Clockers: A Novel by Richard Price

Clockers: A Novel (original 1992; edition 2008)

by Richard Price (Author)

When a man steps forward to confess to a drugs related murder, Detective Rocco Klein has no sense of the case being anything special. A little background research reveals however, that he has never been in any trouble whereas his brother runs a crew of street corner cocaine dealers.
Member:jSummer
Title:Clockers: A Novel
Authors:Richard Price (Author)
Info:Picador (2008), Edition: First, 611 pages
Rating:*****

Clockers by Richard Price (Author) (1992)

There was a time in my life when I held The Wire in an esteem normally reserved for religious figures and I always figured that [b:Clockers|45794|Clockers|Richard Price|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1170298592l/45794._SX50_.jpg|1808654]- which has ties to the show through its content and its author - would someday move onto my read list. It was worth the wait. No histrionics or nonsense here - just a story of a kid trying to move drugs and the story of a cop trying to solve a murder and the way in which each story gets entangled in the other. A must read for fans of crime novels. ( )
  millerkr | Jul 28, 2020 |
This 550+ page novel is simply brilliant from beginning to end. At first, you'll be struck by the similarities to HBO's The Wire--and no wonder, since Price worked (many years later) on the Wire with David Simon. There is a scene in Clockers, for instance, where the drug dealers and off duty cops meet at a movie theater and are amazed to see that each other have lives outside of their opposing businesses. This scene was echoed in The Wire. But fairly early on, the stories diverge quite a bit. Unlike the sprawling multiple story lines that The Wire followed, Clockers focuses its alternating chapters on two characters--Strike, the boss of the "clockers" (small-time drug dealers who sell to people on the corner). Strike is the one who gets to sit in the middle of things on a bench as the overseer, working for the scary but shrewd Rodney Little. The police chapters focus on Rocco Klein, a tough but honest homicide cop who is the investigator of a murder that Strike's brother has confessed to--but he knows something doesn't make sense. As the story proceeds, the two characters come into more frequent contact, and the ending of the book--which is not what you might expect--is excellent. Price apparently spent fives years researching on the streets before he wrote this book, and it shows. The heart of this book is not the crimes, but the people, and we are introduced to some extraordinary characters who run the gamut of the scale from honest to dishonest. Price's writing is colorful but never obtuse or difficult to understand. You'll feel like you're on the streets or at the station house, liquor store, or corner store with Strike and Rocco. All in all, it isn't nearly as violent as The Wire, which couldn't resist the sudden gun-to-the-head wasting of some of its more memorable characters. But the murders in Clockers, especially the last one, bring the story home in a visceral manner to any reader with a heart and soul. Highly highly recommended. This is a pretty flawless book and well worth the investment of your time. ( )
  datrappert | May 15, 2020 |
You know from the very first sentence that you're in the hands of a master. If you loved the great TV series "The Wire," you'll love this book. (Price also wrote several episodes of "The Wire"). ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
An excellent, deeply researched story, a richly painted world. The procedural stuff is good, but it drags on a bit, and it doesn't have the power of the simple observations about life on the corner and in a cheap cop suit.

This one stays with you, largely due to one of its many similarities to The Wire: gripping stories, clearly plucked from real life. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
Dense and detailed dialog. Not easy to read and the topic and characters didn't engage or catch my interest. It may be a New Classic because of a different genre it fits? ( )
  deldevries | Jul 14, 2017 |

Price, RichardAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Torberg, PeterÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of the land of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.

And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants; and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.
-- Numbers 13: 32-33
With deepest love for my wife, Judy Hudson, and my daughters, Annie and Gen
Strike spotted her: baby fat, baby face: Shanelle or Shanette, fourteen years ond maybe, standing there with that queasy smile, trying to work up the nerve.

USA TODAY's decription below is erroneous - Price published several novels before Clockers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,599,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible