Mommy, Mama, and Me by Lesléa Newman

Mommy, Mama, and Me (2009)

by Lesléa Newman

120None99,996 (4.31)1

Colorful illustration's depicting daily interactions by families.
Source: pierce college
Age: 0 - 2
  people65 | Nov 11, 2013 |
Colorful illustration's depicting daily interactions by families.
Source: DuPont Library
Age: 0 - 2 ( )
  TimberlyG | Oct 27, 2013 |
A book that describes a little girls day with two moms.
  Karen_Curtis_Wood | Oct 23, 2013 |
Though this was a short book, I enjoyed reading it for many reasons. I liked the flow of the book because each page included rhyming. I liked the illustrations because clearly this book is about a young child with parents of the same gender. Every illustration displays how happy these two parents are to be with their child and to me I took the illustrations as representations of them being good parents. I liked the author's message that it's completely normal to have parents of the same gender. I liked that this book was meant for a younger age because it's showing kids at fairly early age that this is normal in our society. I think the author also was trying to display acceptance because reading this may change a person or even child's view of how parents can be like. ( )
  ewestr1 | Oct 8, 2013 |
In this reassuring board book a neutral-gendered young child describes an idealized day with their parents: cuddling, visiting the park, taking a bath, and finally going to sleep. The text flows easily in rhymed couplets on each pair of pages, with mommy and child on one page, and mama and child on the mirroring page. In this way, the focus of both the text and illustrations remains firmly on the experience of the young child and their close and loving relationship with their parents, separately and together. Mama and Mommy are not seen together on the same page until the last double page spread when they kiss their young child goodnight. The illustrations are soft but not cartoonish and detailed enough to keep a child’s interest, and colors are saturated. Sentences are short and readers could discuss the similarities and differences between what the family in the book does and what they do, though most events in the book, like hair combing and going to the park, are universal. The parents are a same-gender couple but this book could easily be read to any child to reassure them of their parents’ love and the fun things they do together. Highly recommended. ( )
  kahansen | Oct 5, 2013 |
For the fabulous Barber-Just family: Henry and Jackson and their two moms, Sara and Christina -- L.N.

For Ian -- C.T.

A baby enjoys a number of fun activities with her two mothers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible