, the author described the LGBT community in a positive manner. For example, the author wrote, "Mommy packs a yummy snack. Mama rides me on her back." The author is able to write all of these positive experiences that children can have with gay parents, which is very important for children to know. The central message is family.

Summary: This book quickly describes the life of a child who has two mothers. Even though her parents are the same gender, the child is still able to have a fun filled childhood. ( )
  ahanch1 | Oct 15, 2014 |
Summary: "Mommy, Mama, and Me" is a book that is written from the child's perspective in order to describe the numerous things the child's mothers do for him/her during the day.

Review: The central message of "Mommy, Mama, and Me" is that both of the child's mothers do numerous great things for the child. Over the course of the book, the child describes activities they do together such as "Mama and I slide to the ground" and "Mommy and I go round and round." In my opinion, the use of repetition and rhyme schemes were a great addition to help the author convey her message. The repetition and rhyme schemes helped capture the attention of the reader, since all the book does is list activities the child does with his/her mothers. ( )
  rjones34 | Sep 29, 2014 |
I like this book for multiple reasons. The first reason why I liked this book was because the way that it rhymes. Rhyming books are more interesting to read for some children. They can also be easier. “Mommy hugs me on her lap. Mama lays me on her lap. Mommy lets me help her cook. Mama helps me read a book.” The second reason why I liked this book was because of the lesson and background that the story had. What this book is trying to point out, is that there is a special and loving bond between same-sex parents just as there are with different guardians/parents. Your Mommy can pick you up, and your Daddy, Mama, Uncle, Aunt, Grandfather, etc., can pour juice in your cup. There can be two mommy households, two daddy households, or even households with grandparents as the guardians of the children. Regardless, they are families, and families love each other. I also like this book because it is different. This is the first book that I have read or been aware of that include same-sex parents. This book is not only different, but it is unique, in a sense that there aren’t many like it. Lastly, I like this book because although it is unique with the child having two mommys, the story centers on ordinary events that a baby or a toddler has in life. This includes eating, napping, bathing, going to the park, etc., all things that every child does, no matter who they are raised by. The main idea of this book is to show that there are different households that don’t just have a mom and a dad, and yet, there is still a significance of love no matter what. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 22, 2014 |
A toddler spending time with its two moms.

Age: 4-5

Source: Pierce County Library
  jessica_5906 | May 17, 2014 |
“Mommy, Mama and Me” is a very cute children’s book that has the main message that all families may not look the same but they are still families full of love. This is conveyed through the illustrations and the language. The illustrations within this book were captivating wit the use of color. Each page either had a whit background or a light color background causing me the reader to focus on the content in the book and the illustrations that were accompanying them. I also enjoyed the writing style because it was a rhyming style that pulled me into the book even more. As I read I had not noticed this though. I also like how the use of Mommy and Mama are used for the signify different people in this book but usually the signify one person. I enjoyed reading this and understanding that the use of those words were not an exchange but a name. ( )
  KiTiraShorter | May 5, 2014 |
For the fabulous Barber-Just family: Henry and Jackson and their two moms, Sara and Christina -- L.N.

For Ian -- C.T.

A baby enjoys a number of fun activities with her two mothers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,395,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible