Mommy, Mama, and Me by Lesléa Newman

Mommy, Mama, and Me (2009)

by Lesléa Newman

In my opinion, this is a phenomenal book. I really liked that the author used different names for each mother. I also liked that the illustration mirrored each sentence in the book. I enjoyed that the author turned the story into somewhat of a poem. The character descriptions were accurate with each sentence. Finally, this book pushed readers to think about fellow students or friends who could come from a different type of family than them. ( )
  AliciaTrotman | Feb 17, 2015 |
A young boy spends the day with his two mommies.
Ages: 3-7
Source: Amazon
  amandapanda613 | Dec 7, 2014 |
Mommy, Mama, and Me is a great and simple exposition of same-sex parents. It's not an incredibly complex plot; it's just a book about things that this child does with Mama and with Mommy. It's also a great book to have for representation. What's really wonderful is that there's also a version of this book called Daddy, Papa and Me that's also about things that a child does with their same-sex parents. One thing that I very much like about these two books is that they're meant for early readers. There aren't too many words on each page, and there isn't a lot of plot. This makes the books and the concept accessible to a wider range of readers. ( )
  hphipp2 | Dec 5, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book! Since the author describes a family that has two moms and one daughter, it introduces children to a sensitive subject.Therefore, this book would be a great resource for educating young readers about the LGBT community. Instead of putting a negative view on the subject, the author described the LGBT community in a positive manner. For example, the author wrote, "Mommy packs a yummy snack. Mama rides me on her back." The author is able to write all of these positive experiences that children can have with gay parents, which is very important for children to know. The central message is family.

Summary: This book quickly describes the life of a child who has two mothers. Even though her parents are the same gender, the child is still able to have a fun filled childhood. ( )
  ahanch1 | Oct 15, 2014 |
Summary: "Mommy, Mama, and Me" is a book that is written from the child's perspective in order to describe the numerous things the child's mothers do for him/her during the day.

Review: The central message of "Mommy, Mama, and Me" is that both of the child's mothers do numerous great things for the child. Over the course of the book, the child describes activities they do together such as "Mama and I slide to the ground" and "Mommy and I go round and round." In my opinion, the use of repetition and rhyme schemes were a great addition to help the author convey her message. The repetition and rhyme schemes helped capture the attention of the reader, since all the book does is list activities the child does with his/her mothers. ( )
  rjones34 | Sep 29, 2014 |
For the fabulous Barber-Just family: Henry and Jackson and their two moms, Sara and Christina -- L.N.

For Ian -- C.T.

A baby enjoys a number of fun activities with her two mothers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,745,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible