Hob and the Goblins by William Mayne

Hob and the Goblins

by William Mayne

Series: Hob Stories

Before Rowling (Dobby the house elf even talks like Hob) and before Gaiman (old magic in the modern world, as in American Gods and The Graveyard Book) there was this snip of enchantment. Begins on a bus route in today's London, refers to Wales (cutch), ends with the implied reminder that evil can never be completely conquered, anywhere in the world. It can be read by anyone who likes slightly creepy magic with a modern family and a ancient curse... and the brave little creature who will manage to save them from the goblins, their children, and their King. The illustrations are silhouette-style drawings formed to the initial letter of each chapter - perfect fit for the subject, style, and structure of the book. What is likely to interest some readers a lot, and possibly turn off others, is the language - it's almost like word-play, almost like poetry, and utterly bewitching. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I bought this book to ogle the beautiful initial caps, so I'm not awfully disappointed that I'm bored with the story before getting half way through.
  KaterinaBead | Feb 21, 2012 |
I was not overly impressed with this book, though there were certainly moments that I appreciated. The story of a Hob, and how he comes to help a family despite his lack of confidence (or memory) in himself is a fun read, and often lyrical in ways I would not have put together myself.

Though there are moments that I wish the story would have progressed more quickly (and others where I wish Mayne had taken a bit more time to develop the story), all in all, it was worthy of a few nights of time, reading a bedtime story to my 18 month old.

Just wasn't worth much more than that, in this reader's opinion. ( )
1 vote HippieLunatic | Mar 31, 2009 |

William Mayneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Messenger, NormanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A novel about Hob, the invisible house-spirit. The author conjures up a visual language that takes form in spooky images of dwarves, witches, goblins and gremlins. The illustrator has created a special Hob alphabet that neatly compliments this imagery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:42 -0400)

Hob, the friendly spirit who lives under the stairs and protects the house, must do battle with a variety of evil beings trying to take control of his family's home.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible