Rescue Me by Christy Reece

Despite the low rating of this book, I think this was a great start to this series. I really liked the characters, although there were times whre I almost threw my kindle into the nearest wall from all my frustrations, but that too passed after a while. The history that connects the two main characters, Eden and Jordan had a very dumb start in my opinion, but there was this amazing thing called character development and things got a hundred times better. Can't wait to see what the other books will bring, but I have the feeling they'll just keep getting better and better. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Wow! The first few pages had be all teared up, and that's a rarity for a first-in-a-series book.
The story starts off with a glimpse in the life of 13 year old Devon Winters. Her mother, Alise is absolutely vile. The only stability in Devon's life comes from her stepfather, Henry and his godson, Jordan. At age 21, Devon has grown into a beautiful young woman. She's been in love with Jordan since childhood, but she fears he will only ever see her as a kid. When the opportunity presents itself, she seeks him out and the attraction is instantaneous, but he doesn't recognize her. Her one wish is to finally have Jordan see her as a woman and not the child he's known all his life. That same night, Devon Winters' life as she knows it ends with a tragedy. Like a phoenix from the ashes, Devon disintegrates and Eden St. Claire emerges.

Seven years later Eden is now an undercover agent working for LCR (Last Chance Rescue) which deals with rescuing abducted children. Her life seems to be under control until a new agent joins the ranks and becomes her new partner - Jordan. On assignment, she gets to learn more about him and she'll have to decide whether or not to tell him the truth about her identity or continue to uphold the elaborate lie that is her life.

The writing was really good, from the suspense and the development of the bad guys, to the character arc, especially that of our heroine. Ms Reece gave us some really loathsome villains to hate throughout the story. I loved the strong character of Eden. She could kick some major butt but she was still very feminine and vulnerable. Her struggles when her past and present collided made me cry and fist pump my way through the story.

Jordan was a great male hero. Jordan's treatment towards Devon after their first romantic encounter was incredibly cruel. Given the fact that he knew exactly how Alise felt about Devon and how she treated her daughter, as well as her husband, I just can't understand how he could so easily believe the lies she'd told him about Devon's behavior. Fast forward to the present and in light of Jordan figuring out Eden's secret, he comes across as extremely callous, a real prick. And that from someone who claims to love her. I get that he's angry for being duped/deceived a second time, but I thought he'd learned his lesson the first time and the consequences of his outburst borne from anger. I cringed when he insulted her again the way that he did. . I think he managed to redeem himself in the end. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |
Read for Fun and BookClub
Challenges: TBR Shelf, Mystery/Thriller
Overall Rating 4.50
Story Rating 4.50
Character Rating 4.50

First thought when finished: Glad I bought the whole series!

What I Loved: What didn't I love? Seriously this was an adrenaline filled, action packed, well-paced thriller with a love story to boot! While Eden and Jordan were the center of this story, they were flanked by some other amazing characters. In fact, the "bad" guys were well characterized also. I felt involved with the story from page 1. I think what I loved the most was it never seemed far fetched or unbelievable!

What I Liked: Last Chance Rescue (LCR) Enterprises is a fascinating business and one I hope exists in some way in real life. I like the idea of rescuing women/children from horrendous situations. I even like the way they operate by taking on the cases even if the employer is less than worthy. In all cases the children are innocent and they remember that!

Final Thought: Get this series if you haven't read it! Seriously, it is that good!

Author:
[ai:Christy Reece|2741576|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1247338825p2/2741576.jpg]

Books:
[bc:Rescue Me|6192480|Rescue Me (Last Chance Rescue, #1)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343282599s/6192480.jpg|6372781][bc:Return to Me|5983365|Return to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #2)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343282731s/5983365.jpg|6156817][bc:Run to Me|6192481|Run to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #3)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343281922s/6192481.jpg|6372782][bc:Last Chance|6505173|Last Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #6)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343360064s/6505173.jpg|6696762][bc:No Chance|6541839|No Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #4)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343359508s/6541839.jpg|6734087][bc:Second Chance|6541840|Second Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #5)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343359849s/6541840.jpg|6734088][bc:Sweet Justice|9948683|Sweet Justice (Last Chance Rescue, #7)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343362470s/9948683.jpg|14842242][bc:Sweet Revenge|10353459|Sweet Revenge (Last Chance Rescue, #8)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343362359s/10353459.jpg|15256366][bc:Sweet Reward: A Last Chance Rescue Novel|11348076|Sweet Reward (Last Chance Rescue, #9)|Christy Reece|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343362222s/11348076.jpg|16277685]
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
Jordan and Eden/Devin's hard fought story. It takes years and alot of misunderstanding to get together. I love the chemistry between them. Her story is tragic but inspirational. ( )
  hbos0527 | Jul 1, 2011 |
Christy Reece is one of the queens of romantic suspense.

She is an author who creates stories that are not confined to the romance genre, and the romance is all the better for it. Characters are realistic, grounding the adventure and action of the story.

Eden and Jordan would have to be one of my favourite fictional couples. The trials in their relationship are heart wrenching. This is not some simple romance genre relationship – this is something so deep that the ending is all the more satisfying for it.

Reece’s fictional Last Chance Rescue agency is fascinating, and the operations they work on are responsible for moving the plot forward at an exciting pace. As with a handful of other romantic suspense authors out there, Christy Reece keeps her issues grounded in reality, making the story all the more powerful.

I do not consider myself a strict romance reader – I need much more to my stories. And Christy Reece delivers a series readers of any genre will enjoy. ( )
  ZosiaCanberra | Jan 24, 2010 |

A covert operative of Last Chance Rescue Enterprises (LCR), Eden St. Claire has made secrets her life’s work. Seven years ago, an evening of emotional vulnerability and pure pleasure almost destroyed her. Now Eden wears her beauty like a mask, concealing any hint of vulnerability or demons of her past. A daring rescue of an innocent girl on a Greek island leads Eden to a new partner. Jordan Montgomery, new to LCR, has been looking for Eden—though he knows her by another name, from another time. But his search for her is overshadowed by a case that’s gone international. A powerful, ruthless, organized network is stealing women and children around the world—as a lover, a traitor, and a killer all wait for Eden’s next move.

Eden St. Claire's latest mission for Last Chance Rescue Enterprises brings her back into unwelcome contact with an old lover, Jordan Montgomery, as together they investigate a kidnapping ring that focuses on women and children.

Christy Reece is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,485,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible